Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
woefully unprepared
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you with basements- if you are in a flood plain or live in an area with a low water table, do you have your things organized in such a way that they will be safe from a few inches or feet of water? You may have a generator, but will someone be able to operate it? What if you are occupied or simply not home? Just food for thought.

·
Banned
647 Posts
I have a standby genny and a back-up sump pump. I need not be home for them to operate:thumb:

Of course, if I lived in an area with a low water table, I might not even need them:)

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Yes. And I've got flashlights and candles to help me go through them. All are elevated and in easy to find locations. No generator, but I don't think I need one, given a supply of wood.

HippieSurvivalist

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have either candles and matches or a flashlight in every room of my house. In fact my computer where I spend most of my time has a little flashlight right next to me on the desk. If I happen to be downstairs in the basement watching TV and the lights go out, I have a couple of those battery operated touch wall lights to hit and then I can see. Most of my stuff is in the basement anyway. I made preparations after a big electrical storm one time and the lights went out on me and I had to use my son's lighter to find my candles. I made SURE that would never happen to me again. I now keep a flashlight in every room. The bedroom is where I keep the big D cell maglite, I once saw a video that said those can be used as weapons if needed. I also keep a couple of battery operated scanner radios so I can know what is going on in the community if something happens...Probably not perfect but better than being left in the dark.;

·
Registered
173 Posts
I feel extremely confident my basement wont leak in my lifetime. Eco-block built with double waterproofing, drain tile on the inside and outside of the wall also have a drain tile under the entire floor. Its a walkout basement if I ever see water making it up the hill from the low area below I will GTFOOD. Food is stored in rubbermaid totes, 5 gal buckets and 15 gal drums with clamp on lids, they would make a great raft I suppose.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
being in an house on the highest hill in town my basement will be safe flash lights are in every room. plus even if there weren't flash lighs there you can use the screen of your cell phone for very low levels of light but hey its something right oh that and i'm a smoker EDC includes lighter

·
woefully unprepared
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My line of thinking was more long term issues with flooding. But I'm glad you mentioned the flashlights because I just recommited to equiping just about every room and vehicle as I spent the evening on the side of a dark road changing a flat. Some passerby graciously provided me some headlight but it was still no simple task in the location I was at. Flashlights and preplaced tools are a very good thing.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
The floods came pretty close this spring but didn't touch us here. I don't think anything is flood proof if things get bad enough. For us it would be just like bugging out. All that stuff is ready to go, toss it in the car or if we couldn't get out that way, the boat and we'd be off.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
I'm at 2000+ feet. If anything starts threatening me with flooding, I should have time to build an ark. As for my preps, I have a dozen flashlights, fifty gallons of gas, and four batteries. As for my actions, I'm probably staying in bed... The fridge is propane. Electricity is for lights and luxury.

-g

1 - 9 of 9 Posts