Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, some of you may have noticed ive stepped up my preps over the past week have been posting in the This weeks additions thread.Also some of you know that when I first found this site my wife thought I was a little crazy, but after a month or so finally came around and really thought we should prep a little at a time.
Well that brings us to the past week, and although she doesnt come on the site she has been trying to warn her friends and family to Wake Up! :thumb:
and now she has wanted a drastic increase in preps.
Well im off to bed in a few cause I got some more shopping to do tomorrow, and I need to research generators and pick up another propane tank or two, all at the wifes request.
Im not trying to brag to much:taped: Im just letting all you people out there that have better halves that havnt woken up yet know there is hope. Trust me if you met my wife a year ago you would have never believed she would be a prepper.
Now if I could get her to eat other meat besides, bacon, chicken, breakfast sausage,and pepperoni we would be doing alright:D:

·
bad grammar deal with it
452 Posts
i just had the talk again with my wife and apparently she took it the completely wrong way and told me i sound like a wacko politician........... :(

·
it tickles dont it
228 Posts
i just had the talk again with my wife and apparently she took it the completely wrong way and told me i sound like a wacko politician........... :(

lol

Gotta tread lightly with some.for mine it was katrina and the events that went down in NOLA. Then she grew from there of course with my help here and there of course;) Now if i walk in and say i think we need xxxxxxxx and its gonna cost xxxxxx last year it was xxxxx if we wait it may be +XXX next year, what wait and spend more.;) it seems to work LOL

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine realized things were changing when she had to pay more at the grocery store and gas station. Also in the beggining I let her know we are preparing for any situation, weather its war, nature, terrorism, etc.
See when I first tried to talk to her she didnt want to here it (and thought it was another hobby, since I seam to go through them fast :p) because she wanted things to be like when we were kids and didnt want to worry about it.
Its a topic that you have to be careful bringing up, or you can sound a little crazy.
And up until the last week I was the one deciding for the most part on what to buy, with just a little extra money. Now shes making suggestions on what to buy, I think because she has seen her boss/ company owner lose a ton of retirement money in the stock market. Last week they have crossed the $100,000 mark in losses.

·
bad grammar deal with it
452 Posts
lol

Gotta tread lightly with some.for mine it was katrina and the events that went down in NOLA. Then she grew from there of course with my help here and there of course;) Now if i walk in and say i think we need xxxxxxxx and its gonna cost xxxxxx last year it was xxxxx if we wait it may be +XXX next year, what wait and spend more.;) it seems to work LOL
i dunno i think i may have scared her.....to me she seemed to have grasped the fact the economy isnt so hot because two weeks ago i spoke to her about investing a few grand into the stock market nothing really long term something to just try and double up our money and if things do eventually rebound no sense in buying stock thats normally over 40 dollars a share that is right now a little over a dollar. then this week i call her and shes trying to dissuade me because of the things going on with the economy. on top of that we got hit by ike and i had just come home from leave and so realistically we werent all that prepared and she acknowledged that. i dunno woman are damned confusing sometimes lol. i guess ill have to use the fact were moving to ft carson colorado as an excuse to stock on as much "camping gear" as i can and the food ill blame on possible snow ins. being we have both been born and raised in texas i think im the only thinking ahead as to possible situations where being prepared would have its advantages. could be maybe once we get to colorado though and we get back into camping things might naturally take over who knows.:confused:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Mine is starting to like the fact that when she runs out of an item in the kitchen , no driving to the Food Lion just go to the supply room.I do push the envelope at times like last nite I stated my next project is a whiskey still. This was too much info for her!

·
Banned
326 Posts
same here, my wife thought I was nutty for buying H2O purification stuff and stocking up on ammo but now she's all about it as well. No more grocery shopping at the Bi-Lo or Publix, we've become a Sam's Club family.

·
Come quickly Lord
2,049 Posts
So, some of you may have noticed ive stepped up my preps over the past week have been posting in the This weeks additions thread.Also some of you know that when I first found this site my wife thought I was a little crazy, but after a month or so finally came around and really thought we should prep a little at a time.
Well that brings us to the past week, and although she doesnt come on the site she has been trying to warn her friends and family to Wake Up! :thumb:
and now she has wanted a drastic increase in preps.
Well im off to bed in a few cause I got some more shopping to do tomorrow, and I need to research generators and pick up another propane tank or two, all at the wifes request.
Trust me if you met my wife a year ago you would have never believed she would be a prepper.

She sounds like me. I've spent $200 already this month on prepping with foods. A year ago, I would have thought this was crazy. My husband tried to talk me into it and it took me a while. Now he doesn't do much of it because I've taken charge of the food part of the prepping. We handle the rest together. There is hope. It took me about 6 months to really catch on.

I must add that I've gotten obsessive about it. I use a black marker to label expiration dates on all of the food. I keep older items in the front. I have an inventory sheet that I add to or subtract from each time items are added or taken out. I count inventory as well every week. We have about 6 months of food and 1 months worth of water (about 18 gallons @ 128 ounces per gallon). Neither of us drink 64 ounces a day and we could survive on 30-32 ounces of water each per day so about a month's worth plus some for food.

·
Banned
653 Posts
Now shes making suggestions on what to buy, I think because she has seen her boss/ company owner lose a ton of retirement money in the stock market. Last week they have crossed the $100,000 mark in losses.
A company losing $100,000? Hell I've lost over $60k in personal holdings myself!!!!! So all things considered, a company losing $100k ain't too bad all things considered.....

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
woman just love to shop, for anything . once she figures out that prepping equals lots of shopping she will be onboard.

Oh some may call you sexist but boy oh boy it is the truth...I have gone from shoe and craft stores to the hardware and camping stores. Both gave me great pleasure..so much so I feel like lighting a smoke after but the latter is a far better investment as it is going to mean maybe not life and death but 100% for sure a bleak miserable depressing life vs life as we somewhat remember it.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A company losing $100,000? Hell I've lost over $60k in personal holdings myself!!!!! So all things considered, a company losing $100k ain't too bad all things considered.....
Im sorry I didnt make that clear.. that wasnt the companies money, that was the owners personal money that they had saved for retirement.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
woman just love to shop, for anything . once she figures out that prepping equals lots of shopping she will be onboard.
Normally I would agree, but my wife doesnt like to shop and is extreamly thrifty, the only enjoyment she gets out of it is seeing if her receipt says she saved more then she spent. An example would be, total spent 80.00 total saved 120.00. She clips coupons constantly, shops only sales and watches adds, there is no impulse buying, we go in and get only whats on the list.
Another example is a store gives extra bucks, so she has the cashier ring up stuff seperatly then uses the extra bucks. she has gotten me a new gillete razore three times for .22 they each come with a razor head and a refill head, so its like getting a 6 pack of the disposable heads for under a buck and if you have seen what those refills cost you know what kind of savings that is.
Shes went to school although she didnt finish for an accounting degree, also shes the resposible one, if I had control over the money, we would have a ton of guns and be sleeping in our cars :p Im the impulse shopper lol

·
I hear the bagpipes
279 Posts
2007-12-27_17-58-26DSC_0065.jpg

No problem prepping with my wife. Here she is getting ready to send a little commie lead downrange. We have been prepping in some form or another for years. She is fully on board, and is a daily inspiration.

·
Registered
18,817 Posts
I came at prepping like a ball out of a cannon. I switch to homemade cooking and organic canned foods(I'm learning to can my own). I have been trying to get my hubby in on it. He is a bit resistant though. He just recently started building our BOV and is allowing me to turn his Office into a prep room. He's coming along, and I love him so much for supporting me(even if he's not totally convinced yet).

·
BM2 Hollywood
667 Posts
My wife has started to recognize what I have been saying for the last few years has started to come true. I gave her 300.00 the other day, told her to get any and everything that she may not be able to get in a few weeks from now. Not that I necessary expect something like that to happen, but I told her to use that mind set when going to the commissary. Anything nonperishable. Food, soap, medical,women stuff, battery's, etc. This is on top of everything that I have gotten for the last two years. I think that she really started to come around after what has been happening to the economy. I started talking about what I thought about what was going to happen to the economy over a year ago. I sold all the stock from the Co. I am working at, and bought several oz of gold and silver, and added a thousand to the home safe. Additionally, even though I live in the city, we are getting ready to move to a different spot a little better to defend if necessary. Defend from what, I don't know but it is a place that would not necessary be the first to be broken into.

Also, I cant say for sure yet, but the place I work at, it might seem that the shipments are getting here in such a way that it might seem that the shelf's are getting harder to fill at night. Again, cant say for sure, but there are small things that I am seeing that may not mean anything, but feeling and knowing some of the things that I believe in, I told my wife about it and told her to "go to town and get the stuff".

Hint, look at the shipping process from over seas to the U.S. It takes money to get the stuff here, or actually CREDIT. The next few weeks will show if I am just thinking too hard or if there is really something there.

Reactions: test

·
Registered
145 Posts
If any of you have wives who enjoy reading fiction for the fun of it may i recommend S.M. Stirling's Emberverse series (which begins with the book "Dies The Fire" I also recommend it to everyone here, it's just good reading and it sparks a few thoughts along the way) and anything by Robert Ansin Heinlein (but particularly his earlier stuff). Get them interested in reading fictional stories that involve preparedness being useful.

Also, do tread lightly. "survivalism" is actually seen as a fringe sort of thing and for many people the idea of preparing for a SHTF scenario is an admission that it could happen which is a big honkin' leap for a lot of people.

·
DONT TREAD ON ME
153 Posts
Ya my Wife thinks I am a little crazy, but she has been ignoring what I have been up to. She asked why their were cans of food under the bed and I just said "because there isn't anywhere else to put them" and walked away and then the two 30 gal water containers she asked what I bought them for I just answered "to store water of course". She was obviously concerned for my mental stability. Hopefully she'll come around, then I won't have to be all secret squirrel and prep like a kid who just wet the bed "no no I just like clean sheets". ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts