Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Swamp Yankee
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Temperatures are good here in North Central Mass and much of mid- and central- New England and across the Midwest. Temps will be above freezing during the day all this week, with overnight lows below freezing and the ground still frozen as well.

I'm putting out a test tap today on my highest producing tree. I'm looking forward to gallons of syrup this year -- seems like one of the best starts I've seen since I began sugaring 5 years ago.

·
angel waiting
4,071 Posts
Love maple products especially maple cream yummmmm. We have even replaced using real maple syrup for sugar in baking recipes. Good luck to you.:thumb:

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I tapped a couple of days ago and have 4 gallons from the two taps I did. About a gall/tap/day. Have to work on some more soon but I only do enough for me and the kids.

·
Blackhorse Cav 3/11 ACR
584 Posts
Sap running some in central Maine. One tree produced a gallon yesterday, some 3/4 gal..,others none. May have enough for a boil come weekend. Early, only started this early once in 20 years.
The snow here is four feet deep so the spiles are probably 5-6 ft above the ground.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
The last few days I have ended up with minimal sap. Like 1/4 gallon from two taps over 2 days. Hopefully there will be better temperature swings to increase flow.

·
Swamp Yankee
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The last few days I have ended up with minimal sap. Like 1/4 gallon from two taps over 2 days. Hopefully there will be better temperature swings to increase flow.
Same here -- it's supposed to be colder this week. I hope it'll pick up.

·
Blackhorse Cav 3/11 ACR
584 Posts
Starting 1st boil of the season this morning. Sap has been off and on but have collected about 20 gallons sap since tapping a week ago.
Expecting a good run today so may end up boiling 25-30 gallons by days end.
Suppose to shut off again here for awhile with rain then cold day time temps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
we started up here in Mi about a week and a half ago, the temps are all over the place started out good then warmed up then cool again and now looks like its going to warm up again . so far gotten about 16 gal of sap . boiled some down and got 7 1/2 pint. have the other 8 gallon to boil down waiting for more sap like to do at least 9 gallon or so to make it worth while.

·
In Memory
10,934 Posts
You guys are fortunate. We planted about 25 sugar maples at out BOL near 20 years ago.
Still waiting for them to get large enough to productively tap.

·
Blackhorse Cav 3/11 ACR
584 Posts
Good day for sugarin, got almost 3 qts of the liquid gold .

New set up this year. Concrete blocks on a slab, new 15 gal SS pan w drain valve and also a 5 gallon pre heater pan toward the front of evaporator. Wow this worked great. Could boil 40 gallons of sap in under 8 hrs with this rig.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
How do you grade Maple Syrup?

I'm looking forward to gallons of syrup this year -- seems like one of the best starts I've seen since I began sugaring 5 years ago.
I'm curious: how is Maple Syrup graded? I ask because grade "B" tastes better to me than grade "A", and I don't know why.

William Warren

·
Swamp Yankee
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm curious: how is Maple Syrup graded? I ask because grade "B" tastes better to me than grade "A", and I don't know why.
Grade B is thicker -- boiled longer, higher sugar concentration. It's generally used in recipes. It's also closer to the thickness of non-maple "pancake syrup" that's made with high fructose corn syrup and flavorings, but tastes a WHOLE lot better. Well, what used to be Grade B ... which is now Commercial Grade, I guess, from bunkerbuster's chart.

I take my Grade A Light or Medium Amber that I initially make and boil down a cup for about 15 minutes. That turns it into Commercial Grade, which I then use to make Maple Creme Brûlée or candied nuts.

Today I boiled down a little over 5 gallons of sap and got a little under 2 pints of medium amber.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Gosh I'm so jealous. I'm in an apartment now but when I look for some land and a house I'll be looking for some maples on property. Then I'll plant more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Blackhorse Cav 3/11 ACR
584 Posts
We have pulled the taps with sap production falling off and very warm temps approaching.
Overall was a so so season , sap was off and on over a 7 week period.
Came up with 3 gallons of syrup in 3 boils.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
How much sap can you collect from one tree before you have to worry about the health of the tree? What is the actual ration of sap to syrup???

NGH

·
Blackhorse Cav 3/11 ACR
584 Posts
If you choose healthy maple trees 10 " diameter and up there is no harm to the tree as it only gives up about 10% of its total sap over the course of the sap flow season . Sugar content of sugar maple tree sap is about 2% usually. Red maple tree sap less.
35-40 gallons sugar maple sap = 1 galllon of syrup.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts