1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
Most of those trials are college students looking to make extra money. I knew a couple that did them and it's sort of like prison. You get your cot, a jumpsuit, and they have open areas for entertainment. The doctor draws blood multiple times to make sure you aren't dying. You still might, since they're testing for drug side affects. That list of side affects at the end of the commercials comes from somewhere.

·
Sinner w/ a great Savior
3,919 Posts
It might be a good idea. One, you're likely to be in intense observation in an isolation room. This bug is quite survivable if you have excellent (intense) care. And two, you'll get it early then be immune. (Assuming no reinfection. I believe the reinfection stories are from catching the second strain. Perhaps they'll inject both.)

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
9,695 Posts
It might be a good idea. One, you're likely to be in intense observation in an isolation room. This bug is quite survivable if you have excellent (intense) care. And two, you'll get it early then be immune. (Assuming no reinfection. I believe the reinfection stories are from catching the second strain. Perhaps they'll inject both.)
You may very well be right but what about when it mutates to a third and a fourth and many more different strains in order to ensure it's survival?

·
Sinner w/ a great Savior
3,919 Posts
You may very well be right but what about when it mutates to a third and a fourth and many more different strains in order to ensure it's survival?
It's been shown to mutate slowly. And sometimes mutations reduce the fatality rate. Sometimes.

But anyway, I'm not saying any of us here should go get injected, just saying it might be good for someone. They might pick up some cash and now they are immune. To that strain, anyway :thumb:

·
Lost in the Woods
541 Posts
Most of those trials are college students looking to make extra money. I knew a couple that did them and it's sort of like prison. You get your cot, a jumpsuit, and they have open areas for entertainment. The doctor draws blood multiple times to make sure you aren't dying. You still might, since they're testing for drug side affects. That list of side affects at the end of the commercials comes from somewhere.
I actually did the human guinea pig thing when I was a freshman in college to get enough money to fly home at Christmas (I had never even flown in life before at the time).

Fortunately it involved taking different antihistamines in super doses to test for anti nausea and not something that would have potentially fatal effects or permanent impairments. Took the drugs, attached electrodes to your head and spun you around in a chair or standing rotating base (did you know your eyeballs have polarity and they can measure your response with your eye movement with your eyes closed). Tough to stay awake on taking 10-20 times normal dosage of antihistamines and not allowed to take any stimulant including caffeine to stay awake. I fell asleep everywhere for days I was taking it. Then you stop and its wide eyed no sleep for 24 hours straight as your system withdraws.

Ahhh youth.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,931 Posts
When have we ever seen the Governments all over the world react like they have "over the flu"?
When have the stock markets reacted like this?
This likely will affect world wide business & trade, world economies may tank hey "but just the flu"

Yeah Ok

Besides the illness and death, permanent lung damage (if you survive it) supply chains disurpted, this is going to very likely affect most of us in big ways, unlike "the flu"

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
When have we ever seen the Governments all over the world react like they have "over the flu"?
This likely will affect world wide business & trade, world economies may tank hey "but just the flu"

Yeah Ok

Besides the illness and death, permanent lung damage (if you survive it) supply chains disurpted, this is going to very likely affect most of us in big ways, unlike "the flu"
humans aren’t rational sometimes

It’s a new strain of virus 🦠 that we haven’t seen before and it’s got people
On edge

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
It appears that COVID-19 will end up around .6%, possibly 1% overall mortality rate
Flu is .1%
So COVID-19 is much more likely to kill you
Since the flu is far more prevalent, as are other things that kill you, the number of deaths from
COVID -19 will be miniscule in comparison
It is not a flu virus
It is a Corona-virus
Both flu viruses and corona viruses are well known to scientists and the medical community
So mortality comparisons are mostly rationalizations
Everyone has an opinion
We will see what is what in the fullness of time

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
When have we ever seen a lying and contradictory media full of fake and incomplete "news" like we have now?

When have we ever had social media seen as the final arbiter of truth in the eyes of the ignorant masses?

Sorry...the "evidence" you are using to inform your opinion gives me a completely different opinion.

It's not that bad of a disease.

It is that bad of a "thing" ONLY because of the media and stupid people, the disease isn't doing much damage on any real scale, only the BS statistical exaggerations and misinterpretations combined with knee jerk over-reactions are causing any large scale trouble.:cool:

·
Registered
34,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When have we ever seen a lying and contradictory media full of fake and incomplete "news" like we have now?

When have we ever had social media seen as the final arbiter of truth in the eyes of the ignorant masses?

Sorry...the "evidence" you are using to inform your opinion gives me a completely different opinion.
Ummm..... You get that he was talking about Drastic Gov action and the stock market Losing trillions of dollars... Right?:cool:

Because you are talking about the media and social media which are SEPARATE tooics. (And the 2 he mentioned happened BEFORE the 2 you do.... Soo yours cannot be the driving force behind HIS.)

Might want to reconsider your "opinion" or recheck your 'evidence'....

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,931 Posts
Well, oddly the media was FAR behind on this one; so that point is not really valid.

But I'm sure so many different world leaders are "overreacting to a nothing" because of our media:rolleyes:

This is still in its infancy, see if you want to proclaim that in a couple of months

I can wait

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
I posted it before
Here it is again
There only reliable way to get accurate data is with testing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfire View Post
"There's plenty of people with better credentials than you that are scared
****less."

And vice versa

Many/most people get infected with COVID-19 and have zero/minor symptoms
Zero......wow

The final number should be 1% or less, probably less

"The fact that the U.S. lags in testing for the virus means that public health officials do not have a good idea of just how many Americans are already infected. That makes it difficult to estimate the disease's real mortality rate. In contrast, South Korea has been more aggressive, testing more than 140,000 people for the virus. Doctors there have confirmed more than 6,000 cases, yielding a fatality rate of 0.6 percent."
https://reason.com/2020/03/06/trump-...t-is-he-right/

"With 6,767 confirmed cases as of late Friday, South Korea has more coronavirus patients than any country besides China. That high number may in part be a function of the country’s sweeping testing program that involved tens of thousands of people. When balanced against the country’s 44 deaths, the case-fatality ratio is less than 0.7%."
https://www.latimes.com/science/stor...keeps-changing

I know it is a buzz-kill for team doom and gloom
If you are a member of Team Panic, at least consider the content of the articles I linked before you flame me.

On the right, Reason, and on the Left, The Los Angeles Times

Both have people with "...better credentials than you...who are not scared
****less."

BTW the Princess Cruise with an older population skew is right in line with this

BTW Right now 7,755 cases and 61 deaths in South Korea
So still under 1% right around .7%

1 - 20 of 25 Posts