Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband has a head injury and stroke so he can be a little stubborn and difficult at times.

So he woke me up this morning, told me he couldn't sleep and listened to Coast to Coast, and they were advertising a LTS freeze dried kit with "breakfast lunch and dinner"!

I told him it was a bad idea, but I would be DELIGHTED to help him assemble some Mountain House and Backpacker's Pantry meals. We like those brands. He said no, he wanted the kit.

I told him the breakfast in the kit is likely just a packet of oatmeal in mylar. He was very disappointed.

It is encouraging he wants more ready food storage - I have a lot of beans and rice and we need more freeze dried, BUT frustrating he wanted a kit. When I googled it wise and my patriot came up and I don't think either of them are any good from what I remember.

I said I would take it here and see if you guys knew of a kit, but I think the best thing is to buy servings - the 1-2 meals, try them, and then buy what we like. He did that with the Backpacker's Pantry Red Beans and Rice, he adores that and we have a couple #10 cans.

But if you know of a good kit I will tell him.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,697 Posts
OK, I'll break out one of my secret links: https://coyotecamp.com/

They make daily kits for emergency personnel.

Problem is they don't offer long life kits. They put only a 1 yr date on them.

Honestly, you are better to make these on your own. Build a long life kit from store tins, MH packets, and MRE components from MRE Depot and then seal up the daily kit in a big vacuum bag.

·
Beware of the dog!
1,939 Posts
Buy it separately and tell him.it's a kit.
If he is adamant about a kit maybe you can order up something similar but better and when it arrives talk it up as what he expected, and maybe say they added in a few freebees to sweeten the deal.

Best of luck, at least he is looking in the right direction. =-)

·
Hank Hill in Lingerie
752 Posts
Hmm, how about a compromise?

Costco.com has some emergency food kits, including a few Mountain House kits. The "right size" Mountain House kit, 30 days/204 servings for $489.99, is out of stock, of course, but they do have a couple of other MH kits, including a 13 pouch meal kit for $74.99.

There are also a number of MH offerings featuring several #10 cans of the same meal. You *could* build a large kit by combining several of these, but that could get pricey. Each set of the same meal runs from $140 to $170.

There's a MH 1 year/1 person kit, 2814 servings for $5000. :0! I am surprised that there is not more meal variety in this kit, especially for the price.

If the point is to try a kit, or to have a kit on hand to ease his mind, there's an EasyPrep cook in bag meal kit, breakfast and lunch/dinner, 227 servings, for $139.99. I'm not familiar with the brand and there are no reviews, but in my experience Costco has a good track record with returns. I return items from Costco.com at the local warehouse.

https://www.costco.com/all-emergency-food.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts