Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Sic semper tyrannis
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with these shotguns.

I have come into possession of one in 12ga. Initial inspection showed some surface rust and some wear from use. Basically, the bluing has started to wear off on the shell tube and the push rod.

After that inspection, I've finally come on the time to disassemble, thoroughly clean and then reassemble. Getting it apart was pretty simple, but I don't have a guide for reassmbly that shows how all of the parts go together. Yeah, I paid attention to how it came apart, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/sG_pA_ithica37_2.html

That is the guide I've used for the take down. Right now, it's in all of it's individual parts awaiting some degrease and a nice oily rag. My main concern is the surface rust. Right now, it hasn't started pitting and a visual inspection of the breach block and other moving parts have no indicators of rust. Apparently, the grease and grime is good for keeping the innards in good, working order.

So, should I send this thing off to have it re blued or should I parkerize it? There's a few locations I can ship it to that will do the work as well as one of the gunsmiths who once worked at Ithaca who will refinish the gun.

What do you think?

Any links to manuals or take-down/reassembly instructions are appreciated.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Ithicas are excellent shotguns. Law enforcement agencies have used ithicias many times in the past.

As far as refinishing, go with the original finish again. If this is a beater gun, then just do some basic touch-up cold blue.

I have no pretty guns in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with these shotguns.

I have come into possession of one in 12ga. Initial inspection showed some surface rust and some wear from use. Basically, the bluing has started to wear off on the shell tube and the push rod.

After that inspection, I've finally come on the time to disassemble, thoroughly clean and then reassemble. Getting it apart was pretty simple, but I don't have a guide for reassmbly that shows how all of the parts go together. Yeah, I paid attention to how it came apart, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/sG_pA_ithica37_2.html

That is the guide I've used for the take down. Right now, it's in all of it's individual parts awaiting some degrease and a nice oily rag. My main concern is the surface rust. Right now, it hasn't started pitting and a visual inspection of the breach block and other moving parts have no indicators of rust. Apparently, the grease and grime is good for keeping the innards in good, working order.

So, should I send this thing off to have it re blued or should I parkerize it? There's a few locations I can ship it to that will do the work as well as one of the gunsmiths who once worked at Ithaca who will refinish the gun.

What do you think?

Any links to manuals or take-down/reassembly instructions are appreciated.
you have one of the best pump shotguns ever.If you hold the trigger down and pump it will fire without delay almost as fast as a semi.I have had one since 1995 and love it more than any other.This shotgun only can TAKE 2 3/4 INCH ROUNDS.If i'm not mistaken thats all ithaca m37.
Keep and get it up to par you will love it if you don't i will be shocked.The navy seals used it back in nam and maybe even today.Also l.a.p.d uses it.

·
Sic semper tyrannis
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This shotgun, if I've found the right info on the serial number was either made prior to 1955 or was made in 1965 or 66. Some of the descriptions of the pre '55 models match my shotgun.

So no one has any ideas where I could get a manual from?

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
This shotgun, if I've found the right info on the serial number was either made prior to 1955 or was made in 1965 or 66. Some of the descriptions of the pre '55 models match my shotgun.

So no one has any ideas where I could get a manual from?
Why don't you try contacting Ithaca direct...they're still is business, the third resurrection...

You may also want to try Steve's Pages

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi hun,i to have an Ithaca mod.37 shotgun,the best place for imformation is at www.diamondgunsmithing.com it is owned by one of Ithacas master gunsmith,found full schematics and origonal owners manuals for my shotgun.found out it was made in 1948,and stil shoots like new,very dependable shotgun in my openion. Hope you have good luck with yours hun.hope the imfo helps. ns,hillbilly

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
A ithaca shotgun is worth restoring. They're great guns. I am looking for a 20 gauge model myself.

If you intended to buy it as a beater gun. It will serve you well.

·
Sic semper tyrannis
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well the time and opportunity finally arrived. I've sent the Ithaca off to Diamond Gunsmithing in Ithaca, New York. I'm looking forward to the results. I'll take pictures. Sorry I don't have any before pictures. Just imagine a 44 year old shotgun that's been used and maybe a little abused and left to sit in it's own grease and grime for maybe a dozen years.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Ithaca 37 is one of the all-time great classic pump guns. They were extremely well-designed and built. And, of course, the bottom-eject feature conveniently drops your empties right at your feet and makes the 37 truly ambidextrous. Personally, yes I would restore the gun...it is definitely worth the expense and effort. They just don't make 'em like the old 37 anymore.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Well the time and opportunity finally arrived. I've sent the Ithaca off to Diamond Gunsmithing in Ithaca, New York. I'm looking forward to the results. I'll take pictures. Sorry I don't have any before pictures. Just imagine a 44 year old shotgun that's been used and maybe a little abused and left to sit in it's own grease and grime for maybe a dozen years.
In case you don't know it also has the fewest moving parts of any pump shotgun as well....

Surface rust clean up well, even pitting will disappear. It's amazing what will cover up with a good finish.

Do you have the ducks?

Have you checked for any proof marks indicating if it was Gov. property?

How long is the barrel? And did yours come with a truglo type thing for a bead?

I have one as well...I paid only $225 for it, but it had some minor damage to the stock...nothing to inhibit function.

I was considering chopping the barrel flush with the tube after a mandatory $200 tax and background check for the SBR.

I haven't decided yet. Please post your results when you get the rifle back, looking forward to pics...

·
Sic semper tyrannis
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In case you don't know it also has the fewest moving parts of any pump shotgun as well....

Surface rust clean up well, even pitting will disappear. It's amazing what will cover up with a good finish.

Do you have the ducks?

Have you checked for any proof marks indicating if it was Gov. property?

How long is the barrel? And did yours come with a truglo type thing for a bead?

I have one as well...I paid only $225 for it, but it had some minor damage to the stock...nothing to inhibit function.

I was considering chopping the barrel flush with the tube after a mandatory $200 tax and background check for the SBR.

I haven't decided yet. Please post your results when you get the rifle back, looking forward to pics...
The only markings identifying the gun are the serial number on the block and the duck pattern etched into both sides. There may be more, but since it's on its way to NY, I can't really look at it any closer.

It does have the truglo bead as well as a poly choke. I'm anxious to get it back.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts