Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think that Italy's public based healthcare system and open borders of Europe will make the damage by the Coronavirus worse? Is this going to be an eye opener to how countries view healthcare and border security? Can this be translated to this years presidential debate?

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,573 Posts
To answer your question: Yes

In fact I think we'll see a lot of country's tighten up border security just to control the potential epidemic, whether they advertise it or not may be a different story though

And yes, I think Trump will capitalize on this, at least I hope so....

·
Registered
450 Posts
I doubt our medical system will be much better. There are so many people who can’t afford to go to the doctor or hospital either because they aren’t insured or their deductible is so high. I’ve heard so many times this week that people shouldn’t go to work sick but how can they stay home for two weeks when most have one week sick pay. It would be laughable if it wasn’t so sad.

·
Only politics *****.
5,589 Posts
Actually, public healthcare means people will visit the doctor sooner, and can get diagnosed sooner (or quarantined or whatever needs to happen). Means it should help over having a large part of your population unable to pay their medical bills and just wait till they really need that doctor or die.

Borderwise: You think there's an open border between China and Italy? Virusses don't stop at borders. You can close every border, and someone coming to the border and caughing at someone on the other side will get you sick just as well. People will go on vacation and come back sick. The only way it'd work is in a completely totalitarian regime which enforces a quarantine at penalty of death, for everyone who enters the country, no matter which nationality (well, it might work against direct infections, plenty of other ways to get infected depending on which virus).

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
No
I don't give a damn what they do in Italy.
I want to know what they will do HERE.
What do you think they should do? Go door to door looking for sick people? Lock everyone in their homes so a virus won't spread? Shoot a sick person on sight? Spend a trillion dollars on vitamin C tablets? If you were in charge and had the power to spend money that isn't yours ... what would your solution be?

·
Registered
34,663 Posts
What do you think they should do? Go door to door looking for sick people? Lock everyone in their homes so a virus won't spread? Shoot a sick person on sight? Spend a trillion dollars on vitamin C tablets? If you were in charge and had the power to spend money that isn't yours ... what would your solution be?
Education is key.

If that were me I would first get into my way back machine and incorporate "public health risks" into the BS high school class known as "health"

I would also incorporate basic economics into classes also (kids used to be taught how to balance a checkbook etc.)

With a better educated and prepared populace people would be less dependant and would be more prepared to roll right over little speed bumps in our vulnerable "just in time" deliver system.

That right there would solve the VAST majority of all disasters. Not just this one.

Ann d it would be far easier to deal with the stupid 5-10% who are never going to learn.

·
Live Free or Die
3,859 Posts
Education is key.

If that were me I would first get into my way back machine and incorporate "public health risks" into the BS high school class known as "health"

I would also incorporate basic economics into classes also (kids used to be taught how to balance a checkbook etc.)

With a better educated and prepared populace people would be less dependant and would be more prepared to roll right over little speed bumps in our vulnerable "just in time" deliver system.

That right there would solve the VAST majority of all disasters. Not just this one.

Ann d it would be far easier to deal with the stupid 5-10% who are never going to learn.
If I had a way back machine, I would go back to the founding of the nation and more clearly word the Constitution including penalties for politicians who violate their oaths to preserve protect and defend the Constitution.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
With this full blown war between Turkey and Syria, Italy will be overrun with refugees. The virus will hitch a ride on the refugees who will spread it all over Europe. If the warmer temperatures of Spring don't curb this virus, this will turn into a global disaster.

·
Retired *****
18,291 Posts
Pretty much ...

With this full blown war between Turkey and Syria, Italy will be overrun with refugees. The virus will hitch a ride on the refugees who will spread it all over Europe. If the warmer temperatures of Spring don't curb this virus, this will turn into a global disaster.
Europe Risks New Migration Meltdown as Erdogan Opens Floodgates

From bloomberg no less.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-turkish-borders-to-europe-for-syria-refugees

Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said more than 76,000 refugees have left the country ...
With more expected to arrive, the prospect of a bloody showdown looms in a continent already gripped by fear and travel restrictions over the spread of the coronavirus, which is morphing into a pandemic and defies national frontiers.
What will europe do?

Turkey currently has about 3.6 million refugees from Syria.
Greece and Bulgaria crack down on Turkish borders as refugees arrive
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...y-and-russia-after-killing-of-troops-in-syria

===

Chaos As Thousands Of Refugees Charge Greek Border En Masse; 15,000 Surge Into EU Border Town

Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis earlier vowed that "no illegal entries into Greece will be tolerated" - and has authorized a militarized response to seal border crossings with Turkey, which has included naval patrols in the Aegean to thwart migrant boats from passing.

At the Kastanies crossing Greek guards were seen firing tear gas on tightly packed groups of hundreds of migrants.
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopoliti...harge-greek-border-en-masse-15000-surge-evros

·
Basket of deplorables
2,361 Posts
Her solution would most likely be to sit around on SB and gripe about how "Orangeman bad"

·
Indefatigable
20,110 Posts
#1 I would listen to the people who know more about the virus than me.
#2 I would hire SCIENTISTS with first hand experience dealing with pandemics, not CEOs, to work on the problem.
#3 I would make sure that clear, simple and concise medical information was passed along to the public by the same person each time. A person qualified to answer questions about infectious diseases. Not about how it's affecting the Dow.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I’d add:
#4. Let anyone with symptoms go to a doctor or hospital cost-free so no one is hesitant about seeking treatment
#5 make sure anyone with symptoms has sick pay and childcare so that they can miss work without fear of not being able to feed their families or not paying rent
I know some of you will say that won’t work. Well, you can’t have it both ways. You either help them to get treatment and not go to work or have them exposing everyone they come in contact with.

·
Basket of deplorables
2,361 Posts
#5 make sure anyone with symptoms has sick pay and childcare so that they can miss work without fear of not being able to feed their families or not paying rent
You do realize anyone with a fever, cold or flu will now get essentially workers compensation for the entire time they have "symptoms" with your idea?

·
Basket of deplorables
2,361 Posts
#2 I would hire SCIENTISTS with first hand experience dealing with pandemics, not CEOs, to work on the problem.
#3 I would make sure that clear, simple and concise medical information was passed along to the public by the same person each time. A person qualified to answer questions about infectious diseases.
You do realize all of that is currently being done by the CDC? They do have pandemic "SCIENTISTS" and not "CEOs" Shockingly the CDC also gives out information on their website https://www.cdc.gov/ I know I'm going out on a limb here but they also employ people "qualified to answer questions about infectious diseases" But you already knew that....... :thumb:

·
Registered
450 Posts
You do realize anyone with a fever, cold or flu will now get essentially workers compensation for the entire time they have "symptoms" with your idea?
They go to work with symptoms or they stay home. People with families living paycheck to paycheck have no choice. That’s a huge chunk of the workforce. If we don’t want to pay them we can’t complain when they go to work.

·
Indefatigable
20,110 Posts
They go to work with symptoms or they stay home. People with families living paycheck to paycheck have no choice. That’s a huge chunk of the workforce. If we don’t want to pay them we can’t complain when they go to work.
Yes and lets not forget that workforce includes nurses and supporting staff. The last hospital I worked in you got 3 sick days a year. If you hit 7 they put you on probation. When you hit 10 they fired you.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Also even when a parent has the sick time they have to use it when their child is sick. My son has 5 sick days per year. Most years by the end of winter he’s used it all staying home with his 2 kids. Their mom is an early childhood school worker who doesn’t have any sick days. It’s really unrealistic to expect everyone to stay home when they’re sick.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts