Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I couldn't sleep this morning because of all the noises that's going on outside. I woke up this morning and found lots of cars stuck in the driveways and parking lots trying to get out of the snow, but no luck... everyone who tried to get out was stuck where ever they were. I thought that someone there must at least have a shovel or some kind of tools to move the snows, but I was wrong. To my surprise, I see that none of them have even a shovel.

One women got out of her driveway by a few feet. She uses a broom to try and sweep the snows off her SUV and driveway so she can get back into her driveway but that didn't help at all whatsoever. I had no idea how long she's been trying to get out or back into her driveway though. She got her SUV out of the driveway and into a awkward position and couldn't get back into her parking space as it gets in the way of other vehicles. Then moments later as I returned from the bathroom, two men came by and offer to help her out by trying to push her SUV back into the driveway. Unfortunately, no luck with their help either.

At the same time about 35 feet away to her left is a men trying to get his car out of his driveway. I don't know how long he's been trying to get out but what's even more shocking to me was that he's trying to dig himself out using a STICK! :xeye: I had to say to myself, these people must be joking! How unprepared can one be? As I was getting myself ready to go out and help, both the lady and the men had already given up and went home leaving their vehicles the way it is.

It just scares me how unprepared people can be at times like these. I don't want to imagine what they'll do or what would happen to them if SHTF. It's just scarily sad!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Last year during heavy snow on the east coast, i saw a lady in a chevy blazer stuck in the snow. She didnt know how to use the 4 wheel drive on her own vehicle..... so i had to show her. :headshake:
amazing, had all that money to spend on something she had no clue how to use. I shouldnt be amazed at how stupid most people are. But every so often, it just sneaks up on me.

·
Real keen on not dying
865 Posts
It just scares me how unprepared people can be at times like these. I don't want to imagine what they'll do or what would happen to them if SHTF. It's just scarily sad!
I imagine that the chap who tried to dig himself out with a stick, might end up having to eat that stick.

The good news for you is that they probably pose no danger to you. They are probably equally unprepared to raid or steal from anyone. :xeye:

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
So I couldn't sleep this morning because of all the noises that's going on outside. I woke up this morning and found lots of cars stuck in the driveways and parking lots trying to get out of the snow, but no luck... everyone who tried to get out was stuck where ever they were. I thought that someone there must at least have a shovel or some kind of tools to move the snows, but I was wrong. To my surprise, I see that none of them have even a shovel.

One women got out of her driveway by a few feet. She uses a broom to try and sweep the snows off her SUV and driveway so she can get back into her driveway but that didn't help at all whatsoever. I had no idea how long she's been trying to get out or back into her driveway though. She got her SUV out of the driveway and into a awkward position and couldn't get back into her parking space as it gets in the way of other vehicles. Then moments later as I returned from the bathroom, two men came by and offer to help her out by trying to push her SUV back into the driveway. Unfortunately, no luck with their help either.

At the same time about 35 feet away to her left is a men trying to get his car out of his driveway. I don't know how long he's been trying to get out but what's even more shocking to me was that he's trying to dig himself out using a STICK! :xeye: I had to say to myself, these people must be joking! How unprepared can one be? As I was getting myself ready to go out and help, both the lady and the men had already given up and went home leaving their vehicles the way it is.

Does it make you want to run up and whisper:

"Where are you going?"

and

"Do you think anyone else will be there either?"

STAY HOME

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
actually to my mind, the Gov from the local to the fed and Business's are partly to blame.

most Business will demand you show up to work unless theres flood waters lapping at their doors. and the gov has never stepped in to say you cant do that. one of the few things I think the Gov should do. in emergencys and disasters no business can fire or punish an employee for not attending. it dang sure would cut down on all the people trying to get to work and having wrecks or freezing to death after breaking down.

Back when Rita. or was it wilma. anyway,the hurricane hit Texas, I was one of the few that stayed in my town. I went driving around and the Gas station about ten miles from my house was manned. it was dead empty, nothing on the shelves and no gas. the girl that was inside, Locked in side I might add. with some rough guys hanging around the parking lot. told me as I drove her to the sherriffs station that she had been told that if she didnt show up to work she would lose her job.

it was a major chain. and she had been stuck there for two days.

anyway just my Opinion

·
Look Behind You!!
1,586 Posts
I know people with the big house, nice cars, vacation house etc. that have nothing
to prepare them. I have had conversations with them and they look at me like I have
foil on my head.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
if you wear a cap over the foil they might not notice.

personal I wear a hat and comb my hair so no one notices I have a point to my ramblings LOL

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Where is the original poster from?

Not that my area of the country is much better. It seems every time it snows the stores run out of shovels. Maybe I'm wrong to assume they can be used more then once.:rolleyes:

I'm not positive about the amount of snow we've gotten so far this year but it's more then normal. And I wouldn't even own a shovel if it weren't against the laws to not shovel your sidewalk. But I do for the mailman. The wife and I use the back entrance and both have 4wd. And I certainly am not going to bother shoveling the driveway and seldom shovel the back walk. Luckily the dogs are good for blazing a trail. Even the cats appreciate that.:thumb:

·
Stay vigilant
162 Posts
I was working in a cops house today and he mentioned that he had a tow truck coming to get his car out of the driveway because there was a light skim of snow and a small incline and he couldn't get out because he had SUMMER tires on. $50 later he was on his way:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I don't know how you people up North put up with the winters yall have. :rolleyes:

Give me Southern heat any day over Northern cold. Also, girls looks better in "Daisy Dukes" and a t-shirt than in a overcoat and scarf. :thumb:
This is what the women wear when it's cold at the University where I work...:cool:

Fashionistas will always sacrifice warmth for being fashionable....

·
Registered
59 Posts
The last job I had (at a call center selling vacations to rich people, mostly on the east coast) we were told that if the center opened and we were scheduled to work, weather was no excuse for not coming in. They were most proud of a young woman who stayed at a motel 1 block away during a bad rain storm/flood last year in order to come to work. It's about $35 - $40 a night to stay there and, unless she was really raking in the commissions, she would have been making about $35 a day. Makes no sense, but.....

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Do you have a shovel?

Loan it to them for $5 an hour :p

We dont get snow here, so I haven't seen any "snow stupidity" but we did have a bushfire right near by my place where I had the opportunity to see some "bushfire stupidity" (trying to fight it in thongs and shorts of their roof with a barely running garden hose, driving at 1kmh down the f'n road sightseeing holding up me and firetrucks, both of whom actually had some capability to put the thing out)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts