Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know what my other brothers and sisters in arms are planning or thinking when our Aug 15 paychecks are effected by what may happen on the 3rd. In case you have not been following the story, read it here. Brief synopsis, you may not get paid on time or at all.

I took an oath to protect and defend the constitution, so I will personally do what I can to support our country through whatever crisis (fiscal or otherwise) but if I don't get paid, it will be pretty hard for me to focus on my job if my house is being repossessed due to missed payments.

What are your thoughts?

-DC Josh
www.metro-survival.blogspot.com

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Hopefully you will be glad you prepped. You will then dip into your stores for a while and wait it out.

PS: I am not in the US or the military so feel free to ignore my comment, also I don't mean it in the snarky way, but in the, your probably better off than many way.

·
Registered
217 Posts
We had this same scare a few months ago. John Boner backed down and Obama walked all over the republicans. I was active duty at the time, although we got paid, our commander formed us up and told us that we are still expected to show up to work like any other day. Some of us may be asked to do unusual jobs to keep the post running. Like the PX could be run by soldiers. I dunno what the plan is this time.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
buy the nessesities now and save out some cash if you can. If you are a prepper, then you will have food to eat. Get a few cans of fuel so you can get from point A to point B. The armed services have advisors for this, take advantage of them and their advice.
Good Luck!

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Besides pay day is the 1st and 15th.......... so on August 3rd you should have had your paycheck for 2 days already ;)

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
Well, we've got 20,000-30,000+ Minnesota state employees right now with no paychecks (state government shutdown). And they have no employer-subsidized housing, food, cool equipment, veterans benefits, guaranteed health care, etc.

I'm not exactly sure what they're doing overall. In their case, I believe there's an enormous amount of paperwork probably going on around health care (Cobra extensions). And apparently some big mortgage lenders have offered to forgive late payments, though the borrower is still responsible for accrued interest. As for missing credit card bills or other obligations, I expect a lot of people will be seeing hits to their credit rating.

The worst news, so far, has been dozens/hundreds of restaurants running out of beer, and some lines of liquor have had to be pulled from the stores. This is due to expiring liquor licenses.

The upshot I get from all of this is that if you live paycheck to paycheck and have no preps, you are exposing yourself to an enormous amount of risk. My own inclination is to have at least 6 months of cash saved for a rainy day. That way, if there's a shutdown for a few weeks or a couple months, you can take a vacation, expand your side business, etc. instead of panicking.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm not military myself but I have talked to a friend who is active duty. He said that he, and plenty of other's he knows, would stop working and find a way home if they stopped getting paid. I believe hitting the debt ceiling is different from a government shutdown. When the government shuts down, pay is just delayed to the military and it is still owed. With the debt ceiling hit, debts cannot be incurred, so there would be no backpay.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Well, we've got 20,000-30,000+ Minnesota state employees right now with no paychecks (state government shutdown). And they have no employer-subsidized housing, food, cool equipment,
The upshot I get from all of this is that if you live paycheck to paycheck and have no preps, you are exposing yourself to an enormous amount of risk. My own inclination is to have at least 6 months of cash saved for a rainy day. That way, if there's a shutdown for a few weeks or a couple months, you can take a vacation, expand your side business, etc. instead of panicking.
Maybe the upshot will be 20,000-30,000+ Minnesota new preppers after they go back to work?:thumb: Sadly, I bet very few of these mostly liberal folks will get the clue.

Some men you just can't reach.:D:
--------Cool Hand Luke (1967)

·
just starting.
454 Posts
Maybe the upshot will be 20,000-30,000+ Minnesota new preppers after they go back to work?:thumb: Sadly, I bet very few of these mostly liberal folks will get the clue.

Some men you just can't reach.:D:
--------Cool Hand Luke (1967)
30k more preppers would be great lol

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
I'm not military myself but I have talked to a friend who is active duty. He said that he, and plenty of other's he knows, would stop working and find a way home if they stopped getting paid. I believe hitting the debt ceiling is different from a government shutdown. When the government shuts down, pay is just delayed to the military and it is still owed. With the debt ceiling hit, debts cannot be incurred, so there would be no backpay.
leaving without permission would be unauthorized absence or maybe even desertion.. I would tell you to tell your friend not to do it...

as to back pay - yes the military would get back pay. Plus as has been pointed out - the government would continue to get monies from taxes so would be able to pay social security, military etc...

·
Registered
737 Posts
Just Obama securing his demise in 2012
I'm not American, I'm from the UK. But it kind of looks like he doesn't have much choice... Loads of governments (including our own) are very, very unpopular at the moment because they have to make these tough decisions that's going to **** someone off!!

·
357 Posts
I was serving in the Air Force during this time.

The pay dates were the 15th and the end of the month.

Someone moved the end of month pay date over to the first of the next month. I am certain (on paper) billions of dollars were saved.

I speculate that there will be no cute little trick on paper to be played this time.

It happened to us once back in 1990's, we went to work just like any other day.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts