Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Swift Justice = 2950fps
10,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just arrived home from Sam’s Club. Relatives from California will be arriving soon and they asked my to pick up a few things for them. I went to Sam’s to get 2 cases of bottled water. I notice everyone leaving the store had 2 cases of water in their carts. I went directly to the rear of the store where the water is shelved. There were 10 cases remaining and I took 2. Before I could walk 20ft, the remaining 8 cases were gone.

I took the attached pic from the back of the store. That line is for the self-checkout lanes only. The line is about 200+ ft long. The lines for the regsisters were long also. The store was fairly stripped out of the things need for survival.

I think a few more days of this panic and people will get real ugly.

Attachments

·
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
45,715 Posts
People are idiots. What's with all the panic? Seriously? All the virologists on T.V. and radio all agree. This virus is like the flu. Wash your hands. Watch what you touch, then wash your hands. Don't touch your face, etc. etc...

It's not killing healthy people. , just like the flu.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
People are idiots. What's with all the panic? Seriously? All the virologists on T.V. and radio all agree. This virus is like the flu. Wash your hands. Watch what you touch, then wash your hands. Don't touch your face, etc. etc...

It's not killing healthy people. , just like the flu. Retards.
except the estimates are it's 10 to 55 times more deadly, extremely contagious, spread airborne or surfaces as well, takes forever to become better, mild cases are brutal as in a little better than just being dead...most people will be fine, but this still is nothing like the flu

·
reluctant sinner
17,526 Posts
I went to town for groceries today. Almost everyone had a pack of toilet paper in their cart, some had 2. Still plenty, I had to by an 18 pack because the 12 packs on my brand were sold out. The shelves had some holes like peroxide, hand sanitizer, tums.

Longer lines but I don't normally shop at that hour. No one was wearing masks.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
except the estimates are it's 10 to 55 times more deadly, extremely contagious, spread airborne or surfaces as well, takes forever to become better, mild cases are brutal as in a little better than just being dead...most people will be fine, but this still is nothing like the flu
Exactly. It's nothing like the flu. You're down and out for 3 or more weeks and can be contagious that entire time. Contagious for up to 2 weeks before showing symptoms. R0 of ~4 vs the flu's ~2.

This isn't a bug to play around with.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
I had to grab a prescription earlier today, I noticed they had an odd brand of TP they were hawking. I went in the far corner of the store, Scotts was available for $1.26 a roll. I got a good deal on 3 6-packs at $1 a roll of an off-brand, I will use that as barter if it comes down to that.

Then onto a supermarket for spices mainly. They had a sale on Bush's baked beans, got some of that. Got some bouillon at a decent price, Goya brand. Jarred garlic goes a long way, some chili spices too. Goya Sazon is good for soups, also dried beans.

For 10:30 in the morning, the place was packed and many were wearing winter gloves. The local schools are closed, someone tested + for the virus. But again, the carts were filled with junk food. I got a good deal on store brand paper towels with my store card. I was talking with one lady who was quite befuddled with what was going on. I had her look in my cart and told her she should be looking 1 or 2 months down the road. I mentioned the TP I saw at the drug store and she said it wasn't her brand. I said, me neither but it can be used as barter. She looks at me like I had 7 heads.

·
Ordinary Average Guy
971 Posts
I wasn't planning on "panic buying", but reports from HQ were that they were running low on TP and there was none to be had (SE Texas). Went online and found her brand at an industrial supply house. Bought 3 of the 4 they said they had in stock.
Let Mrs know that it should be arriving next week, and told her where to look to find a stash of 12 rolls to get her thru to next week.

·
Proud American Patriot
2,401 Posts
I'm sure it's dangerous, but based on the known death rate by age I do not think it will lead to any kind of societal or economic meltdown.

I'm in the group that is said to have a 3.6% fatality rate; that means I have a 96.4% chance of survival even if I do get it. And probably better than that since many of those who die from the disease have other health problems and I don't. Being sick for a few weeks or a month will certainly not be any fun. But I'm not going to go out and buy a funeral plot.

What this means is this is something to be concerned about. We should wash our hands and avoid places where we come in contact with other people when we can. But I do not see how it can lead to some kind of societal meltdown, and I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

I would add though that given what some governments are doing, maybe there's something about this we are not being told. What if everyone who gets it turns into a flesh-eating zombie for example? Maybe we should all disinvest in the stock market and buy lots of ammo and things like baseball bats.

If this amount of risk makes people panic, imagine what they will be doing when the trucks stop bringing food to the stores, or when you turn on the water faucet and nothing comes out.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
All this panic when the infection rate is like .00003%. Wait until 5 or 10 percent of the population has it.
You can have it for two weeks before showing symptoms. I bet 5-10% already have it. In two weeks we will know how many people are infected today. The numbers we see today is how many had it two weeks ago. Two weeks before symptoms show means two week lag in real numbers.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,960 Posts
We normally make a supply run to Sam's on Friday. But I realized we actually had a decent amount of inventory so we cancelled it for tomorrow. We pay our driver $60 to take us and our stuff to work and I would HATE to do that if there was nothing to buy.

Reactions: PaulKersey

·
Ingloriously Deplorable
2,610 Posts
I talked to quite a few people at a store up here today, they were all laughing at the empty shelves. Not clueless laughing, but all the TP & paper rolls, kleenex? all? That's what they were laughing about. What people were going for and what they seemed to be ignoring LOL.

I think you are right, the President's address hasn't had a calming effect. Notice all the online classes only, cancelled games/seasons or postponed, etc. Obviously some are doing it not because of the risk but because it gets people going. That's where they are going with a lot of this. I heard FEMA is "working" now but I haven't had a chance to look at that to see if its true. Some States are now banning large gatherings. Yeah, they're ramping up that's obvious.

I just arrived home from Sam’s Club. Relatives from California will be arriving soon and they asked my to pick up a few things for them. I went to Sam’s to get 2 cases of bottled water. I notice everyone leaving the store had 2 cases of water in their carts. I went directly to the rear of the store where the water is shelved. There were 10 cases remaining and I took 2. Before I could walk 20ft, the remaining 8 cases were gone.

I took the attached pic from the back of the store. That line is for the self-checkout lanes only. The line is about 200+ ft long. The lines for the regsisters were long also. The store was fairly stripped out of the things need for survival.

I think a few more days of this panic and people will get real ugly.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts