Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the many arguments to not prepping, is the "spending 20 years in a bunker, going insane from boredom" argument.

They Rationalize death as a better substitute. :rolleyes:

I just got the toxicology report on my dead uncle. The report states he committed suicide using Diphenhydramine, and even left a note in his shirt pocket.

He felt alone, depressed, and he gave up hope. He didn't see that family was a phone call away and probably felt that we didn't care. He let his fears, and pain over take him.

Guys, that doesn't EVER have to be you. You may be alone, but you are NOT alone. If you ever feel depressed, burdened or afraid, feel free to contact me. I mean that. I don't blame my Uncle, nor judge him. I know that he was a good man, but he lost hope and his case isn't unique.

In this failing world, it can happen to any of us. I am not saying stay happy all the time, I am saying depression is real.

Don't be afraid to reach out. PM Ohio Man. PM MikeK. Build a network, or just reach out to anyone who's posts you have enjoyed. Even if you are on my ignore list I would rather you pm me than give in. I mean that.

Lastly I wanted to say this.

It doesn't take Nuclear fall out or bunkers to be alone. Sometimes it just happens. When it does, know that you have an entire board of people to talk to. You are not your job, nor the failing of relationships.

Survival is 90% mental.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Crutch that's so kind of you.:thumb: After a while of being here in the Survivalist Board, it's hard to not feel like we are part of a family. (All families have disfunctional members which we don't especially like, so that's fine also.):D:

·
Liberty or Death!
679 Posts
Sorry for your loss. My older brother 15 years ago killed himself with pills because he had a girlfriend pressuring him into marriage and having kids. Because of the way our Father was a horrible excuse for a husband and father he wanted nothing to do with either. So he went to a hotel room and gave in. It's a shame because he was a literal genius working for Lockheed Martin. Sometimes people can't see the ways out when they feel surrounded by a bad situation. Suicide is a permanent fix to what's likely a very temporary and survivable problem. Being in the military I've also known my share of guys giving in in the same manner. You're right though, nobody is ever truly alone, they just need to reach out a bit to get the help they need. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts
It is each man and woman's right to decide if they want to exit the world. If someone feels its not worth going on then who am i to interfere. It's every adults right.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
It is each man and woman's right to decide if they want to exit the world. If someone feels its not worth going on then who am i to interfere. It's every adults right.
If its a informed choice clearly made I'd agree. All to often its an "Infirmed" choice. Clouded by depression or overwhelmed by emotional trauma.

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts
If its a informed choice clearly made I'd agree. All to often its an "Infirmed" choice. Clouded by depression or overwhelmed by emotional trauma.
So who decides wether or not your in an impaired state. The government. I tend to believe individuals know whats best for themselves. Would you like someone to come in and tell you whats best for you. I doubt it.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That works great in theory, but in real life, loosing someone you love can't be marginalized.

You have the right Urban to kill yourself. I am simply saying that despite me and your political differences, I would rather you sought help than assume you are an island unto yourself.

Receiving help when needed isn't weakness, it's an eventuality.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,565 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly. I lost a friend to suicide a few years ago. He had basically given up hope also. And he thought nobody was there for him. But by the number of people at his funeral, he was loved by many. More than he knew.

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts
That works great in theory, but in real life, loosing someone you love can't be marginalized.

You have the right Urban to kill yourself. I am simply saying that despite me and your political differences, I would rather you sought help that assume you are an island unto yourself.
I just believe that every adult has the right to decide if they want to leave this world. Sure if you want help YOU should seek it. I'm not saying you shoudnt but in the end it shouldnt be forced on you. I'm all about freedom and this is just a not so pleasent side of freedom.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly. I lost a friend to suicide a few years ago. He had basically given up hope also. And he thought nobody was there for him . But by the number of people at his funeral, he was loved by many. More than he knew.
All the more reason to keep your family close and never forget to tell them how much they mean to you. None of us ever know when our time on earth will end, but we should never be too busy or full of pride to forget to embrace those we love.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just believe that every adult has the right to decide if they want to leave this world. Sure if you want help YOU should seek it. I'm not saying you shoudnt but in the end it shouldnt be forced on you. I'm all about freedom and this is just a not so pleasent side of freedom.
We are both fine with that. As a Libertarian, everyone has my permission to drive with out seat belts if that is their desire.

However, for those who feel they are alone, i assure them they are not.

All of us face loosing our jobs, incomes, family members, or changes we just aren't prepared for. At those times we are vulnerable and I am simply saying, reach out.

·
1 riot 1 ranger
2,057 Posts
I work at trying to be alone as much as possible. I would have made a great old West mountain trapper. I do love my wife but there is great joy for me in having the trees and sky all to my self uninterrupted by talking. Thats why I love the internet, I can communicate when I want to and there is no noise coming back at me, only typed words. "Silence is golden"

thanks for your concern though.

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,914 Posts
Crutch,

Sorry for your loss mate...

A dear friend once told me that: "suicide was a permanent solution to an otherwise temporary problem."

We're seeing more and more "mental," issues coming about and i fear that more folks will choose this route out of desperetion, etc...

I pray for them, and the ones left behind...

Be well....

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
You're a kind soul Crutch. I'm sure there are plenty of people here that feel despair. Their loved ones don't quite understand the prepper part of them, making them feel isolated and ridiculed.
Sometimes I worry about the things in life that we all take for granted that will change and never go back to normal. Just being free to take a walk in my own neighborhood might cease if the SHTF. My dog would be devastated! It would break her heart as that is her favorite time of day. It would no longer be safe to go out. That is really sad.
Even sadder, how many lives would be lost because they're not paying attention to what grim possibilities may be coming. They will starve or be killed by predators or looters. My own family and friends who Ive tried to warn about the possibilities of economic collapse, go on now as nothing bad could ever possibly happen. And I can't afford to feed them all or i will perish too. The thought of turning my loved ones away makes me very sad. There doesnt seem to be any other preppers around where I live either. So my safety in numbers wish goes right out the window. When the S does HTF, this site will be gone too. Im sure power will be out and with that goes the internet. Why cant I live in a community of preppers! I'd feel so much safer knowing there was others around me protecting and providing food like we are. Right now its just the 2 of us and my mom, who cant even help herself.

·
Stay the Course
471 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. But have to tell you that I really appreciate that post. Really helps put sad situations like that in prospective.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Crutch,

Sorry for your loss mate...

A dear friend once told me that: "suicide was a permanent solution to an otherwise temporary problem."

We're seeing more and more "mental," issues coming about and i fear that more folks will choose this route out of desperetion, etc...

I pray for them, and the ones left behind...

Be well....
I think as things get worse, more and more people are going to choose suicide. Even survivalists. This is statistically inevitable, so we need to prepare.

If this thread does three things, I hope it's this.

1) Your loved ones aren't immune. We can call them sheeple, or take it upon ourselves to teach them alternative life styles. Show them they aren't their fancy homes, new cloths or high paying jobs. Remind them you love them and be there when the warning signs present themselves.

2) Remember that you are not immune. So many of us are loosing everything. Hell, a fire could burn down your home and you loose it all. Get back up, if no one else, I am here for you. Yeah, you could do better, but for what it's worth, maybe I can help?

3) Invest in people, even ones you don't know. We may have to be ready to turn people away as we can't feed the masses. However, until that day comes, we don't have to be heartless walls of judgment and solitude.

I've met a lot of you guys in real life. Many of which I call friends, despite political or even religious differences. I however, don't have to have seen someone face to face to call them a friend. If your personal SHTF, feel free to PM me.

·
Livin' the freekin' dream
428 Posts
To me that is an extreme act of selfishness. What about others in the family that WANT to be with them

As a side comment, some people are "alone" because they choose to be, but still need someone to reach out to them once and a while.

Crutch,

Always appreciate the thoughtful posts and insight. :thumb:

·
Stay the Course
471 Posts
To me that is an extreme act of selfishness. What about others in the family that WANT to be with them

You know I couldn't agree more. What people who kill themselves do not realize is the inpact of alot more people than the imediate family.

What about the emergency workers that have to deal with the situation?
The ones that have to see the body, deal with the body, and clean up the mess if there is one.

What about the clergy of that individuals church? Did I fail this person? What could I have done different?

And anyone else that could stop to think, Did I miss any warning signs? Did I miss something that could have changed his day? Etc.

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts

As a side comment, some people are "alone" because they choose to be, but still need someone to reach out to them once and a while.

Crutch,

Always appreciate the thoughtful posts and insight. :thumb:
You have a right to be selfish too. I'm a big believer in personal rights. Sorry. As for me, man i love myself. I think i'm going to go make out with myself in the mirror.

edit: i can't spell.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts