Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/isis-burns-8000-rare-books-030900856.html

From the middle of the article:

"The former assistant director of the library Qusai All Faraj said that the Mosul Public Library was established in 1921, the same year that saw the birth of the modern Iraq. Among its lost collections were manuscripts from the eighteenth century, Syriac books printed in Iraq's first printing house in the nineteenth century, books from the Ottoman era, Iraqi newspapers from the early twentieth century and some old antiques like an astrolabe and sand glass used by ancient Arabs. The library had hosted the personal libraries of more than 100 notable families from Mosul over the last century.

"During the US led invasion of Iraq in 2003, the library was looted and destroyed by mobs. However, the people living nearby managed to save most of its collections and rich families bought back the stolen books and they were returned to the library, All Faraj added."

I had heard rumors of the destruction of books and manuscripts elsewhere in territory controlled by the Daesh, but had no confirmation to post. <sigh> It's interesting to note (to me at least) that Yahoo! filed this in their "finance" section.

Further commentary/opinion fails me at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
20,631 Posts
Who cares, none of our business, it's our fault.

Now that I've covered most of the statements made by board members regarding ISIS, hopefully they'll refrain.
They won't.....

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's wrong with a good old fashion book burning?
Hopefully you meant that facetiously or sarcastically, but I'd like to point out something:

Just because the library was in an Islamic country doesn't necessarily mean all the texts and collections related to the religion of Islam. When Greece, Rome and Alexandria lost their texts and collections (not all by fire, btw) the world lost what we would call today "secular information." Mathematics, philosophy (under the ancient definition, not the modern association with religion and/or non-religion, to wit: observations on how nature worked), how they made pottery, how they made the beautiful colors and dyes for cloth which are just as brilliant today as they were 3,000 years ago. Some of it has been 're-discovered,' like the re-discovery of how to make cement, but "the recipe" was lost for between 1,200 and 1,500 years. :eek: Alhambra in Spain is considered by some to be one of the (if not the) most mathematically perfect manmade structures in the world. How the heck did they do that? The information is lost. :(

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
You burn your history if you want to re-write it. ISIS want 7th century history frozen in time and lived today and in the future. Anything that compromises that has to be destroyed.
B
EDIT: BTW, this is another good reason why I'm happy that Google is digitizing all of the worlds historic texts.

Appalling. I will never understand the desire to destroy one's culture. Can you imagine storming the National Archives or the Library of Congress to burn Jefferson's library? Aside from the beheadings, shariah, convert or die...yet another reason they need to be wiped from the earth.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts