Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unless my Governor extends the lockdown, my state is set to open up at the end of the week.

I fear that this will lead to an explosion of new cases in my otherwise nearly untouched state...and that the same thing will happen across the country as things open up.

I have been bugged in since march 24th.....and rather than the threat going away when the state opens up, I think it will become a lot more dangerous, and a lot harder to get stuff, at least at first.

Therefor I'm planning a big shopping trip tomorrow, in full PPE of course, rather than waiting for the lockdown to lift, I think now is the time to top off anything or increase preps as this may get much much worse soon and much more dangerous as all the loonies rush into the streets to 'celebrate' being 'freed' from the lockdown.

'Food' wise I don't need anything....but I don't know how long this will last so I want to take this chance to top off while its still relatively safe to do so, even if its only replacing what I used up over the past month, at some point that months worth of food may be needed at the other end so I'm going to replace it now while I can.

You may want to consider the same thing if your state is close to opening up, rather than waiting. Make sure you have enough to last until the second lockdown comes and it becomes safer to go out again. When things open up it won't mean its safe....it will mean maximum danger, maximum need to shelter, maximum level of crazy desperate people out and about.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Exactly. I've been very clear to my parents that when the state says the lockdown is over, stay home. Chances are in a couple weeks it will explode. I've also been clear to them about how I think it's very likely about a much stronger second wave this fall.

I think worse is still coming. People still just don't get it. I don't know how many people I've seen on FB complaining about having to wear masks, how it's stupid, how it's not going to do anything. I saw one lady on the local grocery store's page saying how she had a medical condition and she can't wear a mask and they can't even ask you about it by law, and going on and on about. Another person saying they were claustrophobic and they can't wear one. Etc.

As soon as things open up, people will be right back out there, and it will spread like wildfire.

Perhaps the ONLY thing people have learned from this is to have more TP at home. That's probably the only thing, if they even learned that! Haha... now when a blizzard or a hurricane is coming, not only will stores be sold out of milk, bread, and water bottles, but probably TP as well.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm in PA and we've been shut down with no word yet on re-opening. Fortunately I'm an essential worker so I still work full time and I've been using every dollar of it, along with my tax return and stimulous check to stock up on food, supplies, guns and ammo while product is still in stock. I live in a medium size town and so far things have been fairly well stocked at walmart with very few purchase limits. Still wearing a mask when I go to walmart though. Otherwise I pretty much spend my days at home.

I do agree that a new wave of supply shortage and infections will result if/when they open back up and it won't be pretty.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I've felt the same urge, but all I can think of is fresh fruit (still have some left and plenty canned, looks to be a good berry crop this year) and some more eggs.

The layers I'm getting from my buddy in July should start laying in August.

Urge is to do so, but doesn't make sense.

I AM making a list of things I was planning to get this year after my construction project, but I would rather wait to buy more grains (stockpiling vs hording) about all I can think about so far is going from 2 years to 10 on powdered cheddar cheese.

Need to make sure it'll last that long though.

·
Over and Out
3,487 Posts
+1, and if any've ya's have Not gotten a 2nd freezer / stuffed it with Meat... At least those of us in the US.. Now will be the time.. Flours / Rices / beans / pastas / canned-soups, etc, ALL paper products, have All contiguously been Out / at super-low levels since the 'hard' lock-down started (at least out Here..) but.. The one thing we've seen (again, at least out Here..) that's been pretty-constant / reasonably-ample stock, are Meats (save-for the first 'panic-weekend', etc..)

..But, once those 'bare shelves for extended-times' presents in the Meat-sections?? (especially with all the 'Plant-shutdowns', which no doubt, will grow..) That's.. gonna flare the Meat-panics, also... Frozen-meats, canned-meats, whatever.. Git while the gettin is good / even Possible!

jd

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not out of anything.

I'm just thinking though that whatever I was at, I'm at a month less now than I was and I suspect that months from now we may look back fondly on how safe it was here now.

No cases known cases in my county at this point. There where five but they have all recovered.

State overall is still one of the least effected in the country....for now. Once it opens up again I think all bets are off.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will also add that while I'm not out of anything,

My parents in their late 60's are out of 'good stuff' (plenty of rice and beans up at there place but no fresh stuff, cheese, meats, etc) and would be shopping for them anyway unless I want to share my preps, which would cut down fairly significantly on how long I can last.

I also have very high level PPE. Fully body plastic suits with PAPR units and Cavacide in a weed sprayer for decon.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I started a "use list" in april, so lots of the fresh stuff didn't make the cut (known what I've had)

I am tempted to buy more sausage, meat etc, but I have 2 cows on my buddies place, have turkey, chickens, and hogs locally available with friends I can/have "reserved".... So while there's a few cuts I'd like, I don't have much freezer space yet to do much.

(Posting because I'm open to influence/turning it over in my mind.)
Vegies from My raised beds every other day or so with more to come.

April: week 1:
Used weather stripping
PVC for planting strawberries
Potting soil
Lube
Graphite
Gas
String
Catfood/shavings
(Used other stuff, but have way more than needed.)

Brownie mix
Jambalaya
Sausage
Cornbread
Butter
Cane syrup
Honey/maple syrup
Oatmeal
Sugar
Flour
Cornmeal
Mayo
Eggs
Bacon
Spices
Cinnamon
Chocolate
Peanut butter
Kiwi/aplles/pears
2 liter coke
Shelf stable milk
Carrots
Ranch dressing
Italian
Coookingoil
shrimp
Potatoes
Steak
English muffins
Popcorn/cheese
Butter/ghee
Cheese/summer sausage/crackers
Chicken noodle soup
Chocolate
bacon
Gatorade
Raman noodles
Jambalaya
Cookies
Chocolate
Candy
Eggs
Tortia
Bangle
Chuck roast
Frenchonionnsoup
Beef b ullion cubes
red beans and rice
Cornbread
Navy beans And ham
Peas
Fruit salad: cherries pineapple, manduran oranges, apple, pear
Funfetty cake mix creme cheese icing
Ramen
Chips
Apple
Gatorade mix empty
fruit juice
Crackers
Need toilet bowl cleaner
Scuse the typos, written for me so I didn't care/type d fast.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Vegies from My raised beds every other day or so with more to come.
Still a couple months out for me but I'm looking forward to the garden starting to produce. I'm doubling most things this year.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Not doubling, but definitely expanded.

I always plant early and cover. Worked fine for years.
Raised beds are the ****.

Eta:
I started using those "pucks" you drop in the back of the toilet in Dec.
Since I was just trying it and not used to it I didn't stock up.
So I'm back to using baking soda and vinegar with a brush. Got plenty.

Forgot Apple sauce, but I'm still using home canned apple sauce from 2017, won't be restocking from a store. Also home canned turkey and pork, but wouldn't buy that either.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not doubling, but definitely expanded.

I always plant early and cover. Worked fine for years.
Raised beds are the ****.

Eta:
I started using those "pucks" you drop in the back of the toilet in Dec.
Since I was just trying it and not used to it I didn't stock up.
So I'm back to using baking soda and vinegar with a brush. Got plenty.

Forgot Apple sauce, but I'm still using home canned apple sauce from 2017, won't be restocking from a store.
It was 25º inside the hoophouse last week. Still late winter here.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
It was 25º inside the hoophouse last week. Still late winter here.
That's why South is better.

Longer growing season. (Not a fan of having to pickle my vegies.)
I stocked on vitamins, but would rather wait to use them till im.going to be around people.

I have 12V grow lights and a tray ~12x18 (need 2, one with holes in the bottom nestled in the other with rocks between)
Growing micro greens you get 2-3 bowls a week cut and come again.

·
Grevcon 10
13,593 Posts
So the thing about a 2nd wave is largely this:

1st wave comes in 1 case at a time. So exponential growth starts at 1 case, maybe 10 cases in a city. When you uncap that growth rate again you're starting with a larger base number, that are left over from the previous wave. So now you've got your cases down from 50,000 to 500. Hazzah! Except now you're starting exponential growth from 500 instead of between 1 and 10. So you get to skip a lot of exponential growth steps in round 2. The long slow part. And you don't even know it until a couple steps in to the growth. You're expecting it to go from 1 to 2 and from 2 to 4. PLENTY of time to react if it starts growing again. But instead you get 500 to 1,000 and 1,000 to 2,000.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's why South is better.

Longer growing season. (Not a fan of having to pickle my vegies.)
I stocked on vitamins, but would rather wait to use them till im.going to be around people.

I have 12V grow lights and a tray ~12x18 (need 2, one with holes in the bottom nestled in the other with rocks between)
Growing micro greens you get 2-3 bowls a week cut and come again.
There is that....although, my state also has less than 1/4 as many cases as Arkansa... a 10th as many as Alabama....and 1/42nd as many as Georgia or Texas....so its not all bad up here.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
There is that....although, my state also has less than 1/4 as many cases as Arkansa... a 10th as many as Alabama....and 1/42nd as many as Georgia or Texas....so its not all bad up here.
Irrelevant.

My property has 0 cases, and.... Apparently I can't justify leaving.

One thing I kinda/sorta didn't consider is fried food.
I usually eat that out.

Don't have much bone in chicken as I use free turkey in its place and it's mostly canned in chunks or shredded.

I have a few packs of chicken wings in the freezer, plenty of shrimp to fry, and picked up 20lbs of potatoes... So home made French fries are common. (Got enough to get my fix, but a little different than 'normal'.)

I looked at one of those big bags of Chicken strips and thought I should get it, but I'd already filled in the edges of the freezer.

Guess I'll just sit here and watch my pension increase my bank account.;)

7+ weeks in.

·
Only politics *****.
5,644 Posts
Definitely don't try and go to newly opened shops on the day they're opened again. 2 local examples:
- recycling parks were opened -> full rush on recycling parks.
- home improvement stores were opened -> full rush on those.

Even if you can get to them, you'll just be in something like a black friday rush.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts