Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I keep my hunting rifle in my truck all the time like some guys do in the south, but in the winter I put my 30-06 away and in its place go's my trusty Ruger 10/22, as all were aloud to harvest in the winter is small game. (which I eat) The 10/22 has a scope and I modified the rail so I can use the Iron sights below the scope for targets closer than 20 yards. Last day of Lynx season and wouldn't you know it, I see one walk across the road. I follow him into the brush and see him about 20 yards away from me. I put him In my cross hairs and pull the trigger only to see the snow above him puff :eek: So he's staring at me, I'm staring at him, and tell him "we'll I missed, haven't you embarrassed me enough?" He left and so did my pride. :eek::

Lesson here?
1) Don't let your gun give you a false sense of security, because if you haven't shot it in a while, it may be useless to you when you need it most.
2) Take your gun out and practice at least once every 3 months
3) Sight in your gun if you cant remember the last time its been done.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That Reminds me of this Vid.
Might have knocked the scope alil bounceing around in the Truck

YouTube - Worst Hunter vs. Dumbest Deer
I remember shooting varmit with the gun last, so the scope was set to shoot at 100 yards. If i used the iron sights under the scope, I would be tanning the hide right now and shairing with everyone how Lynx tastes.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Any tool is only as good as its quality and the users skill set

I can give an idiot a hammer but it takes a certain level of skill to build a house
and you cant get the job done with a 12oz stanley hammer

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any tool is only as good as its quality and the users skill set

I can give an idiot a hammer but it takes a certain level of skill to build a house
and you cant get the job done with a 12oz stanley hammer
uh I think I get your thought process on this one, but the quality of the gun and skill set of the shooter were not the issue in this case... it was a miss adjusted scope...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Remember that some "gun" oils tend to varnish-up on you if left uncared for(meaning it dries and stiffens into a glue-like substance that will feel like tar in you gun as you try to use it).

WD-40 is a BIG no-no in my book. I use Mobil1 synthetic oil in a lightweight viscosity. It's expensive to put in your vehicle, but 8 bucks for a quart of gun oil is a bargain.

·
Registered
477 Posts
This is one of the reasons I don't like scopes seems like anytime you use them you have to re-sight them, but irons on the other hand tend to hold zero much better.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Remember that some "gun" oils tend to varnish-up on you if left uncared for(meaning it dries and stiffens into a glue-like substance that will feel like tar in you gun as you try to use it).

WD-40 is a BIG no-no in my book. I use Mobil1 synthetic oil in a lightweight viscosity. It's expensive to put in your vehicle, but 8 bucks for a quart of gun oil is a bargain.
Great point for the colder regions. I am a huge duck hunter and obviously find myself in some pretty sketchy / nasty environments. The best thing i have found for lube/cleaning/corrosion protection is a product called G96. I highly encourage all of you to use this stuff. It is the best I have found. Throw your rem oil in the trash or cease use once it gets cold. It turns into packing grease below 20*. WD40 is great for corrosion, but lousy for lubricant when it's sub freezing temps.

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts
Disassemble, saturate with simple green, light scrubbing with an OLD toothbrush, rinse, dry and reassemble. No more gummy oil.

We all have our pet gun lubes and mine is breakfree. Thinking of trying that red stuff.

·
Banned
6,705 Posts
I use Slick 50 and oil mixture that I break out from time to time, heat, and treat my weapons after I have stripped them down. Much better lubricant!

·
North-American American
426 Posts
My guns are shot regularly, cleaned and well lubed and there's probably more ammo in my house than I could ever shoot. Guns, I get an A+.

Now for the bad....I been "talking" about getting a generator for a couple of YEARS now! Still haven't bought one! THAT'S where I'm lagging behind, and peeking at this thread reminded me to make a trip in the morning.

So, thanks!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Shoot your gun to know your gun.

A workmate of mine invited me to the range to show off his AK's. We get to the range and true enough he has had some nice stuff done to them. We sight the one in that he put a scope on. Then he starts to shoot the second one, and its a one-shot wonder. Shoot - choke, shoot - choke, repeat. He is livid.

But I tell him that he has learned a cheap lesson - he would not have discovered he had a problem if he did not get out to shoot it. So better to know about it now that he can do something about it rather than later when he may not be able to get it fixed.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts