Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all! New member here, gotta say I am freaking psyched about finding this place. Although it probably won't help my sleep...

Anyhow, I'm a little late to the game. I've felt the need to be prepared for a long time, but because of debt and family... Well, you know. I'm starting to prepare and plan now, and cannot wait to start tapping this invaluable resource.

A little about me if anyone is curious. I'm 28, I'm a 6-year veteran of the 82nd Airborne. I was in the infantry and left as a Sergeant after I was wounded by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan. It all worked out for the best, as I've been blessed with a beautiful daughter who is 17 months old, and a girlfriend that the jury's still out on. ;) I live over here in Oregon and work for the power company. Nothing glamorous that actually teaches me anything, I'm a meter reader.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and give a little info. I'll be here often - I feel like I've found an internet home, haha. I'll have tons of questions, tons of comments, and hope to get to know some of you gents. Hope you're all enjoying your week!

(And I just realized I'm already f'ing up, just saw the new member introduction area... Sorry!)

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
sweet deal. Welcome aboard. I have a buddy that just went through jump school at Benning.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum from Dallas. I see a lot of good people have welcomed you already. Please make note of these folks. these are the ones that care if you live or die. I am sure you got a note from KEV as well. As he says there are no dumb questions. Only the ones unasked are in that catagory.

YOU are never too late. Don't let the task over power you. Start slow and make your plan. stop and see what kinds of things you have already. balance what you buy and determine what you are willing to give up. Can you give up Starbucks or a couple of lunches out and bring your own food in sack. you can free up money in a number of ways. Don't go crazy and try to be Rambo. think about who you want to protect. Your wife and daughter I would assume. Are there others you need to include.

We are all in this together. In the posts you will find people you agree with and people you don't. look for the good and you will find it. Keep a low profile. that can be an asset when the time comes. You are in a beautiful area. Is that where you want to stay or do you plan to go somewhere else if all you know what breaks loose?

again it is good to have you here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, thanks so much for the warm welcome, it's appreciated. ********* I thought I recognized that nick! This place is gold, I've been camped at this computer.

My situation is a little uncertain right now as far as careers go, my department is being laid off here in about 6mos so I'll be shifting jobs. I've had great luck being hired with corrections and law enforcement in the past so I'm sure I'll end up doing something in that vein. It's not entirely what I want to do for a career, but you've gotta take care of your family and I don't quite have that degree yet. Ex-infantry only have so many options of "easy" employment, hah.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I've been paying over $900 a month in rent for three years now, and we have just as of a week ago paid of all of our debt, every single cent. While I wait for my credit to rebuild, I've tossed around the idea of getting a loan for 15k and picking up a nice 5th wheel or RV. I'm leaning more towards the 5th, since we'd like to suck it up living in there for a year while we paid off the loan and both improved my credit by doing so and allowed a good credit history overall to develop. I'm just sick of paying rent every month and having nothing for it, really. This way we would be better set to buy some land in a year or so. Figure Mom and Dad can suck it up and the little girl is young enough to be okay. Less to pay per month, improved credit, and something that I'll actually own at the end.

We will probably stay in Oregon or nearby, I love the Pacific Northwest and also feel that we're situated in a fairly decent spot as far as preparing for calamities go. My father and I are great hunters, and my cousin would be right at home here if he used the internet.

Oops, dinner! Night, gents!

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
maybe some PMC work- but going out on a limb here I'm thinking youre well past that kind of stuff.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.