Survivalist Forum banner

is it safe to pureify water???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Young Blood
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its iodine tincture, u.s.p and i wanted to know if its safe to use to purify water

·
Registered
126 Posts
yea, i use it when i go backpacking, it varies on how much you need, depending on how much water you have, if it's a whole bottle of water a few drops should do like 3-5 if you wanna be extra safe, just remember to always wait a half hour before drinkin, if you don't you can get diarhea

·
Hermit
150 Posts
Yes and no.

Iodine is relatively safe for emergency water purification, but should not be taken on a regular basis. The thyroid will enlarge after using iodine for a straight season in order to compensate for the over abundance; though this is not necessarily harmful. Note that excess iodine will not cause hyperthyroidism. Iodine can become toxic in the liver if taken for over 6 months to a year. I have also heard that the iodine in the liver and kidneys never goes away (though I have no idea if that is true).

The truth is that with anything some people will be affected badly and others will not. Some people can probably use it forever and be fine. We are all different. The amounts you would have to take to actually do harm are probably enormous. I would definitely not take iodine everyday for a year.

Keep in mind that iodine does not kill cryptosporidium.

I suggest using a water filter for most all your needs and only use iodine when you have to drink notably nasty water. I always have the stuff for when I need it. Don't be paranoid about taking iodine, but don't be careless either.

·
I travel light
2,027 Posts
chipmunk, I´ve some instruction in radiologic issues, and they told us that the iodine have to be taken with some care. The lack of it, I´ve known that would not be so harmful as the excess! just because the kidney and liver that says Never. I would not use it to purify water except in a desperate situation. So all of you, please be careful about using chemicals, there´s something called MS/DS (Material Sheet / Data Sheet) for every substance available in the market that SHOULD (and shall!) be read before any attempt of using substances, mainly if it´s for your family drinking water. In this data is resumed everything that can be potentially dangerous in a particular substance: flahs point, toxicity, among others.

·
not a nut
1,629 Posts
chipmunk, I´ve some instruction in radiologic issues, and they told us that the iodine have to be taken with some care. The lack of it, I´ve known that would not be so harmful as the excess! just because the kidney and liver that says Never. I would not use it to purify water except in a desperate situation. So all of you, please be careful about using chemicals, there´s something called MS/DS (Material Sheet / Data Sheet) for every substance available in the market that SHOULD (and shall!) be read before any attempt of using substances, mainly if it´s for your family drinking water. In this data is resumed everything that can be potentially dangerous in a particular substance: flahs point, toxicity, among others.

It is just an alternative point of view, with some possible valid points for further investigation.

Wonder what the MSDS sheet says about fluoride in our water?

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
Has anyone heard of Aerobic Stabalized Oxygen? I bought it to treat my large water supply, and was told it has the same effect as bleach. Only non toxic. Does anyone else out there use it?

·
I travel light
2,027 Posts
CHip, you could look on the OSHA website after you know what Fluoride compound is being added to your water in the States. Let me know about that. We don´t use in Latinamerica, think. Should be a good reason for that, I heard that dental problems among the amish children (who don´t eat that sweet candy crap) were used as a zero ground to measure the effect of fluoride, but some kids developed kidney problems...Not sure but should be investigated. It´s not the same thing an halogen being rubbed on the teeth than being swallowed and metabolized for your kids.

·
not a nut
1,629 Posts

MSDS, deals with the occupational exposure, not the use of it for dietary needs.

I did find this.
Incompatibilities & Reactivities
Ammonia, acetylene, acetaldehyde, powdered aluminum, active metals, liquid chlorine.

·
I travel light
2,027 Posts
Oh. I believe that normal diet needs for iodine could be easily covered with some table salt?...people who lives near the sea never suffer iodine lack diseases...

·
Come quickly Lord
2,049 Posts
Oh. I believe that normal diet needs for iodine could be easily covered with some table salt?...people who lives near the sea never suffer iodine lack diseases...
Sea salt does not contain as high dosage of iodine as table salt. Iodine supplements should not be taken unless your body is not processing iodine...and only a doctor could tell you that. Iodine occurs naturally in some foods such as fish, eggs, diary products, potatoes, seaweed, and beans.

The daily amount of iodine needed a day is only 150 micrograms. The average intake that most Americans get a day is anywhere from 2 to 10 GRAMS! That's WAY over the necessary amount. Most Americans have an excess of iodine in their diet due to the heavily processed foods and all the salt they put on everything. An excess is much worse that a deficiency in iodine. This is why I use sea salt instead of table salt.

In other words, iodine is safe for your water but do not use it except when necessary and in very little quantities. Very little is needed to go a long way. There are worse things you could be adding to your water (bleach, flouride, etc...).

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Yes, in fact it was originally used to treat public water systems. In an emergency I would not hesitate to use it. Got some in both BOBs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts