Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that if you are camping out you can use a piece of hemp rope around your campsite qand a snake will not cross it. They say that the hemp is so rough that it will turn a snake away.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Never heard of it... but snakes crawl over a lot more rough stuff than rope... And since it is rope I think that was heuristic thinking at work, so no.

(Heuristic thinking was the way folks thought long ago... if you want to see like an eagle, eat eagle eyes, if you want to be strong as a bull eat a bull, if you want to be as brave as your enemy, eat your enemy, and rough rope will drive away smooth snakes....)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Never heard of it... but snakes crawl over a lot more rough stuff than rope... And since it is rope I think that was heuristic thinking at work, so no.

(Heuristic thinking was the way folks thought long ago... if you want to see like an eagle, eat eagle eyes, if you want to be strong as a bull eat a bull, if you want to be as brave as your enemy, eat your enemy, and rough rope will drive away smooth snakes....)

Or the way some Asian culturals think now. In the Philippines I unknowingly ate 'soup #5' which turned out to be local code for bull nut soup. I guess I was suppose to grow golf balls that night. They also served fish eyes in a bowl which just about made me hurl. Luckily they served several bottles of J&B whiskey too.:eek::

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have heard that if you are camping out you can use a piece of hemp rope around your campsite qand a snake will not cross it. They say that the hemp is so rough that it will turn a snake away.
Yeah, I saw that in a John Wayne movie so it must be true. :rolleyes:

Seriously, think about where snakes live and what they do during the day. A rope laid on the ground, or lariat as used in the movie, will not repel snakes.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Or the way some Asian culturals think now. In the Philippines I unknowingly ate 'soup #5' which turned out to be local code for bull nut soup. I guess I was suppose to grow golf balls that night. They also served fish eyes in a bowl which just about made me hurl. Luckily they served several bottles of J&B whiskey too.:eek::
Also in the Philippines, they eat undeveloped duck embryos still inside the egg. They call it Balut.
http://www.cracked.com/article_14979_6-most-terrifying-foods-in-world.html

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Yup....it won't work.
And Balut is nasty......just nasty.
My wife won't even eat it and she'll eat some weird stuff.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I had a large water snake crawl over the dock and into my boat. there are many ropes in my boat, and they didn't seem to slow it down any. It went from from to back in about 10 seconds crossing ropes and the spaghetti pile of wiring on my electrical control panel.

·
Registered
215 Posts
An old myth recounted in J Frank Dobies book "Rattlesnakes" if you want background. Definitely not true, easily tested at any rattlesnake roundup. <G>

GreyOne

·
Forum Administrator
16,791 Posts
With my luck, the snake would be trying to hump the rope.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,317 Posts
Is this an old wives tale?.
I went and asked my wife and she said if I make one more crack about her age she would invite her mother to live with us.:eek:

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
i know it aint true back when i was a cop a copperhead crawled across my feet in the middle of a marjuana patch whitch is hemp.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't know about hemp and snakes but during mosquito season if you tear the head off a match and swallow it it will keep you from getting eaten alive it also works for ticks and chiggers to try it the next time your out in your backyard or deep in the woods. The sulphar in the match is released from your pours and acts like a bug repelant.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts