Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first a little background. Though it has been a couple of years since I've actually gone, and even longer since I killed anything, I still consider myself a deer hunter. I also go turkey and bird hunting almost every year. Since I got married 8 years ago, I have not been a member of any hunting club since I have had access to 85 acres of my wife's famult land that is easy to access and game plentiful.

Before I got married I had been a member of 2 different hunting clubs. The first was a small group with access to a couple of hundred acres and had no improvements. You paid and went out and hunted. I quit them when they stared letting folks hunt with dogs. Nothing against except it it doesn't play well with tree stand hunters to have the dogs bellowing and running away all the deer. The other was a bit more formal. Monthly fees and you could camp if you wanted. They had a cleaning shed and a range of sorts but, the old man that owned the land died and his family sold it off.

Weel, to make a long story even longer, I have been invited to join a new club. This one is about 140 miles from my home and is VERY expensive to join. It's on almost 1500 acres that is bordered on the west by the MS river, on the North by a small stream. The east and south is fenced with 8 foot chain link. They have a contract with a conservationist who visits three or four times a year and manages the deer population by advising howm many bucks a nd does can be taken each season. There is ample turkey, some wild hogs, dove, quali and small game. The creek, the MS River and the several ponds and one 46 acre lake (old oxbow) apparently provide great fishing. There's a good road system and great trails. Some of the guys hunt by horse other by atv or 4x4.

There are plenty of permanent blinds, stand and shooting houses. 3 large dove fields and, they claim, good duck hunting in the marshes.

In the center of the northern section is the lake mentioned above. There, just up from the lake, is a cleaning shed, shower room, bunk house and covered pavillion with grills and such. There are currently 8 small cabins and 13 permanently affixed mobile home (all nicely spaced and well upkept) scattered around the clearing. Thay have 30 members and are trying to get to a max of 50.

Membership details: The yearly mebership dues are high. Roughly equivalent to buying a new truck every other year or so. All of the members I met yesterday seemed very well off. All business owners, doctors etc. If you join, you are granted 1/2 acre in the "village". There you can build a small cabin (no more than 1250 sq ft) or place a single wide mobile home or just use it as a slip for the camper. There are no lines coming into the property. Watr is provided by wells (3) and there are four wind mills (I assume driving the pumps). The cabins I saw seemed to be very advanced solar powered but I also saw a lot of generators. Sewage is a combination. Some have septic, others use compost and chemical.

After taking the tour and leaving the place with my buddy (the member that asked me to join) I couldn't help but think of the possibilities of this palce as a survival BOL. It has great game, good farmable land, fresh water and pretty sustainable power. It's very defensible. Out in the middle of nowhere. Then I started thinking that maybe I had been asked to join more than a hunting club. Maybe a Survival Group.

There limit of 50 memebers seems arbitrary for that much space unless you want to keep the #s low for after SHTF. The granting of personal use land inside the club (though only a lease in reality) seems like a way to give people a BOL with a bulit in excuse. Some of the shooting houses and stands seem placed to give as much of a view of the fence lines and perimeter as the hunting areas inside the club. More like observation points than deer stands.

So, if they are a survival gropu, what kind? The friend that asked me to join is not a religious nut. He's not a racist, leans republican but hates Bush. He's well off and I have had discussions with him about prepping before. He seemed receptive but didn't act like he was into the prepper mentality much.

The othe guys I met are all well off self made men. All seem to have familys and they told some good jokes. No body mentioned, SHTF, ETWAWKI or anything like that. Nobody told racist jokes or tried to save my soul. Just a bunch of guys that like to hunt and fish.

I wouldn't join if it was just for hunting, too much money. But, if these are a group of guys with a real plan and this set up.....I might be much more interested.

What do you think? Hunting Club only or Survival Compound disguised as a hunting club? Do I just ask? If I do and thay think I'm nuts?

Sorry for the long post. If any of you guys are the ones who entertained me yesterday, thanks and you can PM me (that'll answer the question).

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
The first question that came to mind was, if the SHTF and you and your wife pull up with a pickup full of supplies and the "well to do guy " shows up with a tractor-trailer full of stuff , where would you folks fit into the pecking order.
Just a thought .................Alaskan..........Dennis

·
Banned
404 Posts
the two "pay" for membership clubs i went to and have hunted were set up as..

xxx space for your trailer, water,sewer and electric hook up.
communal fire pit/outdoor area
communal BBQ pits and grills
communal frezzers and dressing stations
large "great" halls with pole barned outter area for meetings and picnics when weather was nice.
indoors- showers,stoves, tv's.
atvs
8ft fenced in 6 acre area where the trailers and cabins were.
over 20k acres

the second i went to.

middle of BFE-
20 man cabin.
gravity fed plumbing froma stream
gen powered electric, Sat T.V. x 3
gas appliances, log stoves and fireplaces.
meat shed/cooler
wood shed
ATVs
composting outhouse
camp cook provided
100 acres then crown land in no where canada

3rd same as above- but no chef...and 1500 acres

what you got invited to 99% chance was a well off hunt club. most any club that charges over 600$ a year will have some sort of accomodations and areas for communal use.

could some be "survivalist" there sure, but more than likely no.

sorry my take on it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Roughly equivalent to buying a new truck every other year or so
Yearly dues equivalent to buying a new truck!!

what are you talking? 10-20k a year in dues?? or like 3-5k a year? more? less?

It does sound like a VERY nice place.. and to even consider something like that, then I would surely hope you are of the means to afford membership to it.. and by afford, I mean like writing a $3000 dollar check is to you what buying a Mickey D's value meal is to me...

You mention that your buddy invited you... and that you have talked with him a bit about prepping, but he showed little interest.. there are 2 scenerios here..

1 - He is all about survivalism, and totally stays under the radar about it.. your conversations with him were more telling to him about what kind of guy you were, and thus led to the invite... OR

2 - This is simply just a hunting / fishing club made up of well to do's

or sinisterly.. It could be that they want to hunt YOU!!!!

·
The end is near.
1,376 Posts
Yearly dues equivalent to buying a new truck!!

what are you talking? 10-20k a year in dues?? or like 3-5k a year? more? less?

It does sound like a VERY nice place.. and to even consider something like that, then I would surely hope you are of the means to afford membership to it.. and by afford, I mean like writing a $3000 dollar check is to you what buying a Mickey D's value meal is to me...

You mention that your buddy invited you... and that you have talked with him a bit about prepping, but he showed little interest.. there are 2 scenerios here..

1 - He is all about survivalism, and totally stays under the radar about it.. your conversations with him were more telling to him about what kind of guy you were, and thus led to the invite... OR

2 - This is simply just a hunting / fishing club made up of well to do's

or sinisterly.. It could be that they want to hunt YOU!!!!

I agree with this view. I'm assuming the club fees are 6K per year or there-about.

You said you would be interested if this is a survivalist setup. Going with that I would suggest you get your fees together and then go have a heart to heart talk with your buddy. Point out what you observed at the club that led you to believe it might be a survivalist setup and ask directly if that's what you would be buying into.

If he says no, you can decline his offer. If he says yes you can make your decision based on what he said and the answers to further questions you ask.

Oh, and if you think they might want to hunt you then consider caching appropriate supplies near by. Turn the hunters into the hunted. LOL.

·
Psychometrician
203 Posts
6k a year would buy a lot of preps and even some land in a few places.
This is what I came to say.
Regardless of your financial situation, if you're even considering this place then you must be able to put together a much more practical BOL on your own. Only reason not to would be if you think things will go bad very soon, and you feel you need the place because it's partially set up by others.

Also, 50 people is reasonable for an exclusive hunting club, but way too many random people for a "compound". As said before, if others in the group are thinking of this as their BOL, you'll end up with 100 or hundreds of strangers in YOUR BOL.

If you can put away 5k or 10k a year and the world can hang on just a couple more years, you'll be able to assemble a private retreat for just your family.

·
Where da' gold at?
566 Posts
Sounds like a well off hunt club to me. I agree with the other post, a $6,000 or more yearly dues could be saved and in a few years buy you land and a good supply of preps. There is a club I know of that is $25,000 a year. Some people just have too much money i guess. :rolleyes:

·
I am whatever I say I am
1,308 Posts
One should always try to stick to his/her own class of people, especially when it comes to putting together a survivalist group. You don't want to stick out, whether by being too rich or too poor for the group. JMO. And yes, that money could be better spent on preps.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The larger the compound and group membership, the more likely you are to be high profile and therefore WILL be noticed by the Federal Goon Squads. The larger the group who is armed and supplied, and is known to be "SURVIVALISTS" the more the likelihood will be, that you ALL WILL BE, determined to be ENEMY COMBATANTS of the STATE!

It isn't going to matter if you ever take a shot at any one in law enforcement or not. It is by the virtue of the facts, that your group is armed, setup in a barracaded compound, is for members only, and most likely will have a anti-government philosophy! That will be enough right there, for the GOOMBA'S to raid your compound at 3 AM!

It is far far better to be in a small, well trained, well supplied, like thinking, hit and run ambushing group, rather than be hunkered down on some Large Survivalist Ponderosa Ranch!

Think wolf pack! nuff said!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. I thought it through yesterday and have about decided against it. Dues and the required "lease" of space for your cabin/mobile home comes to 600 per month. That's 7200 a year that I could definitey spend on my own BOL. The thought of having 50 or so like minded non-nut job preppers as a support group and the amenities offered was appealing. I still dont know if these guys are preppers or just well off hunters, but I can definitely use the money for the better I think.

The folks involved are all well off. I own my own business and could probably afford the dues, but it would be really tight. The missus would not like missing out on the yearly family vacation in exchange for the occasional trip to the hunting club.

I can probably take half that amount and prep the family land better and be much happier. The poster that said what would I do when I showed up with a pick up load of supplies and the guy next door had a tractor trailer was dead on. If these guys are preppers, I can see them drawing a lot of attention. (and if not, then maybe they won't get there when the SHTF and now I know of a great BOL with solar, water and ample game :thumb:

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Truthpick:
The idea of the tractor/trailers came to me after see the news of a cult in Texas.
Their nut job leader had set the date for domesday. I believe all his believers had signed over everything to him.
They had a field with a massive amount trailer rig lined with supplies, it looked like a truck stop on a major interstate.
Did yo ever notice when they interview these "cult" members they all look like they all took a very large hit of acid ?
Good idea to find your own B.O.L. Then the only one you have to answer to is "S.W.M.B.O." (she who must be obeyed) as we say around my house.
.....................................Alaskan....

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,351 Posts
I was going to suggest joining them and turning them into survivalist, but for 7200 a year I would build my own camp.

Even just adding to your preps 7200 goes a long way..... 3396 cans of Spam from Sam's Club....

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was going to suggest joining them and turning them into survivalist, but for 7200 a year I would build my own camp.

Even just adding to your preps 7200 goes a long way..... 3396 cans of Spam from Sam's Club....
There has got to be a law against having that much spam. A weapon of A$$ Destruction. :D:

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
I would not do it. Consider this:

The deer lease I am on is five hours away and on 3200 acres in central Texas. There are a total of 8 of us on this lease. We are free to use it year round. We are all family and very close friends of family (by invite only). Each of us pays $ 3000 per year and have a very good rapport with the land owner (who happens to own the adjacent 4000 and 800 acre tracts).

The land is rocky scrub land and sandy soil. The dominant foliage are mesquite trees, live oak trees prickly pear cactus and intermittant patchs of grassy field. There are two wells and abundant game. The legal limit of deer per hunter in this county is 5 (2 bucks and three does). There are plenty of turkey, dove, rabbit (cotton tail and jack), javelina, bobcat, other small game as well as wild edibles. Plus if TSHTF, there are sheep and a small herd of cows too.

The closest town is ten miles away from the lease with a population around 2000. The camp is over a mile from the only gate and road into the property.We have two travel trailers (sleeping eight total) with running water from the wells and electricity. There are two generators to power the trailer if needed.

I am the only survivalisticly minded person of the group. It does not bother them but they think it is wierd when I eat the fruit from a cactus or eat a jack rabbit. That is OK though, let them think that. I have been quietly bringing preps and cache items there. Clothing, canned goods, spices, gasoline, diesel fuel, ammo, propane, tools etc. Just a bit at a time. The best part? We all split the expenses! Besides hunting, the land provides opportunites to practice skills like tracking, navigation, gathering, building and wild plant recognition. Besides a bug out location, it is a great retreat--not just away from the wife and kids, but also a place to bring them to bond and learn.

Stay away from the clubs as a BOL--especially at that price. You would better serve yourself and family with something to call your own.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts