Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a newbie, so be nice. I just got through reading the Rawles book and several others. I knew I wanted to buy some guns, but growing up as a city boy, the only guns we saw were in the hands of the cops who were chasing us when we were teenagers.

So I researched and followed some advice from the book and from other sources.I decided on getting a:
1) Either a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500, for security, hunting small game or fowl, and of course for shtf..
2) a handgun, probably a Glock 9mm, for personal protection and stealth if necessary.
3) A 22 rifle for practice and for small game hunting. Wanted to get one which used 22lr ammo and could mount optics.
4) A larger semi auto caliber rifle, either a sks or ak-47 or ar-15.

So I go into my local (rural WI) gun shop browsing for about the fourth time. This place has a good reputation and the guy who owns it never "tries" to sell me anything. He just answers q's and seems very sharp. They also have a gunsmith onsite.

Talking with the owner, he says one of his counter persons husband just died and she wants to sell his guns as she does not use them. So here's what he showed me.

1) A Remington 1100 Magnum, which takes 2 3/4 up to 3" shells. It comes with an extra barrel, which is longer. 12gauge. It looks to be in very good condition. Wood has no marks or scratches or on the rest of the gun either. He says it fires either standard or magnum ammo.
2) A Savage model 60 rifle.22 cal. Takes 22lr ammo. Again, in very good shape.

Owner says his gunsmith went through them thoroughly and that "they are perfect".

Now here's what I really like about the deal: If I buy new, I have to do the paperwork, wait for approval, order guns, pay extra ssr, shipping, tax, etc. If I buy it directly from his employee, he says I would be doing a private sale, directly paying the woman, thereby eliminating all of the above hassle and expense.

He showed me the shotgun wholesale value is 900-950 without the extra barrel.

So if I went with my original plan, my shotgun and rifle would cost at least 1000-1100. The savage looks like it sells for about 600 new. The Mossberg new goes for about 329 with the extra barrel, but add shipping, ssr fees, etc and I'd wind up totaling out at well over 1000, but they would be new.

She's asking $500 total for both guns, and I'm not sure but I think that includes the hard case with the foam inside.

My thoughts are to grab it, as I tend to over analyze things to death. This way I'd have a couple guns to start, and at only $500. No tax, shipping, other fees, background checks, etc.

Deal or no deal? Thanks for any advice. I truly appreciate it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would pass.

Mainly based upon your confession of being a newb......nothing wrong with that, hear me out.

This is my OPINION. I'm not a dealer or a smith, just a gun nerd and a shotgun junkie.

The Remington 1100 magnum is about a 3-400 dollar shotgun, I haven't owned one, but here's why......it's a MAGNUM gun, it was manufactured to run mainly heavy magnum loads and is known to be finicky about lighter loads. It's not exactly a 2.75"/3" gun like the 11-87.

A newb simply shouldn't start off with this, you want a reliable, non-fussy 12ga to run some cheap Walmart ammo through and learn with. Magnum loads are not fun, nor cheap to shoot, they're rather specific to their intended use. You pay the price in dollars and pain to achieve your goals.

Stick to your original plan and choose between the 500 and 870, either will be fine. Personally, I would recommend an older 870 Wingmaster inspected by a competent smith. They can be had for 250-350 and are well worth the money.

A Savage Model 60 is just a simple 22lr bolt gun, I find no fault with that, it is what it is. It's no longer made, Numrich stocks parts for it, and 10rnd mags are available. I honestly no nothing more about it. A quick google search turns up little, which tells me only that it's not a loved classic which lotsa folks talk about, nor is it a piece of crap that everybody complains about. I don't know where you drew the 600 dollar figure from, and I havent seen the gun, but I suspect this to be incorrect, Savage makes an OK gun, but high dollar Savage 22's aren't common.

I'm not saying this isn't a good deal, it ain't SMOKIN, but it's fair. I just think you could buy better guns for the same price.

I don't want to sound like I'm being harsh to your local gun guy, BUT.....The "wholesale" value you were shown may be correct for a Remington 1100, but you're looking at an 1100 MAGNUM, a niche gun from the past. If this was an awesome deal he would scoop them and sell them for a profit, or he might consign them for her.....I'm simply leary of a gun dealer which would suggest a paperless sale on oddball guns, personally I would think STOLEN......he may be square dealin, but there are bad eggs anywhere...just sayin.

Don't get hung up on NEW. To be honest most firearms manufactures have cut corners in recent years to keep costs down and quality has dropped....Ruger and Remington in particular. In some cases nice used guns are superior. I would suggest taking some time and shopping a bit. Plus many folks are unloading closet guns and its a good time to buy used. I've scored more than a few VERY nice shotguns recently for killer prices.

Quoting you "If I buy new, I have to do the paperwork, wait for approval, order guns, pay extra ssr, shipping, tax, etc. "

Unless Wisconsin has some state laws regarding long guns that I'm not familiar with. The paperwork is simple, name address, etc. and nothing to fret. The approval (NICS check) id a telephone call, or internet search, and should take less than 5 minutes. I don't know what "SSR fees" are, and you shouldn't have to pay shipping on anything you want, most gun shops should stock them given their commonality.

Hope I helped in some way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for the informative answer. I actually went over there today and told them I was going to pass. The 1100 was a bit longer than I'd like. I didn't want to buy on impulse and regret it later, plus I really like that on the Mossberg 500, there's a package for $308 new which includes some extras. Sounds like buying through the store won't be as bad as I thought. I'll check into that 870 model you mentioned.For buying used, any suggestions on where would be a good place to look? There's a few shows around here, but the next one with some good reviews isn't til Oct. Craigslist won't let you post guns. Is there a good site you like, or would you stick with shows? Thanks again.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My first suggestion would be to shop around and learn your stuff until hunting season will start in your state, there are great deals to be had around that time. Especially for the "standards" you're looking for.

Look for sale flyers from any local sporting goods stores, MC Sports, ****s, Dunhams, places like that. Does your local Walmart still sell guns?.....they were the place to buy a Mossberg until many of the stores stopped guns all together.

I get most of my stuff at Gander Mountain. Partly because there's only a few local gun stores, but mostly because they move alot of stock so guns and prices change a lot, and they have a decent layaway deal. They can order in most anything you want, new guns are sometimes priced a bit high. But a Mossberg should be competitive.

Gun stores tend to have slightly higher prices since they don't have the corporate buffer to pay the bills, but not all of them.

Gun shows seem hit or miss around here. There are deals to be found for sure, but a lot of shady dealers and inflated prices too.

Ive bought from GunBroker.com, it's an ok place, but folks will bid things up to more than they're worth. I use it mainly for research and parts.

I've bought a couple guns from Budsgunshop.com and they're good enough for me. Realtime inventory, huge selection, and decent prices.

Anything on the net will cost you shipping and transfer fees, so keep that in mind.

The Mossberg 500/Remington 870 debate is like Ford/Chevy, everyone argues they're reasons, evereone's seen lemon guns from both sides, but most of all everyone loves either one enough to argue about it. I prefer the 870, but if you like the Mossberg, then by all means go for it.

When you get to the ammo part, If Walmart doesn't have what you need, be prepared to buy in large quantity from the net to offset shipping and hazmat fees. You may find a good sale, but most stores that sell ammo are ridiculous. Honestly, I've spent over $5000 on guns at Gander Mountain, and never bought one round from them.

Also, newer ammunition is really just overpriced tacticool junk. There are cheaper and better or comparable alternatives.

Being a newbie, quantity and price will be key to being able to practice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts