Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
807 Posts
yep im a gun newb and those saiga guns dont accept normal ak47 mags( I belive) and alot of people have ak47s.the normal ak 47 mags will be more easy to find when SHTF. so like you im on a budget and check out the norinco hunter ak47. here not priced bad and the accept normalak47 mags. but again i am a gun newb myself and i am about to purchase my first gun (norinco hunter). but from the research i have done the scope mounts are a bit expensive. but I dont plan on putting a scope on it. also for a good budget 3 gun system check out the mossberg 500 JIC and the mosin nagant.
At my gun shop
1 close range/ mossberg 500 jic $400
2 medium range/ norinco hunter 762x39 $550
3 long range/ mosin nagant $120
all 3 have good priced ammo and all 3 can be had for cheap
Good luck on finding the right gun for you.

·
Knife Maker
726 Posts
Yes the Saiga rifle is a Russian made AK...it won't accept hi cap mags without some easy modifications. At the price they are selling for you could put $150.00 in to some basic mods and then they will accept hi cap mags and you would still have less in it than a Chinese AK which will be used any how, You would end up with a BRAND NEW AK 47 not a rifle put together from a 30 year old parts kit. And the Chinese AK's haven't been imported for a long time so most examples of them in the US have been used for years.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Exactly what dmac27 said.

Just remember to make the gun 922 compliant if you do the conversion.
Swap out the US made trigger pack and stocks are a good first step and part of the back to original conversion.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
but since it takes the 30rd surefire mags, even if they are expensive as hell, dont you think i would save money by not converting it and just buying some of those 30rd mags?

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
This is a GREAT budget SHTF rifle, and it's the real deal.

Several people here have done some Saiga mods to classic AK styling and magazines.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Look Russian doesn't mean the best when it comes to AK, and it defiantly doesn't mean easy. If you are in a state that doesn't allow AKs to be what they are, the Saiga is a fine weapon. It is fine for conversion as well.

While I am not a big fan of WASR a working wasr is usually about as good as a Saiga for the most part.

·
Registered
5 Posts
While I am new to this blog i have to comment about your magazine statement. Having to use non standard mags in a rifle is a big no no. I use the AR-15 platform, don't think it is better it is just what I use. I would not have less than 20 magazines for my rifle. The russian Saiga is a fine AK,I have more WASR AK's in my shop for repair than even race AR's so I would stay away. Hope this helps.

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
Look Russian doesn't mean the best when it comes to AK, and it defiantly doesn't mean easy. If you are in a state that doesn't allow AKs to be what they are, the Saiga is a fine weapon. It is fine for conversion as well.

While I am not a big fan of WASR a working wasr is usually about as good as a Saiga for the most part.
Yea, as long as it's "working"... :rolleyes:

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
"Is this a good budget SHTF gun?"
Yup, lots of them. The AK is good, but getting spendy. You may want to check out the SKS rifles and various brands of pump shotguns in 20- or 12-ga. or even a single shot shotgun.
Parts in Russian AKs are heat treated, Chinese AKs are merely surface hardened, so the Russian ones generally last longer.

·
Registered
650 Posts
You would also be breaking the law since doing this would put you in violation of 922R.

This is why I dislike this forum...lots of people do not know the laws and yet they are giving advice. My advice is to become educated. I'm sure I will get another warning or some sort, but it's the truth. Hard to weed out all the illegal advice being given on this forum.

but since it takes the 30rd surefire mags, even if they are expensive as hell, dont you think i would save money by not converting it and just buying some of those 30rd mags?
The Saigas have gone up in price over the years, but they are still a very good bang for the buck. Where else are you going to get a built AK47 in the original Russian plant with the correct barrel for under $400? If you get any Saiga, do yourself a favor and do the conversion...it's simple and it will make the Saiga they way it should have been imported to the US. Just make sure you have enough US made parts to avoid any 922R issues down the road.

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
You would also be breaking the law since doing this would put you in violation of 922R.

This is why I dislike this forum...lots of people do not know the laws and yet they are giving advice. My advice is to become educated. I'm sure I will get another warning or some sort, but it's the truth. Hard to weed out all the illegal advice being given on this forum.
WTF are you talking about? :confused:

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Allow me to say yes. I have one and she's perfect, gonna drop the bullet guide in when I get it from Dinzag and more parts later. Wouldn't be lying if I said accurate as well.

·
91W & 11B
181 Posts
It's a very personal decision, with a whole bunch of "right" answers. That is one of the reasons why I like this forum - it lets me get a number of views on an issue or question. For me, I like the Mosin Nagant. Some dislike the recoil, but with the rubber recoil pad, I don't have a problem with it. The bolt action is simple and reliable - I've never had it not go "bang" when I pulled the trigger. Both the weapons and ammo are cheap, and the 7.62x54R round definitely does the job. I have less than $300 invested in my weapon, the mods I've done, and 1000 rounds of ammo.

As usual, your results may vary.
Enjoy the quest.

·
Shade Tree Gynecologist
3,705 Posts
WTF are you talking about? :confused:
I THINK he means making the rifle accept standard AK magazines and not adding the correct number of US made parts.

I think that law is bogus but, as they say, the law is the law.

BTW, has anyone ever been charged with violating 922?

My AK is only compliant when I use one special US made magazine that I have. (I call it my range mag cause I ony use it when I go to a public range.)
If I take that one US made mag out (that counts as 3 US made parts) does that mean when I am in violation of the law?

Edited to add: I don't really care if I am in violation of the law, just wondering. Too bad we need to hire a lawyer to exersize one of our consitutional rights.

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
I can assure you guys, noone is prosecuting 922 by itself, and it's impossible to legally determine if you are breaking the regulation unless the rifle is completely dissembled and all parts inspected.

Pretty sure the only people ever busted for it are actual manufacturers under the BATF's thumb...

Though, let me be clear, I'm not suggesting anyone knowingly break any law or regulation, no matter how B.S. it is.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts