Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
So I am looking into purchasing "The Competitive AR15 Builders Guide" book to help me in building my own AR. I have never owned an AR before, but really like the idea of constructing my first from the ground up or at the very least understanding the components as I purchase a complete upper or such. My question though is that I am wondering if anyone would recommend this book? I know many here are experienced AR owners and can help this newbie get pointed into the right direction.

As a side note, another reason why I would like to build my own AR is not just for the knowledge but that I can continue to make progress towards owning a rifle that I really like rather than save up a bunch of money and buy a whole gun to just turn around and modify it.

Link for the book:

·
Errrrr
5,680 Posts
Hey everyone,
So I am looking into purchasing "The Competitive AR15 Builders Guide" book to help me in building my own AR. I have never owned an AR before, but really like the idea of constructing my first from the ground up or at the very least understanding the components as I purchase a complete upper or such. My question though is that I am wondering if anyone would recommend this book? I know many here are experienced AR owners and can help this newbie get pointed into the right direction.

As a side note, another reason why I would like to build my own AR is not just for the knowledge but that I can continue to make progress towards owning a rifle that I really like rather than save up a bunch of money and buy a whole gun to just turn around and modify it.

Link for the book: The Competitive AR15 Builders Guide: How to Choose and Assemble All the Components to Construct Your Ultimate AR-15 by Zediker, Gled D.: Amazon.com: Books
The link didn't work, but you really don't need a book...just find a schematic and picture that names all the parts, then watch a youtube video and you can learn how to put one together.

The biggest thing is to apply Aeroshell MS33 grease to the threads of the buffer tube, torque the castlenut to 40 ft/lbs, and stake the castlenut in.

That and buy quality parts. Get a 7075 alluminum buffer tube, not a 6061.

What is the purpose of the gun anyways? the book you are looking into discusses competition. Keep in mind a 3-gun AR-15 is going into very different territory these days than say a self defense gun.

Also, I know you are interested in building your own...but the price for these:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...gth-16-rifle-sku100-018-335-81838-174289.aspx

or a Colt OEM1 or OEM2 are a good start.

They are quality base line rifles missing the fancy furniture you'd throw on anyways. About the only change I would do is put in a Geiselle SSA-E which can be found for less than 200 bucks if you look around.

I wouldn't sweat trying to build it in pieces parts nowadays there is such a glut in the market you can get a decent AR-15 for under $600.

If you really want to "build" it, just go get whatever you like from here:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15-05/rifle-kits.html?manufacturer=8

Don't get PTAC though, spend the money for either the freedom or premium PSA lines. Then just get a $50 dollar lower and slap it together.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Looks to be a pretty good basic book.

You don't really need it, the information is available for free on the Internet, but the price isn't outrageous for a nice, well laid out book that you can lay out flat while you are actually building.

If it would make you more comfortable during your build, I say go for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.