Survivalist Forum banner

Would You like To See A Dedicated Food Preservation Forum?

• Yes! I would love to participate!

Votes: 108 96.4%
  • No, I don't think a dedicated forum is needed.

Votes: 4 3.6%
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Just the facts, Ma'am.
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would be good to know how much interest there might be in a dedicated forum for food preservation, which would include: smoking, curing, fermenting (drinks, vegetables, dairy and more) cheese making, drying, canning and freezing. Are there other preservation methods? Well they would also belong here.

This is a skill that on one level is simply fun to participate in, but as far as a survival skill, it is as important as hunting, gathering and gardening. If you can't put up what you kill, find or grow, it won't do you and your family much good.

If you would like to participate in a food preservation forum, please vote yes. If you don't really think it warrants a forum of it's own, let us know why.

In the meanwhile, use this thread to post your fermentation, drying, curing, smoking... etc. triumphs and failures here. Maybe one of our moderators will make it a sticky if they see enough desire/activity. Maybe Kev will see a need and add a new forum for this. It never hurts to ask!:D:

·
Just the facts, Ma'am.
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i believe it would be alot easier if all the info was in one place. i gave up trying to find diy food storage info here and have been using youtube for it. i would definitely like to see a section specifically dedicated to diy food storage.
I understand your frustration with doing searches. I honestly think it is more a problem with learning to use the search function. I still haven't got it down. I rarely find what I am looking for quickly. Is there a primer on using the search function anywhere?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Excellent idea to condense all food preservation into 1 area. After all these are some of the basic skills that are being forgotten by most folks 40 and younger. For those of us who have experience in canning, brewing, smoking meats, etc. and are willing to share is a valuable resource for those who wish to learn.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
I don't care one way or the other. I use this forum most often to gather ideas for a more extended search. By the time all the voices are heard from on most threads there is enough misinformation to kill you if not send you wandering around in circles.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I like organization and having a separate area for food preservation would be so good. Much easier to find each individual area, instead of all lumped together in one thread. Want canning and not curing? Just look in 'canning'. Nice! Hope that you decide to do this! -k

·
Just the facts, Ma'am.
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tasso: The Final Chapter.

A few months ago, I smoked a tasso ham. Normally, I just cure them with salt, sugar and spices. The smoke really added a lot to this ham, and I will do it again when I get my smoker built. This is the last in a series of 4 videos.

·
Banned
1,290 Posts
I see a lot of canning questions get buried in the garden and recipe threads, it would be great to have a dedicated place for all food preservation. One of the most important aspects of survival, I believe.

Thanks Doc! And thanks for the videos, I enjoyed the first one and am looking forward to the second one you posted.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
It would save me time (which is in very short supply) to find answers to " now that I have X,Y,Z....how to put it up!" Like 2 dz eggs a day when the boys eat 6 eggs a week<sigh>.

Liebrecht......have the beens done and the corn still staring at me.....

·
Future Codgers of America
218 Posts
I love making my own sausage and cheese (tho I haven't done a lot of it yet) so I voted yes but, I don't think it needs to be a completely separate forum like the Perfect Union gun forum. I would like to see it as a sub-forum like the recipes one here.

+N

1 - 20 of 59 Posts