Survivalist Forum banner

121 - 140 of 185 Posts

·
Dog
409 Posts
You assume such places exist everywhere. They do not. And even if you do have them, they can't compete on ammo right now with the big box retail sporting goods stores anyway. You will pay A LOT more because their distributors have jacked prices or don't have anything to sell them or those places are going online to buy ammo just like the rest of us and paying those same prices, but then charging a bit more so they make some profit. .

I live in a small town in western Montana. Walmart doesn't sell much ammo anymore, so in my town we have a single pawn shop that does and a regional farm/ranch store. The farm/ranch place has the best prices on guns/ammo and always has since Walmart stopped. The pawn shop wants close to new value for their used guns and carries hardly any ammo. If I go down the road I have one local farm/ranch place that is always the most expensive place to buy guns or ammo, period. I have to go 35 miles to find a real LGS type business.
Cool should you mind pricing a brick of 22lr. I’m sure you can get it for the price you always pay. I’m moving to Montana where pawn shops have better prices than anywhere on the internet.

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
I read today that Sturm Ruger is increasing production by 30% trying to keep up with the demand. Seems rather optimistic given the ammo situation, but maybe they know something we don't.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Cool should you mind pricing a brick of 22lr. I’m sure you can get it for the price you always pay. I’m moving to Montana where pawn shops have better prices than anywhere on the internet.
I have no idea who you are replying to. I was quoting someone who said we should all buy local and pointing out that his idea of a friendly local gun store who will take care of you doesn't exist in a lot of places.

·
Survivor
16,295 Posts
I just called our LGS (the only one that didn't burn in the Camp Fire) and had him put me on the list for a few different powders, he will call when he gets them in. His prices are about 10% higher than Sportsman's Warehouse but he is local and a good guy.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
I read today that Sturm Ruger is increasing production by 30% trying to keep up with the demand. Seems rather optimistic given the ammo situation, but maybe they know something we don't.
A former neighbor of mine works at the Prescott plant. He says they are swamped.

·
Fenced In
3,310 Posts
The Federal plant across town is running around the clock, mandatory overtime, and looks to be continuing to do so for the foreseeable future. They're still trying to deliver on last year's contracts, because nobody was expecting to sell out of everything all the way throughout the supply chain. My hunch is that some of the stuff they are (or were) sending out to make good on those outstanding orders was produced using leftover components from discontinued lines or limited runs. For instance, I ended up with a few boxes of Hi-Shok JHP, which I haven't seen for sale in many years. There were some flat-nose FMJ in plain white boxes, the closest comparison I can recall being American Eagle in red/black boxes. There were some other oddballs, too, but I guess if the distributors and/or dealers are good with it, then it's one more 2020 contract finally fulfilled.

I've been fortunate to find what I need, although it hasn't necessarily been exactly what I planned on initially. Now is not the time to be overly picky if I don't absolutely need something specific to serve my purposes.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Local Ag Farm Fleet stores (all brand names) are selling ammo at normal pricing. And still honoring rainchecks from months ago. One in my area again has a full case of handguns and long guns. A sister store across town is still bare. I assume is a good line manager vs a dud. No reload components anywhere.

Ammo is in/out. Find out what day they stock the shelf and be there.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I think the government should step in and strictly control the price of ammo. Ration it in times like these. Perhaps a lottery system where you receive a number, and that is the day that month you can go in and buy your allotted boxes. A strict policy with ID, to make sure no one is cheating. 800 tip line to report anyone selling any ammo privately for more than the ration price. (Maybe a ban on that to keep things fair. Otherwise those with more money could just buy more ammo). Anyone buying more ammo than they actually need could also be fined. New shooters would have to register and get in line for a ration card.

That would allow us all to buy ammo at the correct prices, (plus whatever government fees would be necessary to administer the program).

NO MORE GOUGING!!!!

·
Dog
409 Posts
We have a combination of two things going on. One I believe is that the supply of ammo is being purposely withheld. The reason I believe this is that Canada never had a ammo shortage and they get the same ammo we do from the American manufactures. Then they did the same thing with 22lr from 2013-2016. You can't tell me that 22lr was in such demand that it took 3 years to get the shelves stocked again. Then the other problem is that there are hoarders going around buying up what ammo that is going to the big box stores and then reselling it online at inflated prices.
It's the Canadians! I knew it!

It's amazing the webs that are weaved while the simple answer... The demand for ammo is much higher than normal, is not believed.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Folks its not gouging,the demand is high, look at it this way I raise cattle,some years grass is good and hay is good basically a surplus of hay so hay is cheap but I dont need to buy any,other years grass dont grow very well and hay is short so I have to buy some hay,and I guarentee you if I'm short on hay so are lot of folks,why would I expect to buy hay at same price as last year when there was a surplus?

Now a smart fella either sells his extra hay and banks the money,or buys some cheap hay for bad years,he sure doesnt think he's going to buy hay in a drought for same price as year that has surplus.Same thing with ammo you either put some away for bad year or you pay this years price,and to be honest I didnt have enough put away for weather we are having,so I either buy over priced hay or sell some cows,not a dang bit of differance with ammo,you either have enough or pay shortage prices,no crying nessacry if you dont have it pay the price,it sucks but thats how it works

·
Registered
595 Posts
Something else to think about,years back folks bought ammo by the round,I know my dad talked about buying 10 .22shorts at a time because it just wasnt avalible and that was all he could afford and shorts was cheapest ammo,we are whining because a 50 rd box is to expensive,when we start buying them 10 or 12 at a time for 22 to put some meat in pot on back of stove thats when its serious,the worst butt chewing I ever got from dad was when I shot two .257 Weatherby shells at a rock about 400 yards from house,in his mind I waisted 2 deer,at the time early 70's we had little money but Dad still remembered when 1 round was important and even back then a single.257 Weatherby round was a buck a shot or same price as box of .22 LR,it isnt that bad yet we are spoilt !!

·
Dog
409 Posts
Folks its not gouging,the demand is high, look at it this way I raise cattle,some years grass is good and hay is good basically a surplus of hay so hay is cheap but I dont need to buy any,other years grass dont grow very well and hay is short so I have to buy some hay,and I guarentee you if I'm short on hay so are lot of folks,why would I expect to buy hay at same price as last year when there was a surplus?

Now a smart fella either sells his extra hay and banks the money,or buys some cheap hay for bad years,he sure doesnt think he's going to buy hay in a drought for same price as year that has surplus.Same thing with ammo you either put some away for bad year or you pay this years price,and to be honest I didnt have enough put away for weather we are having,so I either buy over priced hay or sell some cows,not a dang bit of differance with ammo,you either have enough or pay shortage prices,no crying nessacry if you dont have it pay the price,it sucks but thats how it works
You sir are the exception. When face with difficulty most people will go through acrobatics to blaim someone for their situation. Oftentimes to a ridiculous degree. Your common sense is refreshing.

I can't wait to hear the others. Canadian big feet have cornered the ammo market so aliens from another planet don't face opposition! The US government has been told by the trilateral commission to support this invasion and have been shipping our ammo to the Russians. While out hunting snipes Rush was assassinated by angry jackalopes.

It is entertaining to see it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Local Academy yesterday had a large qty of 30-30 American Whitetail for $15.84 a box, 2 box limit. It was gone in one hour after opening. A few random thoughts I had which I’m not sure at all are correct.
1. I suspect most new gun owners did not buy 30-30s but a lot of 223 & 9mm
2. If Academy can sell it at $15.84 they must have got it wholesale cheaper
3. I think there are gangs of folks rolling in at one time buying in concert to defeat the two box limit.
4. If you buy up all supply of lower demand calibers during a shortage mania that started on more popular calibers like 223 you can increase overall demand mania on all ammo. Sort of corner the market.
I was in good shape on ammo except for 35 rem. Finally found 5 factory new boxes at $35 each which I paid and felt like was a good deal currently compared to GB prices. Barring some new government regulations I think this ammo price inflation will last a good while but eventually return to normal.

·
Dog
409 Posts
I have seem people asking $1200 for 400 rounds of surplus ammo in local swap meet shopping adds.

as for me I am just dry-firing- and holding on to my money until this blows over
I sold 5000 rounds of 7.62x39 for $2500 to a guy with a table at a gun show. I helped him label the prices. I paid $0.50 a round and we marked it $1 a round. He was glad to make his profit and I was glad to make my profit. It was flying off the shelf. Everyone buying looked happy with their purchase.

Everyone happy with the deal.... America

·
Dog
409 Posts
Local Academy yesterday had a large qty of 30-30 American Whitetail for $15.84 a box, 2 box limit. It was gone in one hour after opening. A few random thoughts I had which I’m not sure at all are correct.
1. I suspect most new gun owners did not buy 30-30s but a lot of 223 & 9mm
2. If Academy can sell it at $15.84 they must have got it wholesale cheaper
3. I think there are gangs of folks rolling in at one time buying in concert to defeat the two box limit.
4. If you buy up all supply of lower demand calibers during a shortage mania that started on more popular calibers like 223 you can increase overall demand mania on all ammo. Sort of corner the market.
I was in good shape on ammo except for 35 rem. Finally found 5 factory new boxes at $35 each which I paid and felt like was a good deal currently compared to GB prices. Barring some new government regulations I think this ammo price inflation will last a good while but eventually return to normal.
I understand the emotion of the 2 box limit. After all, poor people need 30-30 ammo as much, if not more than rich people.

But the problem with these limits is they don't fix the shortage. As you reported, it was gone at that price within the hour. Rationing or price controls always produces shortages. It's a law of nature. If your store priced their ammo correctly they would never run out.

But ammo would be very expensive, so expensive that even rich people would only buy what the must have, not what they want. This, however, give the poor the short end of the stick, even though they probably NEED the ammo more. Yes they have the oportunity to see stocked shelves, which is good, but can they afford what is on the shelves?

That is why we are called to charity. Some people simply cannot afford ammo and they need it to feed themselves. Sometimes they can't afford it at normal prices. Help your neighbors.

121 - 140 of 185 Posts