Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
If you get chese by the wheel alot of times you can keep them for 1-2 years depending on the kind of cheese but once you cut into it you gotta go through it in normal time

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Is there any cheese that will keep a long time in the pantry?
In the old days, before refrigeration, cheese was made drier and more acidic, so bacteria would have a harder time settling in and growing at room temperature. Nowadays the only cheese I know of that still meets that criteria is Parmesan. That can last for several years...

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I know a lot of the hard cheeses when they are cured have a mold growth on the outside which adds flavor(i.e. bleu cheese) my grampa told me a long time ago that when you get moldy cheese just cut off the mold and the rest is ok. I have done this for years and ain't dead yet, wife wont eat it but then there is more for me. Check on Foodtv.com I think Alton Brown or one of them did a show about cheese storage and aging

·
Registered
503 Posts
Bega and/or Red Feather canned cheese.
Cheapest place I found recently was G&R Foods out of Wisconsin. I picked mine up off ebay for way cheaper than anyone else was selling it for.

·
Registered
33,084 Posts
The only cheese I stock is the canned cheese from Sams club. I would like to learn a little more about the waxed wheels of cheese mentioned by "Horned one" and the shelf life.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
grated parmesan.... not good for much but adding to dishes... but it comes in a can already.....
Gag! :xeye: Blick! :xeye:

That bland, whitish, stingy, powder that comes in little shaker containers? I have no idea what that stuff is,
but it is most definitely NOT Parmesan Cheese :D:

Americans don't really eat cheese. Some European countries still eat cheese. But in the USA, if you wander through a normal grocery store, that is frequented by the unwashed masses, there isn't any cheese in the entire building. There is some orange colored goop, and some sort of pre-wrapped spackling compound, but no cheese.

You have to search quite hard to find specialty delicatessens and a few shops that still carry cheese :(

...and these, like FarmerJohn and Moccasin mentioned are encased in wax or a solid, dry outer shell that will preserve the inner cheese for a very long time :thumb:

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Gag! :xeye: Blick! :xeye:

That bland, whitish, stingy, powder that comes in little shaker containers? I have no idea what that stuff is,
but it is most definitely NOT Parmesan Cheese :D:

Americans don't really eat cheese. Some European countries still eat cheese. But in the USA, if you wander through a normal grocery store, that is frequented by the unwashed masses, there isn't any cheese in the entire building. There is some orange colored goop, and some sort of pre-wrapped spackling compound, but no cheese.

You have to search quite hard to find specialty delicatessens and a few shops that still carry cheese :(

...and these, like FarmerJohn and Moccasin mentioned are encased in wax or a solid, dry outer shell that will preserve the inner cheese for a very long time :thumb:

I know King Soopers (Kroger) and Albertsons here all have extensive cheese isle. Not in the dairy section, but in the deli section.

I get Gouda and even my Bleu de Laqueuille from Soopers.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
The only cheese I stock is the canned cheese from Sams club. I would like to learn a little more about the waxed wheels of cheese mentioned by "Horned one" and the shelf life.
basicly after you make your cheese and put it it in a press and make it into the shape and size you want it you wax it heres a vid on how you wax a wheel of cheese at home making cheese and butter yourself is pretty easy

after its waxed it is pretty much sealed from the outside world so no germs will get in kinda like the canned cheese I guess but different and cheaper and how they traditionaly seal cheeses for aging

1 - 20 of 47 Posts