Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Banned
17,612 Posts
I dont' know about where you are, but in Tx an individual used to be able to go to the county tax office (here in Tx that's what office handled registrations but it may be a different office where you are) and do an "inquiry" on a plate number. I used to do it occasionally, and it cost a few dollars. What I would get would be a printout of the vehicles' current registration, owners name and address, and when it renewed.

I haven't done it in several years so I don't know if it's allowed in Tx anymore, but I would suggest you call your local vehicle registration office and ask them if you can.

·
camps in trees
2,068 Posts
Here in arkansas you used to be able to go to the dmv and pay a fee per plate you wanted info about. At one time it was $5 per plate but I'm sure that has changed and was/is higher in other areas.

·
Banned
46,784 Posts
In NYS theres a $5. ( ? ) fee and they wanna know why --- I believe ?

And I just tried that site -- my vanity tag didnt show up --

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ever thought of making friends with a LEO who might be willing to do you a favor?
I did have a few buddies on the local dept , that did it for me before, but they moved on to other careers , and they told me then that they could get in trouble for doing it , so i would not want to ask anybody to risk discipline for my curiosity at a suspicious car that has been in the neighborhood.

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts
I did have a few buddies on the local dept , that did it for me before, but they moved on to other careers , and they told me then that they could get in trouble for doing it , so i would not want to ask anybody to risk discipline for my curiosity at a suspicious car that has been in the neighborhood.
My deputy friend stated that they have to answer for every plate they inquire about. Not sure if all departments do this.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Courts have ruled that LEOs can run any tag just because it is there. It is not private information since it's on display for everyone, but some agencies still want to know what is going on and why offiers are doing things. Heck I used to drive through our section 8 areas and run all the tags I saw. I recovered several stolen vehicles and tags that way. In Fl you can go to the court house and run a tag.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
There are commercial services available

Is there a legal method or service to run automobile tag numbers for non leo ?
There are commercial database companies that have almost all plates on file. Of course, they cost money, but you may be able to make a deal with your local municipal "service bureau", i.e., with the companies that collect fines for parking violations, vehicles taxes, etc. They all have access to those databases, and they pay fairly minor fees for individual lookups, but you'll have to negotiate.

HTH.

William Warren

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
yea that is pretty much what my buddy said, he said they couldent just run a plate for a hot chick just to find out who she was etc, they could get fired for it.
We can run any plate but not on your behalf and we can't disseminate that information so someone who hasn't been certified throught NCIC. True, most of it is public information and you can go to the tag office and request it, but our MCT returns more information than their name and address. All requests are tagged with your agencies ORI and your ID.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Yep, in MI you have to account for your MDC inquiries. They can charge you. Misdemeanor leading up to a felony based on number of incidents. Some departments here run the transaction logs against the officers activity reports. Better be a match.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
In Florida you could get an auto dealers license and then subscribe to tagtalk, a service that runs plates and VIN numbers for dealers.

·
Semper Fi
9,489 Posts
In CA you used to be able to pay the DMV for that info but I seem to recall they stopped it when the State Lawmakers passed some anti-stalking law. Not sure what the current legality is.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So now you want to do what the gov, does that ****es everyone off< NICE SCREW my privacy. AND yes there are ways to do it, hopefully you never find them.
I live in a sub division, stuff has been coming up missing from several of my neighbors , lady next door had her lawn furniture get stolen the other night , I have been noticing a car that don't belong to anybody that lives up here.

What would you do in said situation ? The sheriffs dept is so busy they don't have time for every suspicious vehicle claim.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts