Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here but not new to the idea. Sorry if I'm repeating someone elses thread.
I'm looking for a wire saw that is compact and usable, if one exists.

·
Pencil 5, AUTOCAD 0
3,659 Posts
If you know anybody who plays bass guitar, ask for the old strings.. They are even
better if they are stainless steel. Wire saws are nice for the Altoids type survival
kits, and they work really well for shaping bone and small wood. I have not shopped
for one because I play bass, but I would think one with stainless wire and good solid
rings should be easy enough to make..

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Not wire, but the ones that use the chainsaw blade that operate almost the same way. I hear good reviews about those quite often. They are pretty small and compact too, but a little bit heavier I'm sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I Know of the chain type. I was just wondering if there was a decent wire saw. All the ones I have bought and sold were POS's. I try to sell decent stuff if I can. I hate it when a customer is not happy with what they purchased. I try to demo most stuff myself when and if possible. Thanks

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
You and your customers would be much better off with a folding saw or even a small bow saw. You can carry just a bow saw blade and the necessary bolts or screws and make a frame out of a green tree limb. There is a series of videos on youtube where a guy goes into the woods and makes a frame for a bow saw and builds a bomber shelter with it.

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
I'm new here but not new to the idea. Sorry if I'm repeating someone elses thread.
I'm looking for a wire saw that is compact and usable, if one exists.
The problem I have with wire saws is that they are difficult if not impossible to operate with just one arm / hand etc.

if one is injured in the wild a folding saw might be a good alternative.

IMHO

Reactions: DomC and 1stcavmp77

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me back up and clarify. I am looking for a good quality wire saw. If one exists.
I already sell folding saws, pack saws such as the Wyoming saw, and a few others. I'm not asking which type is better. If you are one armed or one handed I think for the most part either one is going to be difficult to operate.

·
Don't Tread On Me
216 Posts
I don't think there is such a product out there..at least not for extended use anyway.Cutting wood over and over is just too much to ask of something made of wire.A lot of heat is generated,a lot of flexing and bending. Wire just can't take it.I would just drop it all together and keep my customers happy IMO.

·
Registered
159 Posts
+1 for Gigli Saw. I haven't used it on anything other than bone, but it cuts thru it pretty well and is light weight. We have a few in our field amputation kits for work.

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
Let me back up and clarify. I am looking for a good quality wire saw. If one exists.
I already sell folding saws, pack saws such as the Wyoming saw, and a few others. I'm not asking which type is better. If you are one armed or one handed I think for the most part either one is going to be difficult to operate.
My wife is a surgical nurse, she packs the ones used for cutting bone in surgery. (Gigli)

very durable and probably expensive since its all stainless steel.

BTW Ive never had any difficulty operating a folding saw with one hand but fail to see how one could operate a wire saw with one hand. so the advantage , to me anyways, is obvious. ;)

Reactions: snipermedic

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
I like the idea of using a limb bow with wire saw.
One arm/hand people make do all the time.

I had a cheap wire saw that turned into a wire after one use.
I've got a Brit commando wire saw that looks like it might work.
I've also got a "military" wire saw that looks wicked, stiff wire with adjustable clamps.
I haven't tried the last two to see how well they work, they're in PSKs.
One use could be all you need in a kit.

I see youtubes of people using saws on wood that I would just break over my knee.
I also think the SAK saw is the bee's knees for a small saw.

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,863 Posts
I like the idea of using a limb bow with wire saw.
Agreed. The problem with wire saws is that no matter what brand, the user will invariably end up sawing with their wrists close together. It's just natural. You think it'll work better if you pull on it harder as you saw and your hands get closer and closer. Problem is, that's exactly like bending a wire coathanger back and forth. They get hot and break. Everything does with constant working like that. Material failure. A small stick bow will serve to keep the wire as straight as possible....unflexed as possible....so it'll last a few more uses than otherwise. Wire saws are notorious for being of limited use, though.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I think wire saws are a waste of time. I saw a 12 bow saw that is also compatible with hacksaw blades for $10. Pretty handy and very common man priced and replaceable blades is a winner in my book.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts