Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
gardener & news junkie
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by the feed & seed this morning to see if they had any leftover seed potatoes as I've decided to try a late planting and see how it holds up in the heat. My favorite sales lady said that for the first time, they ran out of seed potatoes and ran out early. They usually have some left over that they give away to someone to feed to their pigs but not this year. Hmmm...

When I was at Walmart yesterday I cruised by their Ferry-Morse seed display just to see how it was looking and sure enough, just about all the packets of bush and pole beans were gone as well as some of the corn packets and maybe a few squash.

Anybody else noticing anything either locally or online? Since I have everything I need for this year I haven't checked online seed companies in a good while. Are they still backlogged and /or out of a lot of stuff?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Shortages for seeds all over nationally. Lots of places would not even take an wholesale order from me for my nursery. I even had problems getting some things for my personal gardens.
As for seed potatoes, just grab a bag of potatoes at the supermarket, let them develop eyes in a few weeks and plant away! They grow and produce just fine.

·
Registered
832 Posts
In my area I've seen more new gardens going in than I have in many years, and there was no seed potatoes to be had any where in my area three or more weeks ago, not to mention not many seeds of any kind at least not like it normally is. People are woke to the rising food prices, even deer bait corn has gone up more than two dollars a bag this year.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I was at my local HD about 3 weeks ago looking at full racks of seeds. The only shortage I saw was yukon gold seed potatoes. The purple and brown color (cant remember the name) where in full supply. However looking through them I tossed about 12 boxes aside due to rotted potato seeds. I planted my potatoes last week. I had been ordering the rest of my seeds all through the winter as I could find them.

There was a shortage last year so if we didnt learn to order when/if you could find them prior to the season we didnt learn anything. Same will go for caning jars, chicks, and any other seasonal item.

·
Registered
255 Posts
There’s been no shortage of seeds in north Florida that I’ve seen. I think the people around here who already garden or farm are proceeding business as usual and the people who don’t simply don’t feel concerned enough to start trying. I’d say the percentage of home growers in north Florida is probably higher than average as a function of local culture. North Florida was a frontier area into the 1960s and people are still alive who remember having to homestead to survive.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I saw full racks the last time I went to fleet farm, but when I heard they had seed potato I was in the same day. I’m not surprised to hear that there are already shortages. I agree that people are waking up to the higher prices, remembering what happened last year, and doing something about it. My current gardening student is in BC Canada, and has done exactly that. I’m also glad that I saved seed and stocked up last year. IMO we’re in for another rough ride this year. Buckle up, fellow prepper gardeners!

·
NRA Life 1971
8,713 Posts
A couple of the large GMO free seed companies like Johnny's, restriced sales for gardeners until their commercial customers were taken care of. I don't remember this happening in the past.To me, this means a spike in demand.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Plenty of seeds in the midwest. Seed potatoes are scarce but available. I'm not doing anything last minute except asian eggplants. No seeds in the racks and I didn't order. Will just pick up a few when the nurseries stock up.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Rareseeds was the only problem persay, but I eventually received everything that was ordered. No problems locally. I picked up seed potatoes at the beginning of the month and they were loaded with stock, maybe not now though.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Wonder if our gov’ners’s going to ban seed purchases in the stores again this spring.
If she does, speak up. There might be a few people here with some extra seed and I"m sure it's your birthday! We can support the good people of the USPS. I know it's not true everywhere but mine here have been great!

·
Registered
3 Posts
In my area I've seen more new gardens going in than I have in many years, and there was no seed potatoes to be had any where in my area three or more weeks ago, not to mention not many seeds of any kind at least not like it normally is. People are woke to the rising food prices, even deer bait corn has gone up more than two dollars a bag this year.
i agree in my town we runout of seed pretty fast in the feed store

·
Work in progress
892 Posts
Displays in the stores are out of certain varieties. I have been getting spring sale emails from seed companies, they’re out of various varieties too. If you’re dead set on a particular type of seed, you can probably still find it but you will need to place orders from several places if you need seed for everything. Be a good time to get ahead for next season...

·
Bug-In Prepper
1,314 Posts
We seem to have plenty in California. I got all we need for this season at a grocery store kiosk last month. This weekend the kiosk was still pretty full, and the prices were typical of previous years.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I was just at my local HD this morning again. There flower seeds and fully stocked but any seeds you actualy eat are nearly picked through. They did have alot of green beans and lettuce. Didnt check potatos.

·
Jackpine Savage
4,322 Posts
I was just at my local HD this morning again. There flower seeds and fully stocked but any seeds you actualy eat are nearly picked through. They did have alot of green beans and lettuce. Didnt check potatos.
Wife just went to the store today, the greenhouse and the hardware stores actually. You can get lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, and okra as plants. Seeds are not much better. Try buying a rear tine tiller right now. Trust me that I am kicking myself in the ass this morning for not keeping the one that we had years ago.

She couldn't even find horseradish. Was told at both places that they couldn't get it in. No big deal I know where I can get it from someone that grows it, just never heard of a shortage of that.

·
Work in progress
892 Posts
Wife just went to the store today, the greenhouse and the hardware stores actually. You can get lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, and okra as plants. Seeds are not much better. Try buying a rear tine tiller right now. Trust me that I am kicking myself in the ass this morning for not keeping the one that we had years ago.

She couldn't even find horseradish. Was told at both places that they couldn't get it in. No big deal I know where I can get it from someone that grows it, just never heard of a shortage of that.
you can get roots here.

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
8,215 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts