Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
81 - 100 of 217 Posts

·
The Black Death
923 Posts
Loading a shotgun does not have to be slow. Look up "quad loading shotgun" on YouTube. But yes, it will be slower than an AR where you just change out the (20 round) magazine.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Loading a shotgun does not have to be slow. Look up "quad loading shotgun" on YouTube. But yes, it will be slower than an AR where you just change out the (20 round) magazine.
If you practice for endless hours, and you are very good at manipulating your gun and ammo under stress, yes you can reload a shotgun with 8 more rounds, in around the same time a novice can reload a semi auto carbine with 20, 30, 40, more rounds.

If you have fired off 8 rounds, or for that matter 4 rounds, in a HD shotgun, and you need to reload in a fight, you likely have chosen the wrong gun for your task.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
I doubt most bad guys can differentiate between 12 and 20, especially with good shot placement. I prefer a 12 because I'm big and don't have a hard time controlling it, but if all I had was a 20 I wouldn't be concerned.
As a home defense shotgun, the 20 ga with #1, #2, #3, or #4 buck, is far more capable than many think. At CQB range, you give up very little to 12 ga.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Guys, first off, I'm glad to see high levels of contribution to this thread.

Secondly, I think one of the critical components to finding/utilizing the best weapon in a survival situation is simply by trial and error (if you find yourself in such a situation). While I've grown to really appreciate the defense-style shotgun over the last year or so due to it's versatility, it's possible that a concealable revolver may turn out to be the best option. I think that we all need to continue to put various weapons thru their paces (when given an opportunity), as we may be surprised with the comparison of results.

I guess a reasonable question to ask the group is: how many rounds do you plan on firing in a short-term survival event (like a 3-4 week regionalized disaster)? Does this answer change your thoughts on what the best weapon type would be?

·
Banned
9,921 Posts
I guess a reasonable question to ask the group is: how many rounds do you plan on firing in a short-term survival event (like a 3-4 week regionalized disaster)? Does this answer change your thoughts on what the best weapon type would be?
See, I think this is a completely unreasonable question, nobody gets to 'plan' how many rounds you need to fire. You fire as many as you need to in order to solve the problem.

If it was up to me I would 'plan' to fire none.

But its not up to me.

I could make a prediction as to how many rounds I will need to fire in a short term regional disaster. My prediction is zero.

But it's just a guess.

I still want the maximum capability I can have in case I need it, and a shotgun is one of the least capable weapons in my armory.

The idea of prepping to what you 'plan' on needing is exactly what NORMAL people do. It's why they die when SHTF and their plan turns out to just be a list of things that didn't happen.

·
Wearing fur underwears...
3,116 Posts
If you practice for endless hours, and you are very good at manipulating your gun and ammo under stress, yes you can reload a shotgun with 8 more rounds, in around the same time a novice can reload a semi auto carbine with 20, 30, 40, more rounds.

If you have fired off 8 rounds, or for that matter 4 rounds, in a HD shotgun, and you need to reload in a fight, you likely have chosen the wrong gun for your task.

You guys are right... Loading a shotgun doesn't have to be slow! As long as you're proficient in hitting the mag release, and slapping a fresh one in. 😜 Have big mags not pictured.

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
🎶"I live back in the woods, you see
My woman and the kids, and the dogs, and me
I got a shotgun, a rifle, and a 4-wheel drive
And a country boy can survive
Country folks can survive"🎻

It'd be interesting. I kind of think there would be more of a die off, now when people can't go to the store. And depending a bit in where you live, there's places where people just wouldn't make it.

And on the other end of things, there's a bunch of good eating that most people wouldn't touch. At least in normal times. I don't really want to eat people's pets, but I know at least lynx and cougar are tasty. And just by law of averages, have probably eaten cat at a Chinese food place...

Have read that crow is good. We have some huge ravens here. But things would have to be pretty lean, to go from knocking off corvids to help game bird and ruminant population, to killing them to eat.

In the world wars, I guess a lot of rats got eaten. Have wondered a bit about how pigeon tastes. They grow pretty fat around cities, and farmland.

I'd probably end up using a lot more .22 pellets, .22 LR, and .22 Magnum, and likely some .22 Hornet to feed my family if food was scarce.
Pigeon isn't too bad they are kinda small yet larger than doves. There use to be (maybe still is) feral pigeon populations around here. They mostly hung around the silos and ate grain, so not overly gamey. Can't say what city pigeon tastes like...guess it depends on what they're eating. FWIW we made them into giblet gravy...LOL

·
Premium Member
5,066 Posts
I generally like shotguns most of all firearms I have owned with the possible exceotion of single action revolvers
I enjoyed OPs video
It would have been a better thread if OP just wanted to discuss shotguns

Since OP asked, completely legit to give opinions on what-ever firearm is best in each individual's opinion

I could be content with three 500 receivers and a bunch of barrels
I just want to be left alone
With Buck, Ball, and Slug I am good from zero to 200 yards
For snakes and small game shot is useful

That is all I really need.......but why not have options ???
Options are good

·
Swirl Herder
4,030 Posts
And sends 3.5 times as many 33 caliber projectiles down range.
Now......if you can just get all the bad guys to stand still, at exactly the right distance, you may be able to get most of those pellets on target......although, a bunch will land in arms and legs anyway.

I have killed a lot of stuff with shotguns.

But for everything I have killed with a shotgun, there have been many shots I didn't take because the distance was "too far".

I get that shotguns can be fast and versatile.....but I also get that if, during a gunfight, a bad guy appears with a rifle (or perhaps even a handgun) further away than a modest 50 yards, he will most likely kill you.

There are plenty of carbines (and brace stocked "handguns") that don't give anything away to the shotgun on speed and lethality, that will also range out to >200 yards if you have to.

Perhaps it is the difference between OK and better.

Better is the right choice for targets that shoot back.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Now......if you can just get all the bad guys to stand still, at exactly the right distance, you may be able to get most of those pellets on target......although, a bunch will land in arms and legs anyway.

I have killed a lot of stuff with shotguns.

But for everything I have killed with a shotgun, there have been many shots I didn't take because the distance was "too far".

I get that shotguns can be fast and versatile.....but I also get that if, during a gunfight, a bad guy appears with a rifle (or perhaps even a handgun) further away than a modest 50 yards, he will most likely kill you.

There are plenty of carbines (and brace stocked "handguns") that don't give anything away to the shotgun on speed and lethality, that will also range out to >200 yards if you have to.

Perhaps it is the difference between OK and better.

Better is the right choice for targets that shoot back.
I agree with you except for lethality, at CQB ranges, with a single, imprecisely placed round. In my experience, nothing guarantees a trip to the morgue, as much as a center mass hit with buckshot. Even if they're on the operating table in minutes, there's just too many bleeders.

Now if you're a professional face shooter, none of that applies.

·
Fenced In
3,401 Posts
I think there's a lot of ground to cover in what is a "survival situation" as it pertains to firearms. My shotguns would not be practical for bugging out or for patrolling outside of the home, but they would be effective standoff weapons if a "peaceful protestor" decided to accidentally stray from the road and onto my property. My wife and I are both inclined to reach for a handgun for home defense due to familiarity and navigating in close quarters, especially since we might be using one hand to carry or otherwise direct a small child. When I consider the most likely scenarios in which I need any sort of a long gun for defensive use, we would already be pretty far down the drain of societal collapse, but for my person environment, a shotgun or a carbine would be roughly equal for anything short of a Mad Max/Red Dawn world.

Once it is truly every man for himself and rule of law is a thing of the past, it becomes a carbine/rifle game plan for me and mine. Threats are less likely to be part of a mob, and more likely to be - for lack of a better term - part of a rival tribe. I'm honestly less worried about someone deliberately burning down my house with a Molotov cocktail in a post-apocalyptic existence, as they might actually want to loot my supplies. But if I'm out in the garden, anyone trying to take me out will be at least as well-equipped as I am (scoped rifle) and a shotgun isn't going to help me much.

·
Wearing fur underwears...
3,116 Posts
Guys, first off, I'm glad to see high levels of contribution to this thread.

Secondly, I think one of the critical components to finding/utilizing the best weapon in a survival situation is simply by trial and error (if you find yourself in such a situation). While I've grown to really appreciate the defense-style shotgun over the last year or so due to it's versatility, it's possible that a concealable revolver may turn out to be the best option. I think that we all need to continue to put various weapons thru their paces (when given an opportunity), as we may be surprised with the comparison of results.

Pretty tough to guess how many rounds. Short term, I hope I HAVE TO shoot zero. Also a little unclear on whether the shotgun is the only gun, and under what conditions are you planning?

Also wanted to add that the video presentation was better than I was expecting. I've been somewhat of a gun nut since I was 10 or 11, so no surprises, but the video is concise, slick and you are well spoken. I think you'd be very strong in marketing, sales, and public speaking.

Because I'm nit picky, I watched the video kind of hoping to see something fresh, as far as testing. Most of us are clued in with the close range capabilities. No surprise seeing the water fly, and thinking, boy if those were 5 tiny bad guys at 8 yards...😜 Was kind of waiting for some quality smooth bore testing, and seeing what you had worked up for stopping medium to heavy game, and some intermediate range work.

But well done overall.

·
Desperta Ferro!
1,489 Posts
Loved the video, great job.
You kept it tolerably short and brought up some great points.

Although others have brought up some good points both pro and con, let me point out one important factor.

An SG is a different tool for a different job, just as both a hammer and saw are needed for different tasks.

I would much prefer to have a .22, an SG, an AR, a 9mm pistol, a.308 or 30-.06, etc in my toolkit, rather than rely on any single weapon as the end-all, be-all.

For the OP, please try a .22 LR for squirrel or small game. Cheaper rounds, plentiful (once upon a time), less lead to dig out of the flesh, lower volume report, etc. make it an ideal choice.

81 - 100 of 217 Posts