Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined this forum a few days ago to learn about survival and preparedness. However, I think I made have made a mistake and am looking for clarification.

Most all the threads I have read cater to near impossible post-apocalyptic scenarios where the survivors are high-speed paramilitary citizens who can defeat anything that comes their way, including the government.

It's interesting to talk about and there's nothing wrong with it, but I was looking for something more realistic.

Am I in the wrong place?

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,317 Posts
I joined this forum a few days ago to learn about survival and preparedness. However, I think I made have made a mistake and am looking for clarification.

Most all the threads I have read cater to near impossible post-apocalyptic scenarios where the survivors are high-speed paramilitary citizens who can defeat anything that comes their way, including the government.

It's interesting to talk about and there's nothing wrong with it, but I was looking for something more realistic.

Am I in the wrong place?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts

Am I in the wrong place?
The bulk of what you see in the open forum is just that. Try specific forum headings and often you will fare better but not aways.

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Right website, but you're looking at the wrong threads.

Determine what it is that you want information on, and go to the right subforum for that subject. Or use the search function (clunky though it is) to see what others have said in the past. There's a lot of information already out there. Or open your own thread asking for advice. You'll have to willow out the trolls, and the warrior wannabes, and the Gunkid clones (you can search for Gunkid's story too, BTW; it's entertaining in a jaw dropping, "Are you SERIOUS??" sort of way), but aside from them, a lot of the posters here DO know what they're talking about.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
There's always going to be 'noise'

And let's face it, even if it's hopeless the type A personality is going to try their best vs giving up/giving in.

But there's a core group of people (to say nothing of skilled nonregular posters) that are doing, researching, or know a good stretch of knowledge.

I can get distracted/entertained by a good debate or gun talk right there with the best (worst?) Of them, but learning about things like Apple molasses.... makes it worth continuing to come back IMHO.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am also relatively new to the forum. I read some of the threads by the paranoid schizophrenic writers only for my own amusement. Unfortunately, freedom of speech/expression and the internet provides for spreading good ideas and bad. I do take solace that for every idiotic writer, there are a lot more people challenging the insanity and nonsense. I do take it as a learning experience, just to help my own understanding of garbage I never had been exposed to before.

There is a lot of good information for survival preparation, I just keep searching for what I am interested in and learning as I go.

·
Registered
11,673 Posts

Am I in the wrong place?
Yes, the forum is "serious". Try food and water to start.

·
The Power of the Glave
2,558 Posts
Internet forums are like mining for gold or diamonds. You have to sift through tons of worthless stuff to find the few nuggets or gems.

But that doesn't stop gold or diamond miners. You have to approach finding good survivalist advice on the Internet, with the same determined attitude.

·
Registered
7,191 Posts

Am I in the wrong place?
Umm, you obviously haven't looked in the correct forums and used the search function...

http://www.survivalistboards.com/

·
Banned
5,646 Posts
If you joined to get specific information about prepping it's on this website. Check out the various forums. If your can't find it you can start a thread asking for advice.

This website has something for everyone. Personally, I joined mostly for the firearms forums and the fact that this is a conservative website, albeit with a sprinkling of liberals/leftists. Occasionally I will look for or offer information on a prepping topic, but mostly I enjoy the debates/arguments/brawls in the political, general, and religious sections.:D:

This place has thousands of members and there is always something going on and alot of information to glean. It's a great place to kill a couple of hours in between cleaning cosmoline off of AK mags! :eek:

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
The idea of a Mad Max scene is mostly for the fun of talking about it.

This is where I came to talk about gear and about which fishing knife I needed: with my now-weak hands a pocket knife will no longer work and I wanted something specific. So I came here and I said "what knife am I describing?" and I got 2 pages of answers. Ditto battery lights for power failures. etc.

This is where I come to talk about pantrys, as unemployment is a very common "disaster". Besides, having a pantry saves me $20 per week.

This is where we discuss gardens, and fruit trees, and preserving the harvest.

As someone else said, you are on the right forum, but for some reason you are not reading the threads that you came here for!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Suggest you stay out of the Guns and Ammo sub-forum and go to the Man-made and Natural Disasters sub-forum and read some of the threads there on Hurricanes, Earthquakes, Forest Fires, Flooding, Tornados, nuke disasters, Societal Collapse (Venezuela, Russia, Bosnia, Argentina, etc.) and then come back and give us your answer if you joined the correct forum.

·
Registered
106 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. It's unfortunate that you've had such bad luck in your search for information so far.

There's a ton of information here as many of the others have written, it's just how to go about finding it. I would recommend using the search function specifically to whatever your interest is and you should have a much easier time sifting through things.

A lot of the posts you'll find in "General" are about the hypothetical situations that only fiction writers make any real money off of. However, I wouldn't be so quick to discount those as well as I personally have seen a number of worthwhile posts from folks that I would consider "experts" simply from the quality of their posts consistently.

Good luck and feel free to reach out if you need any help with your efforts. There are a number of us that are willing to assist.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Tell us what you are preparing for and what you see as your conceived worst case scenario. I guarantee some help will flow your way on this forum.

Something Like:

I am preparing to survive Artificial Intelligence (AI) replacing my job in the next 2-3 years. I am a typical faceless bureaucrat and generally protected, working in government and with the current political situation it looks like there may actually be a push to make jobs like mine efficient. Although being a superior performer there are some ex-coworkers that went on to a start-up I stay friendly with that told me this is coming.

I am a 45yo single mom, have two kids about to go to Berkeley and will be paying for that. Luckily it will be in state tuition. I am not concerned about security as I live in a nice neighborhood and have a cell phone for emergencies.

What do you suggest? How do I survive if the worst comes?

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,497 Posts
Tell us what you are preparing for and what you see as your conceived worst case scenario. I guarantee some help will flow your way on this forum.
And I'm the exact opposite. I strongly discourage "scenario prepping" unless it's for natural disasters common to a person's region. My reasoning is that it's easy to get caught up focusing on a particular scenario. Yet none of us know what will happen.

That is proven nonstop with the flood of idiotic predictions that constantly vomit forth from the survivalist community. No one has been right yet. Who are we to think we will be? It's just too easy to get blindsided by things we didn't expect when we're focused on something we "expect".

It's wiser to prepare for "whatever might happen" and keep our eyes and ears open to try and spot it as early as possible.

·
Longbowman
Yes
4,961 Posts

Am I in the wrong place?
Use the search feature, there is A LOT of great information here. And yes, there are post-apocalyptic threads, because it just simply wise to cover all of the bases. If you don't like those type of threads, then move along to one that you do.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts