Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently got one on a trade i dont know much about it , itsmy first AK can anyone tell me as much as they can about it btw my barrel is longer than a normal ak why is that ?

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
My opinion, the maadi is probably one of the best AK-47s on the market. From what was published about the rifle in the late 1990s, maadi is about as close to a real russian ak47 that you can get - because the company bought russian equipment to build the rifles.

I had a maadi, it was bought at a gun show in Lake Charles, Louisiana sometime around 1995 or 1996,,, somewhere in there. I took it on a bunch of camping trips, trips on the river, and submerged it in mud in below freezing temps as a torture test - and it still fired.

For some reason, after spending several minutes in the mud layer, under several inches of water, the rounds did not want to eject. I just worked the bolt by hand, but it fired just fine.

Man, I wish I would have taken pictures or still had the videos from all of that.

My ex-wife kept the rifle in the divorce. Not that she wanted the rifle, she did not want me to have it.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,585 Posts
My first AK was a Maadi. It's a very well built gun. I bought a milled Bulgarian shortly afterwards and the Maadi outshot it, so when the prices started going up, I sold the Bulgy for twice what I paid. I bought a SAR1 and a bunch of accessories with the profits.

The Maadis are some of the best AKs on the market. Too bad the supply dried up on them so fast.

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
I had one for a week, sold it only because I got a great offer right after I got it. It seemed as good as any other Ak. It had some interesting differences I'm not sure I should say. Seemed a lot closer to the real deal than a lot of stuff out there. I guess they were made "pre-shtf ready".

It gets overlooked a lot because there aren't many out there...

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
The orginals (pre-ban in 1982) were imported by Styer-Daimler-Puch of New Jersey and had the full auto bolt carriers in them. The fulll auto bolt + the 'made on russian equipment' made the Maadi a hot item in the late 80's. Watch out for fakes, as a small few of these made it in the US

Most out there are the Pars AKs out of Lousivile KY.

Century Arms also imported the Maadi and their builds are generally considered junk.

Maadi AKs are great rifles. I own a Pars and it functions perfectly and has so since I got it.

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
The orginals (pre-ban in 1982) were imported by Styer-Daimler-Puch of New Jersey and had the full auto bolt carriers in them. The fulll auto bolt + the 'made on russian equipment' made the Maadi a hot item in the late 80's. Watch out for fakes, as a small few of these made it in the US

Most out there are the Pars AKs out of Lousivile KY.

Century Arms also imported the Maadi and their builds are generally considered junk.

Maadi AKs are great rifles. I own a Pars and it functions perfectly and has so since I got it.

How do you like the German stock set?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
How do you like the German stock set?

PROS: Overall look and feel of the butt stock when shouldered.

CONS: I had to had work the butt stock for a perfect fit. The hand guard heats up under reasonably constant fire. The bakelite holds up but can get hot.

Wood or plastic w/heat guard would be a better solution but looks bad (imho)

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
PROS: Overall look and feel of the butt stock when shouldered.

CONS: I had to had work the butt stock for a perfect fit. The hand guard heats up under reasonably constant fire. The bakelite holds up but can get hot.

Wood or plastic w/heat guard would be a better solution but looks bad (imho)
You have to mod the buttstock on about every Ak to get a proper fit. Learned that the hard way, 10-12 buttstock replacements down the road I've yet to have a single one fit perfect as is.

Maybe you could create your own heatshield and put it into the bakelite lower? I would think a small plate of steel to absorb the heat would do. That's all the real 74 guards with shields seem to have, but it makes a huge difference.

·
Immortal
1,411 Posts
Took my first deer with a Maadi with the NY legal 5 rd mag back in the day but it is barely minute of deer at 150 yards. I much prefer the SKS.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Wow! I'm in the Minority here. The Maadis I've encountered have had crooked Front Sight Posts. I don't like Maadis.
I was a military advisor in Egypt and I looked at a lot of Maadi's along with other Egyptian built hardware. I agree with you...90% of what I saw was junk. I like my MAK-90 a lot better than the Maadi.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts