Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I have a buddy who has been known to go hunting in flip flops. Like, hike around the woods all day during Pennsylvania deer season hunting. And bags deer too lol
My daughter was visiting a few years ago (she grew up here). Her and one of her girls decided to take a hike. We were in a mountain area where there’s snow on the ground all year. Both wearing flip flops (husband was stationed in Georgia, so they wore flip flops 95% of the time). They came thru some trees and face to face with two elk. Daughter screamed, granddaughter screamed, elk screamed, both girls took off back to the truck, minus flip flops. When I was done laughing I went and retrieved their footwear for them.

·
I Seen A Sighting!
3,322 Posts
I don't do cold very well.

I spent time in Casper years ago, and I'll tell you it was cold like I'd never experienced. What's that old hotel near there called---Little America? An old, what used to be elegant upscale hotel, but at the time somewhat faded and shabby around the edges but still an incredible place to stay. And it was like -15F.

I thought I was going to die. And I was bundled and swaddled and padded. No no no.

I can't imagine wearing shorts and summer clothes when it's cold. I see them here in the winter, wearing coats with the hoods up---and flip flops. What the hell, are their feet numb???

I hate flip flops. Especially men in flip flops. I don't even own a pair. Well, no, that's not true. I have one old pair I wear at the beach on the rare occasion I go. Because I'm too old to hot-foot it across the sand anymore.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
When I was a young man one of my first jobs was working at an ice cream factory. I worked in the "hardening dept" where the freshly made soft ice cream would be stored until it was hard. -60 in there.

After a year of that I would go ice fishing all day in just jeans and a sweat shirt. If it got above 0 I'd often strip down to a t shirt. 😏

I've struggled more with hot climates way more than the colder places I've lived.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
As for looking like a slob at the Wal Mart.....try being a trucker and seeing these guys out here.. One of my pet peaves.

Flip flops are bad enough but more and more I see guys that just disgust me. Lots of turd worlders driving trucks these days. To think truckers and trucking used to be respected.

Those days are done. Glad I'm retiring soon.

·
Registered
I don't know
155 Posts
Once the snow is more than 10 inches deep I have to come out on a snowmobile. So not only does cotton kill, but so does exposed skin. Different way of life, I guess.

·
EdgeCrusher
1,100 Posts
NE PA here...Ive been known to wear shorts until the snow falls. But its usually accompanied with a hoodie

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Really? Does it get cold where you’re at? This time of year, I get fully dressed even if I just have to run out to the truck to get something.
Most people have no clue what what happen to them if they ran off the road in such conditions. They would freeze to death before anyone noticed they were there. I used to wear shorts in the snowy weather too and I would say it was partly being young and not thinking and partly being dumb. Now that I’m almost 40, I like someone said on here a minute ago, get dressed to walk out to my vehicle.

·
Happy to be here!
5,017 Posts
Most people in the 90’s and earlier believed you should try to look your best when you go out. Remember when people wore suits to fly in planes? As more people want to be comfortable instead of actually looking decent the “goal post” of looking decent is sliding to the side of a slob. I think this will probably continue. People will show up in undies, some dirty, because they were to “comfortable” (read lazy) to be bothered to change.
A lot of dapper Dans don't understand that half of America actually has to work for a living, and that work entails getting dirty and then staying dirty all day. Then on their day off they get to work on there own houses and then help their neighbors and extended family out continuing the filthy, dirty theme 365 days a year except maybe Christmas and Thanksgiving. I have the opposite gut reaction you do. When I see someone dressed up all the time I think less of them unless I know they're a doctor or something. Most people who dress up to work in office buildings I find kind of worthless. Spend 45 minutes every morning trying to decide which fru- fru outfit and tap dancing shoes are the best match for their day that's chock full of chair sitting and running their pie hole lol. No offense.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
A lot of dapper Dans

A lot of dapper Dans don't understand that half of America actually has to work for a living, and that work entails getting dirty and then staying dirty all day. Then on their day off they get to work on there own houses and then help their neighbors and extended family out continuing the filthy, dirty theme 7 days, 365 days a year except maybe Christmas and Thanksgiving. I have the opposite gut reaction you do. When I see someone dressed up all the time I think less of them unless I know they're a doctor or something. Most people who dress up to work in office buildings I find kind of worthless. Spend 45 minutes every morning trying to decide which fruit through outfit and tap dancing shoes are the best match for their day that's chock full of chair sitting and running their pie hole lol. No offense.
Dressed to go out to the store is not a suit and dress. It’s common clothes. Shorts, jeans, t-shirt, etc. I am tired of people wearing worn out baggy sleepware, unwashed, uncombed hair, and slippers and this this is acceptable to wear to a store. I’ve even seen it on a plane.

I am also one of those who work with their hands for a living and when I’m not working I’m taking care of my or my parents house/property. Could you imagine having an employee come to work dress like they just came out of bed? Working with logs, chainsaws, heavy equipment and PTO driven equipment it could literally get them killed. I would send the fool home.

·
Happy to be here!
5,017 Posts
Okay, so it sounds like we both don't like the same kind of clothing look. The look that screams I'm a worthless slug. All I can add is that a lot of times working people are totally freaking exhausted on their time off and just don't give a crap about impressing anybody else when they go to the store.

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
35,571 Posts
Went to Walmart. Again. To buy more food, because some of you are starting to make me nervous.

33 degrees, high wind warning. Means the wind is blowing 35, 40, 50 miles an hour. Didn’t look up the windchill for that, but it made my face burn. I bet I saw 20 people walking in or out, dressed in tee shirts and shorts. Walking as fast as they could go, slipping on patches of ice, all hunched over, hands jammed in their pockets. Why would people leave their dwelling in conditions like these, dressed like that? What if something went wrong? They look like imbeciles, and just not as impressive as they must believe.
Contestants for the next Darwin Award.

• Haha
Reactions: American ME!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Okay, so it sounds like we both don't like the same kind of clothing look. The look that screams I'm a worthless slug. All I can add is that a lot of times working people are totally freaking exhausted on their time off and just don't give a crap about impressing anybody else when they go to the store.
I get that. That should be the rare case though and not the norm. My 75 year old mom bathes, dresses, does hair and makeup to move and stack wood, pull weeds in the garden, and mow the pasture. Just different from gen z era.

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
35,571 Posts
As a prepper and survivalist, I have a winter coat in my truck when it's 90° outside. I spent some time around Glacier National Park (Forest?) many years ago. On a hot, June day, I signed up for a raft ride scheduled for the next day. Wanted to experience some #4 rapids. Got up the next morning. It was cool but not cold. I figured it would warm up later as the day progressed. A few minutes into the ride, clouds appeared over the mountains. It began to get windy. And all of a sudden, the temperature dropped to very cold (don't remember the exact temp). With the water splashing on me and that cold wind ... I became miserable in a big hurry. NOT FUN!

By the time we reached the destination point, I was literally shivering (as were many others). I went into the gift shop and bought the thickest sweatshirt I could find. Lesson learned!!

Reactions: Cornly2

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I wear a wife beater and shorts until Halloween I do carry all kinds of cloths in the truck .
it was 50o yesterday and I was dying I get hot easy .
in April the shorts come back out for the season .
But I’m supper cool 😎

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Jeez, I never wear shorts, unless I go swimming. Once every five years. I think there’s one pair, rolled up in the top of my closet. Long loose pants, long sleeve button shirt, 8 inch boots. My legs are about the same color as mozzarella cheese.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
8,045 Posts
Ski Berchtesgaden in jeans and T-shirt BTDT. The sunburn was a bitch.

Walk out of the store on post with fatigue sleeves rolled up, eating a Nutty Buddy, in a blizzard. That too.
(Why they always got the Ice cream shipments in the winter is anyone's guess.)

Now if it gets down to the 50s the coat goes on.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
The first winter I lived in California from Michigan it was around freezing and I was in a fleece, T-shirt and jeans. We had friends who also lived in the area that were from Michigan and who worked at yahoo and Facebook. They told me the high ups (ceo, cfo etc) we’re coming in to work with full snow suits, pack boots, heavy mittens and thick hats. The locals were amazed that I wasn’t cold in 40* and sunny weather in January wearing a sweatshirt.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
For every oddly dressed person you see wandering around...there is a story.
Whether what you see makes you laugh or scratch your head, you should at least try to enjoy the pageantry.
Just a reminder these people will still be around after the SHTF....

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I very rarely ever wear shorts in public, but I am the person who don't wear anything long sleeved until around the low 40 to high 30 mark. But that being said if I know it will be more than a quick go in and grab, or really windy then I take a hoodie. Some people just take colder temps different than others.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts