Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Walmart. Again. To buy more food, because some of you are starting to make me nervous.

33 degrees, high wind warning. Means the wind is blowing 35, 40, 50 miles an hour. Didn’t look up the windchill for that, but it made my face burn. I bet I saw 20 people walking in or out, dressed in tee shirts and shorts. Walking as fast as they could go, slipping on patches of ice, all hunched over, hands jammed in their pockets. Why would people leave their dwelling in conditions like these, dressed like that? What if something went wrong? They look like imbeciles, and just not as impressive as they must believe.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
10,682 Posts
Went to Walmart. Again. To buy more food, because some of you are starting to make me nervous.

33 degrees, high wind warning. Means the wind is blowing 35, 40, 50 miles an hour. Didn’t look up the windchill for that, but it made my face burn. I bet I saw 20 people walking in or out, dressed in tee shirts and shorts. Walking as fast as they could go, slipping on patches of ice, all hunched over, hands jammed in their pockets. Why would people leave their dwelling in conditions like these, dressed like that? What if something went wrong? They look like imbeciles, and just not as impressive as they must believe.
Morons-jmo

·
Registered
351 Posts
funny thing is, younger folks I would bet. There is a reality us really older folks remember from the stone ages when flats could happen anywhere at anytime. The progress in tires has been amazing that two generations have no idea how to change a tire now :) just saying

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Most people in the 90’s and earlier believed you should try to look your best when you go out. Remember when people wore suits to fly in planes? As more people want to be comfortable instead of actually looking decent the “goal post” of looking decent is sliding to the side of a slob. I think this will probably continue. People will show up in undies, some dirty, because they were to “comfortable” (read lazy) to be bothered to change.

·
1,166 Posts
Really? Does it get cold where you’re at? This time of year, I get fully dressed even if I just have to run out to the truck to get something.
I’ve been known to go to the store in a T-shirt and shorts when it is snowing outside. Mostly just because that’s what I have on when I’m working in my shop and the heater is on. I’ve also been known to have to strap on crampons and hike to the store when we are snowed in and nothing can get through to where I live but the stores are still open

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,077 Posts
Young people can endure all kinds of cold weather older people may struggle with. I went to school in the northern midwest with a guy who wore shorts 24/7--even when it was below zero outside.

Older people's metabolisms slow down and thus they don't generate the BTUs a younger person does--so for that younger person, it really isn't "as cold" as it is for older ones.

It also can do with a person's size and weight distribution. Skinny people are like radiators, while those of us who are huskier don't have the same surface area to mass ratio.

Are some idiots who are out in weather like that? Probably. But for some, it's likely just a brisk weather event.

·
Indefatigable
21,548 Posts
Murphy's law - Run out of the house looking like garbage and you WILL run into people you don't want to see you like that. It takes just as long to put on jeans, boots and a shirt as it does sweats, a tank top and flip flops. This of course, said by a woman who met her husband at a gas station covered from head to toe in construction debris and paint.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I get the meaning of the post, I truly do. But just because I know first hand Graves Disease makes folks always burning up. and with all the wonderful progress we've made in health more people than ever seem to have thyroid issues of one type or another. Just saying. but if I was a gambling man, I'd say most are just ignorant fools pressing their luck.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Shorts and tee/long sleeve shirt all year round.
My wife has pictures of me blowing snow in a sub zero snow storm, Wearing shorts, shoes sweatshirt, and hat/thin gloves (because it was cold out). I didn’t feel like changing after work, I just wanted to get it done with. Done it a few times.
Now (46) the old boiler doesn’t heat as well as it used to, I still only wear shorts and long sleeve shirt to work, but on the farm I wear fleece lined pants and sweet shirt/jacket.
There are people that have known me for 15-20 plus years that have never seen me wear pants.
I do have boots, coveralls in truck in case of emergencies. And yes it gets cold in MN.

(I’m less reckless now a days)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’ve been known to go to the store in a T-shirt and shorts when it is snowing outside. Mostly just because that’s what I have on when I’m working in my shop and the heater is on. I’ve also been known to have to strap on crampons and hike to the store when we are snowed in and nothing can get through to where I live but the stores are still open
Krap, not me. If we’re snowed in and we don’t have something, we’re not getting any until the roads are open. But we don’t have medicine issues or anything like that.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts