Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Its been a problem in California for about 2 1/2 decades we are just the next domino in the row, the others will fall and we will cut our nose off to spite our face in order to "feel better" in our the Environment and the fight for Global Warming even if what we are doing hurts more than it helps.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,681 Posts
They lost me in the very first paragraph....

Even as Texas struggled to restore electricity and water over the past week, signs of the risks posed by increasingly extreme weather to America’s aging infrastructure were cropping up across the country.
This isn't the first time Texas has been hit with cold weather. It is however the first since we shuttled coal and natural gas power plants in lieu of wind generators

Just another gloom and doom story about climate change from the Yankee Times

·
Purposeful Prepper
1,683 Posts
In my view the ice storm in Texas was a good chance to test your preps and find out what you can do better. Something sometime is going to happen and it will be worse than this.

I have long believed that a two week event is MUCH more likely than some massive SHTF/ collapse of society. Before you prep for some EOTWAYKI event make sure you are ready for an involuntary two week vacation.

In the Wall Street Journal a year ago some were talking an an authoritative way that the China virus would kill between 8 and 9 million in one year. So far it has claimed about 500,000 and that might be high. These people were off by a factor of 16 or more.

Keep 2 weeks of drinking water bottled in your home and be prepared to purify more. Keep 6 weeks of food in your house. Keep medicines and medical supplies available. Then enjoy your life and don't worry so much.

Best of luck to all.

·
Padre in the woods
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They lost me in the very first paragraph....
This isn't the first time Texas has been hit with cold weather. It is however the first since we shuttled coal and natural gas power plants in lieu of wind generators
That kind of had me pondering too, albeit, I think the cycles are more damning than taking the catalytic converter off my truck. (ie: fossil fuels and global warming). Personally, I think our grid, and our public comms dependability are highly overrated.

Still, there is a lesson to be learned from bot those affected, and those getting through the mess in Texas.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,681 Posts
In my view the ice storm in Texas was a good chance to test your preps and find out what you can do better. Something sometime is going to happen and it will be worse than this.
I used my hurricane preps.....

Gasoline, propane, generator, food, water

The same ones whining would have had the same issues had we been hit with one!

We had a major freeze about 3-4 years ago, it got down to 19 degrees, this one we got to 16 degrees just we never lost power, we weren't dependent on the wind generators

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
The article is filled with serpurfolies and aspects of leftist clap trap.

But there is a serious point to be had.
The infrastructure is in fact dilapidated. Roads though resurfaced have not been wholly maintained for nearly 50 years. There is a real danger that the infrastructure will start to fail when strained.

With that in mind, forget about trying to change the problem rather work to prepare for it! You cannot stop it.

Thats WHY we are learning survival and prepping.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The California papers have been whining about the government failing to provide food, shelter and heat for the people in Texas. I suggested that it is not the governments job to feed and house people. We live in the foothills, it gets cold and the power goes out. We are prepared and it is just a minor inconvenience. The responses were that I was a jerk and the people of Texas need help as they are not used to the cold. What about the people in Oklahoma? Kansas? If this is a predecessor to things to come, California is in a world of hurt. Of course cleansing the hive may not be a bad thing

·
3,124 Posts
I've lived in E Texas sixty years (1961) and have seen many things, this storm wasn't anything I haven't seen here before. Back when I was a kid it wasn't unusual to see -0* temps for several days and some snow several times a year. In 1972 my mother sold our house and bought a trailer house, I remember several each winter having to dig up the water line buried about six inches underground to thaw it with a torch. I remember in 1983 calling of work one day because I went out to go to work one morning and the snow was up on the bumper of my 82 TransAm (later measured at 14"). What happened wasn't a result of unprecedented weather.

·
Registered
136 Posts

I have long believed that a two week event is MUCH more likely than some massive SHTF/ collapse of society. Before you prep for some EOTWAYKI event make sure you are ready for an involuntary two week vacation.

In the Wall Street Journal a year ago some were talking an an authoritative way that the China virus would kill between 8 and 9 million in one year. So far it has claimed about 500,000 and that might be high. These people were off by a factor of 16 or more.

Keep 2 weeks of drinking water bottled in your home and be prepared to purify more. Keep 6 weeks of food in your house. Keep medicines and medical supplies available. Then enjoy your life and don't worry so much.

Best of luck to all.
I wrote a similar post elsewhere on here.

I am focusing on having about 3-4 weeks of water, maybe two months of food, water purifying tables/lifestraw, firearms, working car, camping gear, physical fitness. I've basically reached all these goals, except I'd like a more powerful rifle than my 10/22. While I wouldn't mind having 6 months-1 year of preparations, my means aren't there yet, and frankly I question centering one's entire life, career choices, and location on prepping like some preppers seem to that are serious about it. There are people who have been prepping for 2-3 decades while others were enjoying their lives.

The only exception to this I could see is if one is relatively wealthy and it wouldn't be hard to drop enough money to buy a second home with land/farm, preps for long-term such as storable food, similar with water, etc. I mean hell, if someone has lots of money, why not. But for those of us who it would take great sacrifice to get to that level, one should question what else they will be giving up to totally shift their whole life to meet these goals?

But also, if there is a large scale, longer term catastrophe, from extreme natural disaster to global or civil war, many if not most of these long-term preppers would be screwed too.

·
Retired curmudgeon
18,685 Posts
I submit coal was abandoned much too quickly. Unrealistic expectations.
It's still there for when all the rest of the pie-in-the-sky greenie crap fails. All it's going to take is for multiple millions of people to be shivering in the dark before they realize that the PTB have been lying to them and undermining their access to dependable energy.

Fact: You will need a 100% backup (fossil fuel or otherwise) of your green windmills, solar panels for WHEN not if they fail. As demonstrated in Texas.

·
Super Moderator
1,836 Posts
It's still there for when all the rest of the pie-in-the-sky greenie crap fails. All it's going to take is for multiple millions of people to be shivering in the dark before they realize that the PTB have been lying to them and undermining their access to dependable energy.

Fact: You will need a 100% backup (fossil fuel or otherwise) of your green windmills, solar panels for WHEN not if they fail. As demonstrated in Texas.
But have you noticed, when they shut down a coal fired generating plant, they immediately tear it down. Know why? Because when you get fed up with rolling blackouts, brownouts, and power disruptions and go screaming to the Gov, You can pay for them to build brand new powerhouses with all the "clean coal" modifications that cost too much to add on to the old plants.

·
Tinfoil Hat Connoisseur
41 Posts
My impression is that Texas is a uniquely poorly run state. The grid failed because they simply won’t put the money into things that they should. They had to shut down one reactor at the nuclear plant outside Houston since the coolant intake from the lake froze up.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It's not a sign of things to come, it's a reminder of what always is/was. Katrina, Puerto Rico, Texas... Don't know why people think the government will save them when there are numerous current real world examples which prove that you are in charge of your own security (financial, food, physical, etc). Help likely isn't coming, prepare to self rescue.

·
Padre in the woods
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My impression is that Texas is a uniquely poorly run state........
I'm not sure if "poorly run" is entirely fair. From some levels, maybe. But I also think that their politicians, and to some extent a large portion of population, is complacent.

It's sort of like the people here in western Ohio a decade ago when we were all bitching to the cities and municipalities that all the dead trees hanging over the power lines would cause problems. The city laughed at us, and nobody reacted to the news reports of our efforts. Then came the ice storm. Most of 7 counties out of power. Cable & phone out for 2-3 weeks. Everyone was in a panic, because .... ice took down all the dead trees onto the power, cable, and phone lines and took down the infrastructure.

Average person doesn't care of preemptive maintenance, or preparation. They bitch when they lose what they expect to have.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts