Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having an interesting conversation with a friend the other night about technology, I was prompted to consider the subject a little further. My friend was commenting on how he no longer pays attention to where he is going because he relies on his GPS. He then began to talk about how his son is unable to do what he called "mental math", that is, adding, subtracting, multiplication in his head since he has always depended on a calculator to do this work for him. Once we started talking about it, all sorts of examples came to mind. For instance, we no longer have to pay attention to spelling or punctuation when we write, as almost everything is "spell checked" nowadays. Then with Google, we don't really need to "know" anything as we almost always have access to unlimited amounts of information about practically anything. Don't get me wrong, I love and use technology as much as anyone. The question is, now that some of the more "menial" mental tasks are completed automatically for us, how are we using our brains/minds? Are we putting mental effort into more important things? Like what, for example? The other edge to this sword is that with increasingly advanced technology, it takes less time and effort to complete most tasks. Certainly this is good in terms of producing things faster and more efficiently but bad in terms of employment, or should I say unemployment? As just a small example, consider the time and number of people it would take to design and manufacture a machine part now compared to 50 years ago. What might have taken days to finish in a machine shop can now be done in a matter of hours by a couple of people with the right equipment. I'm sure this has been discussed before and is obvious to many people, but I feel that it is an important discussion. Modern technology has made it easier for us to freely exchange ideas and information (eg Survivalistboards) but doesn't it also play a role in our current social and economic problems? Please share your thoughts.

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
I always figured that so long as you have learned and mastered the skills by hand (land nav with a map and compass for instance), then adding the high tech is a nice feature, but you can still do the job 'low-tech' in a tight place. However, we aren't teaching the old ways any longer. I feel that this is a definite disservice to our young.

·
Not on our watch
694 Posts
I love the new technologies too, but I tend to see, as a whole, them making us lazier. A great example is the apparent short attention spans seen in children these days.

Soon, we will see more and more people becoming more antisocial in the person to person sense.

Damnfangled machines!

·
With all due respect....
1,837 Posts
I always figured that so long as you have learned and mastered the skills by hand (land nav with a map and compass for instance), then adding the high tech is a nice feature, but you can still do the job 'low-tech' in a tight place. However, we aren't teaching the old ways any longer. I feel that this is a definite disservice to our young.
I agree, when I was in the Army, at first I learned how to do land nav, but then we got so use to the BFT and the DAGR that I completely forgot by the time I got out...:(

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
Dad taught us boys to survey with an old Keuffel & Esser theodolite. I was about 12, and the kid was 9. We learned to use that one, and do the math, which made trig and plane geometry very easy for us in high school.... We still have that old transit, and we still use it when we need to precisely locate something. GPS is nice for rough work, but the old transit is good to about an inch over a couple hundred yards.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
When I was a kid, I was a book worm. But no matter how many books I tried to borrow, I never could get all the info I wanted. The Internet has sure changed that.

I don't mind hands on stuff, after all, technology is just for end users. There are still people who need to provide the tech stuff. It doesn't come from nowhere. It just means fewer people need to put real effort in. For most people, it doesn't matter. They would never excel at anything anyway. It doesn't matter if they can do math in their heads.

I don't think technology is making people dumber, or lazier. I bet there were a lot of talk like this for every time saving or effort saving device out there. If we diss them all, we need to dig and plow by hand, grind spelt with a rock and so on. Who decides where the line should be drawn? Most people say, it should basically be like it was when they were kids. I see a problem with this reasoning since it's just about familiarity and unwillingness to change, or a nostalgic idea everything was better in the past.

Sure, technology has changed me. I think it changes people in different ways. It sure hasn't dumbed me down, but I lost a lot of practice in focusing, since information on demand means you can fragment that info any way you like, you never have to get "bored".

Up sides and down sides. I'm not going to judge what is better and worse. We have what we have and we choose how we use it.

·
Weed 'em and reap
30,796 Posts
The OP assumes that both stupidity and laziness are BAD, and that they are both the EFFECT.

Stupidity is bad, and it is, partly, the effect of the technology that spares people the pain of thinking, reasoning, and even simple arithmetic and common sense.

But Laziness can be a virtue, and it can be the cause that pushes innovation. There are two kinds of lazy: sloth and efficiency. I am proud to be lazy. I prefer innovative and well-designed systems for my ease. This is what drives my efforts. It is the cause, not the effect, and it is a good thing.

But I do see where the OP is coming from.

·
tempus fugit
702 Posts
It's de-evolution of our species. As technology improves, the people who use it lose more of the skills required to survive. I admit to a certain laziness, but some things should never be lost. Like reading a map. Where I live cell phones don't work so when family visits they can't use them. GPS works but can't find our house so people who have been here before still get lost.

Car commercial I saw recently--"I love my hybrid. I fill up so little I forget how to put gas in it."--paraphrasing a bit but you get the idea. How can you forget how to put gas in your car? NY also has the highest % of population without drivers licences. I'll stop now before I go on a rant.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Yes, you have an entire generation that cannot think for itself now and must consult google, facebutt, and their contact list for every decision.

Technology is making people borderline retarded and pacifies the sheep.

·
Jihaadi GoBOOM
5,365 Posts

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
When you intentionally misspell words so to ensure that "word check" can properly identify the word and correct the spelling, then yes, I think technology has made us dumber!

·
Registered
951 Posts
New breed of human. My dad said the same thing about folks unable to math but he can't set his vcr or digital clock

1 - 20 of 23 Posts