Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Trying to Live Free
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For long term, up to 5 years?

Any other advice on long term water storage?

I recently bought the WaterBrick bulk of 10: 3.5 gallons x 10= 35 gallons that are stackable, and also managable.

Any advice on water storage is much appreciated.

Thank You,

God Bless America:thumb:

·
Registered
2,141 Posts

I recently bought the WaterBrick bulk of 10: 3.5 gallons x 10= 35 gallons that are stackable, and also managable.

Thank You,

get several different water filters. ASAP. drive a well.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
you going to want to rotate your water storage, tap or not. I dont have near enough time to go through it all...do some research. I rotate my potable water every 6 months and use an oxy. additive.

·
Military MOM
4,766 Posts
I would filter it first. Although, I don't drink tap water anyway. I have a 465' well and tested regularly. Everything is fine and it is in a natural spring. I still filter it with my Britta pitcher before I put it in long term storage.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,937 Posts
Yes, you're ok to store tap water. Many recommend you rotate it from time to time. You can enhance it's storability by treating with unscented bleach, a few drops per brick would be about right. That would reinforce the chlorination by your water plant.

And all that stuff about driving a well and don't store in plastic? Not everybody has that kind of less helpful advice.

·
Armed Border Collie
5,901 Posts
I store in plastic containers with dates and notes attached. I also add a few drops of bleach (I was told it was a drop or two per gallon). I rotate every year, I can't tell you why-I just do. I use the old in the yard and refill and treat the containers. I also have filters in case we need them. I collect rain water, but only use it for the garden for now.

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
Oh Yea, I DO store in plastic. What am I suppose to store in if not plastic. Any ideas?
I have a really long row to hoe with this project and I cannot necessarily recommend it, as I have the time and space for this where others might not:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=230164

It's time consuming and the water is quite heavy stored in glass. Very long term storage is my goal... as I have no idea when it will be used. My tap water is fine as far as chemical contaminations go, but it's a small rural water system, so I wanted to make certain that no life is bottled along with the water.

I also have 5 and 6 gallon carboys that I'm going to fill. That's still a fairly small amount of stored water.

I <heart> glass. :)

In looking at what we and our friends buy, consume and throw away I figured that this is my self fulfilling green moment. That's quality glass! Used one time and discarded! The beer bottles are not screw cap. I have a capper to reseal them.

Plastic is fine if it's one of the finer food grades, but I'd be sure to empty and refill them fairly often if I were using plastic.

Aside of storing water another angle to to possess a method of cleaning water. There are many threads on water filters here. Some are pretty expensive.

I'm thinking of buying some of these .02 micron ceramic filters:

http://www.everylifewaterfilters.com/Basic_Filter_Kit_p/0005.htm

Main page: http://www.everylifewaterfilters.com/

Water is water. If you have a mud puddle you only need the ability to separate the water from the solids and the biologics (typhus, etc.)

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
You're ahead of me then, Marcie.

I figure that the bottling will be an ongoing process. I like to do it while I'm online here.

I also have plans, but no movement as of yet, on making a large gravity fed water filter out of PVC pipe. It's going to use a slow sand filter, a long trip through PVC with varying sizes of rock and gravel and an activated charcoal filter at the end. However, after the devastating drought that we had here last year I can see a problem... the creeks and stock pond on my place where I would gather water were empty for a long time. :( Still, for the heck of it I think that I'm going to build it.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
To point you in the right direction; there are containers that are made to hold water for long periods of time. In general you will want to keep it out of the sun and treat it. My wife is a chemist for our local water department so I Kind of have a step up on this...I'm still trying to get her to get on here and right an article about water storage and address some of the popular myths about water.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,165 Posts
To point you in the right direction; there are containers that are made to hold water for long periods of time. In general you will want to keep it out of the sun and treat it. My wife is a chemist for our local water department so I Kind of have a step up on this...I'm still trying to get her to get on here and right an article about water storage and address some of the popular myths about water.
I hope you can get her to do that. Stephpd works in water treatment and has also written some excellent articles on it. I'm hoping we can get a bunch of this information stickied someday.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
My tap water has so much bleach in it that I do believe my esophagus is burnt white.
They better not be using bleach...If you think there is an issue then you need to call them up and have them run some tests. If you get no responce then all your states health and environment department. Get your pipes inspected as well. Often times there are issues with your pipes that cause the chlorine in the water to be activated. Also, a simple carbon pitcher filter will filter out the chlorine taste.

Something that A LOT of people don’t realize is that there is tons of pollution in the world today-pollution that a hand filter will not remove. You NEED to research the water quality in your AO's and find out what they have to do to your water. For example; there are only a handful of areas that are safe to take water from in my area due to all the ground water pollution.

Ok, back on track. I’m gonna wait until I can talk to her before I give you false info.

MikeK- She wants to, we are both just very busy.

·
Trust ***, Prep To Serve
253 Posts

Thank You,

Freeman,

Read up on how to sanitize used 2 liter pop bottles and simply stock tap water in them. Store in a cool/dark place. Don't stock directly on top of concrete as certain chemicals can leech in, just set them on word, carpet or cardboard. You can rotate if you wish but if you add a drop or bleach every few years that should be just fine. Remember, water doesn't "go bad" in and of itself.

·
TEXAS!!!
7,261 Posts
Oh Yea, I DO store in plastic. What am I suppose to store in if not plastic. Any ideas?
I have the blue, 55 gal, food grade barrels I got from a beverage plant. After cleaning, I filled them with tap water and 1/16th/cup of bleach. It only smells VERY slightly of bleach (just a hint) and tastes fine. I'm going to leave one barrel full for a year and have the water tested.

·
TEXAS!!!
7,261 Posts
Freeman,

Read up on how to sanitize used 2 liter pop bottles and simply stock tap water in them. Store in a cool/dark place. Don't stock directly on top of concrete as certain chemicals can leech in, just set them on word, carpet or cardboard. You can rotate if you wish but if you add a drop or bleach every few years that should be just fine. Remember, water doesn't "go bad" in and of itself.
If you drink seltzer water or Club soda, just rinse out the bottle, four drops of bleach, fill and cap tightly. :) The problem with 2 liter bottles is if you don't have a rack, they take up alot of floor space. You can stack them upright if you have something to put between the layers, but still cant go very high with them. For the record, I have probably 40, 2 liter bottles full of water on top of 2, 55 gal barrels and 3, 15 gal barrels. The two liter bottles are for cooking/drinking when they shut off the water. They're working on the water lines around here, so our water can go off for as long as 10 hours at a time with no warning.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
If you drink seltzer water or Club soda, just rinse out the bottle, four drops of bleach, fill and cap tightly. :) The problem with 2 liter bottles is if you don't have a rack, they take up alot of floor space. You can stack them upright if you have something to put between the layers, but still cant go very high with them. For the record, I have probably 40, 2 liter bottles full of water on top of 2, 55 gal barrels and 3, 15 gal barrels. The two liter bottles are for cooking/drinking when they shut off the water. They're working on the water lines around here, so our water can go off for as long as 10 hours at a time with no warning.
That type of plastic will also deteriorate over time and leach chemicals into the water. Bleach is not safe to use in some container...because of this I strongly suggest that you stick to the containers made to hold water.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts