Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was maybe thinking about driving down to South America from Colorado. How safe is it down there? I'm a white girl with 2 big dogs. My mom might come with me as well. What's it like down there?

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Check out some travel forums. Have you travelled much? Kind of important to know what your experience is. South America is a place (like many others)were people WILL try to take advantage of you. Have you looked into crossing borders with dogs?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Check out some travel forums. Have you travelled much? Kind of important to know what your experience is. South America is a place (like many others)were people WILL try to take advantage of you. Have you looked into crossing borders with dogs?
Fine.....( IF ) you speak spanish and it helps if you have dark hair too.

Try to blend in as much as possible, don't pack the tourist look while traveling.

Have your vet update all your dogs shots & have the papers with you at all times

good luck to you, Farm Boy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope

I havn't looked into it at all actually.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,685 Posts
I was maybe thinking about driving down to South America from Colorado. How safe is it down there? I'm a white girl with 2 big dogs. My mom might come with me as well. What's it like down there?
If you can get past the shoot outs in the Mexican border towns and the corrupt to the core police, I'd say then you have a 50/50 chance of making it back.

·
Wilderness Survivor
109 Posts
Beware of a few things..

You should know that the world (including America) is different for women as opposed to a man... that is not chauvinistic, that is just the way it is. I am talking about your safety which is your concern in this post. Travelling alone for a woman (or even two) and especially in that part of the world is very high risk even for American men, (just research some news articles of the past)... not to mention world travel for Americans in general. Consider the recent history of countries down there in regards to women and you should come up with a good idea of the dangers that you'll face. That is not saying that you shouldn't go, nor undermining your capapilities to defend yourself. I think it would be wise to be prudent though in this day and age for anybody. Oh, did I mention the possibility of terrorist attacks?

I am not sure about getting your dogs through at least two borders but that may be difficult in itself what with quarantine laws that may be in existance not to mention the disposition of an errant and arrogant border guard in a far away land.

If you are dead set on going down there though, I would do a lot of research, keep up on current events happening in that part of the world. Consider going with a few more companions, the more the merrier (and safer) especially if they are male companions. Never let your guard down and always watch your back.

Finally, if that is your picture on your profile, You obviously need to be wary of you know what for which I am sure you are aware.

Just being concerned for a fellow survivalist.. and not trying to be foolhardy. :D:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, the question here is, which part of south america would you like to go?
For example countries like Chile and Argentina don't have high violence rates, other ones depend much on tourism for a living, like Ecuador or some cities in Peru.
Mexico's border is indeed violent but it ain't like they are gonna look for you and shoot you... Indeed many people will try to take advantage of you, but I bet if you plan ahead a good route, and investigate about the situation and facitilites to the tourists of the countries you'd like to visit you could have an splendid trip!
Remember that many countries, specially in south america depend on tourism, and that the situation in some zones doesn't reflect the overall security of the country, I would, on the other hand, take a closer look on central american countries and those such as Colombia and Venezuela (no blaming intended), but as the situation in there is highly unstable they should be avoided or aproached carefully at least!
I would gladly answer any of your questions regarding this thread, cheers!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would not advise going down there... if you were just flying into a safer city( well safe for south america) then maybe.... but you will most likely be going through some pretty shabby towns and getting gas, food, etc... there are reasons why even mexicans are trying to get out of mexico. Being two females didnt help in your case. There are a lot of really bad guys out there.... A lot of really good ones, but I'd hope you wouldn't find your way to the other.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Depends on what type of SHTF deal goes on. The route via car would be unsafe probably, even in non-SHTF situations. Just hope you can see the collapse comin a few days before ... with the economy, you need to just pay attention. Then get all the kids out.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
plan would be to go via air... get air tickets, no matter how much $$$ and send wife and kids to a safe location overseas. This will have to be done before the airports shut down... and you need to really be able to predict this well. Assuming its an economic collapse, I'd suggest paying close attention to the news. Not what the news people say but what they don't say... if you hear about the dollar starting to slide or our creditors in China and Japan and elsewhere talking about absorbing the default (they might do this) ... I would move right away and make it my #1 priority to send them out.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Another thought

If dollar collapses, most if not all of the SA countries will slide into immediate recession. Civil unrest is not uncommon under even minimal economic duress in those countries

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
I had a gf who travelled mexico, costa rica and equador with 3 other blonde haired girls. They had air tickets to arrive, so not the same as you plan. The worst problem was apparantly guys incessantly hitting on them at every turn. Although most could take the hint, in one case some guys threw a stone through their bus window when they were leaving a town one morning. They reverted to not shaving, wearing makeup or washing their hair to be less appealing.

·
American fearmaker
14,248 Posts
Driving to South America? Ahhh.... If you are going to do that, you might want to check on some things like motor vehicle insurance. People from the United States frequently get tagged by local (Mexican) cops for not having insurance or even the right kind of insurance. So you need to check out insurance regulations for every nation to which you plan to pass. Would you also need to get an international car plate or not since you are going to pass through so many nations? I don't think that this will be as simple as driving across country in the U.S. if you do things in a proper fashion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You have to get through Mexico first. I worked in Mexico for a year (Reynosa) and we had to commute daily from McAllen Texas. We were told not to travel alone in Mexico. We would actually run stop signs when we saw people standing around.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
I looked at your profile. I predict you'll be a mommy within 10 months of crossing the border.:D:

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I am kind of 'amazonish proportions', am ex-military and I am an 'old girl' and the trip which that you are proposing would have me on constant "high alert".

The world can be a cruel and vicious place, especially to us, m'lady.

It would be academic anyway, for I would be 'armed to the teeth' and would never be allowed to pass through a border checkpoint.

I do not even wish to contemplate what would happen, should I have to actually use one of my weapons, whilst in a foreign country. :eek::eek:

·
Destroyer of Marxism.
875 Posts
I'd stay out of Colombia, and venezuela. FARC has been kidnaping people there, particularly Americans. Mexican border towns are almost as bad a Bagdad as well.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.