Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

There's an interesting theory that's starting to be more popularized which regards the belief in religion and the supernatural as a virus. Dr. Ray's new book: The God Virus: How Religion Infects or Lives and Culture has been well received in atheist circles and by the public at large. Dr. Richard Dawkins has an excellent video out that's worth a watch:
Of course all memes could be considered a "virus" if we're to use this analogy, however, nothing is so virulent, damaging, and "evil" (to quote Dawkins) as religion.

I use the "faith as virus" analogy quite often and I also wonder if supernatural beliefs systems may be related to a form of genetic mutation as there has been DNA evidence to suggest some people are more susceptible to it. However, this is arguable. What isn't arguable is that when you expose young children to the virus of religion they're more susceptible to contracting it without the proper "immune system" (ie. adult reasoning skills).

To my atheist friends, any thoughts on this? Does this help our interactions with the supernaturalists to treat them as though they're sick and suffering from a mental virus?

To the supernaturalists, what is your opinion of this paradigm?

·
Thanks
4,749 Posts
I think we should get a final solution started ASAP!
A virus that makes people evil. Is that like the rage virus on 28 days later?

·
Thanks
4,749 Posts
I watched the video.
Dawkings used very bias language, and is on the soapbox of "Oh, its for the children! The innocence of children! Won't someone please think of the children!?"

"The Root of all evil" He talks about...

The love of money is the root of all evil.

If you look around you, yes indeed it is. In religion, in politics, in feeding & watering the world, in climate change from deforestation, sweat shops, in science...Yep, pretty much the love of money is the root of all evil. I don't know why he chose to chop the quote and present it like he did unless he was trying to solely 'preach to the choir'.

There is nothing in that video that changed my mind. If I was not freedom loving in my 'atheist' years, I might even have got on his bandwagon.
I would have known his intent was not as he was showing, however.

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Well, just when you thought you seen it all,,,,,,,that has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard....next to the gay gene. So, I'll endulge you.....if it's a virus, there should be a vaccine....how soon do they expect it to be out?

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
"The Root of all evil" He talks about...

The love of money is the root of all evil.
Except there was evil before money was even thought of.

How can money be blamed for Cain slaying Abel? He didn't do it for money, he did it because God liked Abel's sacrificed sheep better than Cain's sacrificed vegetables. So therefore, evil was around, being committed for religious reasons, when there were only 4 people on the earth, well before money was even imagined.

Technically it happened even before that, when Adam and Eve disobeyed God, which is evil in itself. It's fitting that they ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, because money wasn't around, yet obviously evil could still exist, or else that damn tree wouldn't be there. 2 people on earth and evil existed. Clothes weren't even invented yet, much less money, and yet evil existed.

Therefore, the root of evil must be religion, not money.

·
Thanks
4,749 Posts
Except there was evil before money was even thought of.

How can money be blamed for Cain slaying Abel? He didn't do it for money, he did it because God liked Abel's sacrificed sheep better than Cain's sacrificed vegetables. So therefore, evil was around, being committed for religious reasons, when there were only 4 people on the earth, well before money was even imagined.

Technically it happened even before that, when Adam and Eve disobeyed God, which is evil in itself. It's fitting that they ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, because money wasn't around, yet obviously evil could still exist, or else that damn tree wouldn't be there. 2 people on earth and evil existed. Clothes weren't even invented yet and evil existed.

Therefore, the root of evil must be religion.
So the story goes. You will have to ask someone who has faith in the literal story completely to get an answer of what a Christian would think.

I follow Christ, but well you all know my view point.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Anybody like "The Matrix"? :cool: This movie is full of religious symbolism. With that in mind, consider Agent Smith's rant, except realize that with a very small amount of rewording, he could be referring to a religion, and make a similar point:

I'd like to share a revelation that I’ve had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species, and I realised that humans are not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment; but you humans do not. Instead you multiply, and multiply, until every resource is consumed. The only way for you to survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern...

a virus.

·
Gott Mit Uns
2,855 Posts
Corndog, I looked at your profile. Do you have any reason othre than threads about religion for being here. It is your right, however this is all your threads are about. You seem to have little interest in survival or preparedness. Seems that other forums might gain more from your "knowledge". I do feel that the more people here the better. As everybody will bring something to the table, I guess it is the sceptic in me, (as I am sure most of us tend to lean towards) that ? your reasons for being here. I could be way off base, feel free to correct me. You sound educated and well read so I am hoping you can do this and clarify for me. Thanks in advance for your time jkc (AKA Kevin)

·
Registered
3,022 Posts

There's an interesting theory that's starting to be more popularized which regards the belief in religion and the supernatural as a virus. Dr. Ray's new book: The God Virus: How Religion Infects or Lives and Culture has been well received in atheist circles and by the public at large. Dr. Richard Dawkins has an excellent video out that's worth a watch: Root of all Evil -- The Virus of Faith Of course all memes could be considered a "virus" if we're to use this analogy, however, nothing is so virulent, damaging, and "evil" (to quote Dawkins) as religion.

I use the "faith as virus" analogy quite often and I also wonder if supernatural beliefs systems may be related to a form of genetic mutation as there has been DNA evidence to suggest some people are more susceptible to it. However, this is arguable. What isn't arguable is that when you expose young children to the virus of religion they're more susceptible to contracting it without the proper "immune system" (ie. adult reasoning skills).

To my atheist friends, any thoughts on this? Does this help our interactions with the supernaturalists to treat them as though they're sick and suffering from a mental virus?

To the supernaturalists, what is your opinion of this paradigm?
A virus seems unlikely. Assuming evolution is true, then belief in god serves some purpose, such as giving people meaning, who might otherwise go insane when faced with the knowledge of their inevitable death.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Corndog, I looked at your profile. Do you have any reason othre than threads about religion for being here. It is your right, however this is all your threads are about. You seem to have little interest in survival or preparedness.
I'm in the shotgun forum all the time, multiple times a day, but rarely does anybody have anything interesting to say other than to find out who has the bigger weiner - Mr. Mossberg or Mr. Remington. :rolleyes: I read the shotgun, farming, camping, hunting, and general preparedness forums and have posted multiple times in each.

I'm sorry, but yeah you got me - I have little interest in all the right wing nutjob anti-Obama "the S is about to HTF and I'm skeered I'll have to kill 300 people with my 10,000 rounds of stored ammo" posts. :thumb: Which, isn't necessarily being "a survivalist", just "paranoid".

Hey, no, actually I did post in the nuke section about EMP's, does that make me more likable? ;)

No, I know what will make me more likeable - the fact that I have the official U.S. Army Survival Manual sitting on the back of my toilet for daily reading on the throne. ;) LOL

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
How do you know what was in the his heart?
Genesis
4:3 And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.
4:4 And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:
4:5 But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.

·
Gott Mit Uns
2,855 Posts
I'm in the shotgun forum all the time, multiple times a day, but rarely does anybody have anything interesting to say other than to find out who has the bigger weiner - Mr. Mossberg or Mr. Remington. :rolleyes: I read the shotgun, farming, camping, hunting, and general preparedness forums and have posted multiple times in each.

I'm sorry, but yeah you got me - I have little interest in all the right wing nutjob anti-Obama "the S is about to HTF and I'm skeered I'll have to kill 300 people with my 10,000 rounds of stored ammo" posts. :thumb: Which, isn't necessarily being "a survivalist", just "paranoid".

Hey, no, actually I did post in the nuke section about EMP's, does that make me more likable? ;)
Not at all, however there are multiple other subjects to post threads on. Or is everything survival related make you a right wing nut ball. The EMP thread is a valid point. Your main contribution is on the bashing side of religion. While you use anylitical thought in your arguments which puts you ahead of many people, my inital query has still not been resolved. Would your efforts not be more fruitfull on a site dedicated to your interest. You might view multiple sites? It just seems strange to put so much energy into a narrow focuse. More power to you, I just tend to put people with a profile like yours into a certain catagory of individuals. I will admit this is wrong, it does seem to happen a lot here (you know how those right wing nut balls are) or however you classified them. Glass houses u know.:D:

·
Believe in Yourself
4,495 Posts
Corndog, I looked at your profile. Do you have any reason othre than threads about religion for being here. It is your right, however this is all your threads are about. You seem to have little interest in survival or preparedness. Seems that other forums might gain more from your "knowledge". I do feel that the more people here the better. As everybody will bring something to the table, I guess it is the sceptic in me, (as I am sure most of us tend to lean towards) that ? your reasons for being here. I could be way off base, feel free to correct me. You sound educated and well read so I am hoping you can do this and clarify for me. Thanks in advance for your time jkc (AKA Kevin)
You know for some people, the only aspect of survival that is important to them is their faith.
Too bad people get such an attitude when their faith is challenged or questioned.

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Genesis
4:3 And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.
4:4 And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:
4:5 But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.
Ok so he became very angry and **** his pants, so, then he turned from God, called on Satan and killed his brother....case closed.The Devil made him do it.:)

936 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not at all, however there are multiple other subjects to post threads on. Or is everything survival related make you a right wing nut ball. The EMP thread is a valid point. Your main contribution is on the bashing side of religion. While you use anylitical thought in your arguments which puts you ahead of many people, my inital query has still not been resolved. Would your efforts not be more fruitfull on a site dedicated to your interest. You might view multiple sites? It just seems strange to put so much energy into a narrow focuse. More power to you, I just tend to put people with a profile like yours into a certain catagory of individuals. I will admit this is wrong, it does seem to happen a lot here (you know how those right wing nut balls are) or however you classified them. Glass houses u know.:D:
Way I figure it, if you find a Chinese restaurant that makes good tacos there ain't nothing wrong in indulging. Don't matter where you're gettin as long as your gettin gets got, if you catch my drift. If this corndog feller likes chopping about religion here or anywhere else, what business is it of yours?

I find it more strange that you would start rooting around in his business like a coon in a garbage can. What's up with that?

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Or is everything survival related make you a right wing nut ball.
No, you know exactly what I'm saying. I've made plenty of preparations this year, about $5,000 worth, and even consider myself right wing and conservative, so I consider myself part of the survivalist crowd, but I still don't subscribe to the paranoid scene where I type "SHTF" every 5 minutes. That excludes me from alot of the conversations here. Also, unlike many others, I recognize that I just started out, so I really don't do much except read when it comes to stuff that I really have no clue about and have no interest in except for doing what's necessary to live through something.

Yes, a small amount of subjects related to survivalism I have alot of experience on, and can offer insight, and I'll comment on those if something interesting comes up, but they are few.

While you use anylitical thought in your arguments which puts you ahead of many people, my inital query has still not been resolved.
Quite honestly, that's just it in a nutshell... I enjoy analytical thought. For the most part, when dealing with other smart people who does their research such as Ohioman, the religious section is where this is most used. Unfortunately, some over-zealous people get offended way too easily so some of the threads I get involved with turn into big stinking turds due to bickering. Hopefully this thread isn't heading in that direction. ;)

Tell you what... I consider Ohioman to be the most religious, best Christian on this board. If Ohioman wants me to shut up, I'll shut up. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts