Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
CHANGE Is Inevitable...
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very curious to see what the overall consensus in this forum is when it comes to regular physical training as part of your "prepping" efforts.

I've seen numerous so called "preppers" who have great food and water stores, a stockpile of firearms and ammunition, all of the fanciest perimeter security setups, and even underground bunkers...who ultimately couldn't walk more than a couple miles much less sprint any distance to flee or attack if needed.

What are your thoughts on the importance of regular physical training as part of your overall preparedness plan? Is it something that is a high priority or does it get pushed aside in order to do other things that don't require as much real work and commitment?

In my mind, being a true survivalist means that you are committed to doing everything necessary to survive in any situation. That being said, the one thing that comes with you in every possible scenario is YOU...so isn't making sure that you are in a peak physical condition one of the most important preps you could be doing?

I look forward to hearing your responses and getting a better idea of what things you are each doing regularly to keep your body resilient and prepared.

:thumb:

·
Registered
984 Posts
You're not actually asking if we think physical fitness is important per your title, but you've already decided it is and wonder what everyone else is doing?

·
Fenced In
3,265 Posts
A couple years ago, I went on a hiking trip with my brother that left me realizing how out of shape I was. Not so much from an endurance or fitness perspective, but rather a lack of awareness of the effects old injuries (knees in this case) had on me. I spent the months that followed on exercise bikes, treadmills and elliptical machines whenever I could, and my next hiking trip went MUCH better.

My usual workout routine is only 45-55 minutes, 3-5 days a week depending on other obligations, using a Hoist "multifunction device" (for lack of a better word) for weights and rowing, a treadmill (reading while walking/jogging for 30 minutes) for cardio and to work my knees, pullups and then random pushups at home. It's not enough to see visible improvements, but I can definitely feel it.

·
This space for rent
305 Posts
I try to train a diversity of survival skills each week - running, jumping, climbing, lifting, pulling, pushing, carrying, etc. I think about potential survival scenarios i might find myself in, and try to simulate them. For example, i picked up a bench at my gym that i loaded with plates, and i walked around the room with it, to simulate carrying a person in my arms. Each workout is different, but most exercises are done standing & unsupported. I'm lacking in hand-to-hand combat training, and i need to do more endurance cardio for stamina.

·
Texan
1,756 Posts
I used to run for an hour every day, but now I have a full time job and I am a full time student so time is pretty scarce. I go camping and fishing every chance I get, I wanted to go hunting when it cools down but I will be moving soon so I have no idea what will happen. I have a really high metabolism so I don't have the overweight problem, but I need to do cardio more. I haven't been out of breath or unable to do anything I normally do.

Once things settle down for me and I get the time I do need to workout on a regular basis, not only for SHTF but for life in general. A fit person is a happier person.

I do need to make major changes to my diet as well I used to only eat red meat bread, potatoes, beans, onions, pasta, and eggs. Now that I have less time so its pretty much straight peanut butter and bread. No greens or real variety. I could fit in vitamins, fiber pills, and probiotics for now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For the last ten years I have been training in and around outdoor environments. Workouts that consist of elevations at 7000 feet above sea level will absolutely challenge the mental and physical.

Strength is the foundation to survival in my opinion. I agree that you can have all the survival tools, bunker, food storage, etc you want, but if you can't do a pull-up you're in trouble.

Hear's some questions I ask myself that may help you anyone.

Can you hunt?

Do you have the ability to maneuver in and around land formations?

Can you do simple body-weight movements?

Strength will allow for an increased efficiency of all activity. With global strength change you have the opportunity to make life easier as opposed to being out of shape and unable to move during survival. Critical!

·
Disappointed Idealist
191 Posts
I focus on bodyweight exercises. Pull ups, push ups, leg lifts, lunges, squats, burpees. Three sets of each to failure. I don't have lots of time during the week. So it's Saturday, Sunday, and Wednesday.

Massive weightlifters are not in survival shape. Endurance is far more important than brute strength. The calories needed to maintain a guy with a bodybuilding physique are just not going to be available. He will quickly weaken, while the "skinny" folks march on.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Don't ask me how many push-ups or sit-ups I can do or how much can I bench-press because I don't "workout" at all anymore. And, I probably never will again - if I could help it :)

However, my part-time job requires me to be on my feet 4-5 hours per day, 5 days a week, manually moving and loading ~1,000+ packages, weighing up to 150 lbs, into delivery vehicles.

Sadly, even though I'm a member of the "over 40" group, I'm in much better shape than many people half my age.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
That was partly a joke as in I plan to train but never get around to it :)
Actually I have in the past.
lets see if this will work
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4bObZ9MVsgNemx3UXRwS1lhQms/edit?usp=sharing
I uploaded my tracking sheet to Google drive and shared it.
Lets see if the summary will paste
Code:
Year	Biking	Hiking	Total Miles
2014	2.6	2.3	4.9
2013	17.4		17.4
2012	17.3	2.5	19.8
2011	27.1	4.4	31.5
2010	93.9		93.9
2009	164.0		164.0
2008	3.9		3.9
Total 	326.2	9.2	335.4
My wife and son have both had health issues this year so we haven't gotten to do much. Also since Ohio no longer has spring or fall it goes straight from too cold to too hot to do anything as well.

I have two spreadsheets, one for outdoor exercise and one indoor, thats the outdoor summary. I have a handheld GPS that I turn on and let log so I can record the stats afterward.

·
Ελευθερί&#
1,183 Posts
Hit the gym 5 times a week and then run 3 days a week. I don't do it specifically for shtf, however I believe it is smart to be in shape for every day situations and in a rare case I need to join the military for an actual war.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Exercise is my primary prep. I do have some stores of stuff. Way more than I can pack out. But, I don't have a huge supply and don't think I'll need that much. But, at age 51 I can go hard from sun up till sun down. I can pull myself over walls, run, crawl, and walk all day. I know a couple of guys who are close to my age who have spent huge money on preps and have zero physical agility. They are grossly overweight. I'm not being critical but, they eat way too much and way too fast. They know it and I know it and we have talked about it. I eat like a horse I think but, in comparison I'm a light weight.

When the SHTF the first thing that will happen is intense stress. The BP will jump up and the heart will be going hard. For someone in decent condition this will be a non-issue. For someone who has not maintained decent health this could be the end of the game. I have personally seen it happen more than once.

I'm sure that diet and exercise must go hand in hand. You don't have to live like a vegan or work out like an Olympian to stay fit. But, if your health is bad now today is the time to start. Eat a complex diet that limits overly processed foods. Eat slow. If your are normally a big eater eat small meals throughout the day. If you must eat a huge meal then skip the other two that day. Don't buy sugar foods. Leave them on the shelf at the grocery store.

The Paleo diet is on the right track but, research shows that it's off course a little. What the most recent research shows is that not all early humans ate the same diet of meats and veggies. What they ate was what they could find which also included things like tubers, nuts, plantains, along with the hit or miss meats they were able to hunt and veggies when in season. Living on lots of meat and low carbs is still debatable in the long term health.

If you look at old very healthy people they all have one thing in common, they just don't ever pig out. Or, if they do it's only one day a year, like Thanksgiving and, they hate themselves for that. What I have learned is that healthy eating lives or dies at the grocery store. What I buy I will eat. What I don't buy I can't eat. It's as simple as that. The only place that discipline is required is in the isles of the local grocery store.

Working out is just get moving. Anaerobic is the way to go I think.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'll admit that this is an area of prepping in which I am less than diligent. This summer's humidity has been a killer for me and my asthmatic lungs and I've spent waaaay too much time on the couch in air conditioned comfort. I won't deny that it probably wouldn't have been quite so hard if I were in better shape. Thanks for the much needed prod, op. I think I need to start spending more quality time with my treadmill again.

Reactions: AlwaysBeResilient

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks to physical exercises I can go much further than usual and without getting thursty, feel more comfortable during the way and avoid many injuies. I do barbell squats three times a week and once a week running uphill - three miles is enough.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I work out as often as I can which isn't as easy because of my full time job. Beside good physical conditions I also think exercise is good for ones brain and inner balance. I'm always calm and have a clear mind after working out even when my everyday at this moment is very stressful.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts