Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have traded firearms for years but damn this dude may have me giving it up. I offered a Century CETME with 4 magazines for 600. Described it in good condition with scratches here and there. Also stated I took it on trade and had shot one magazine without any problem.

Guy shows up I let him look at it all he wanted to but he was like in a big hurry to get out of there. He had said he had a heart attack a month ago so maybe he is still unnerved. I knew mine freaked me for a while. He had on mask but I and my wife did not. Didn't crowd him or act anything but the cool hand dude I am.

I did show him that getting a good magazine lock up was a little tricky because of the weird button style but it does lock up.

Said he knew all about CETME and has a PTR91. Cool. Anyway he paid me and went off with the rifle and magazines.

30 minutes later I get this text exchange.

HE: Are you sure that you fired this rifle? To be honest with you in the condition that it’s in I’m afraid to shoot it

ME: I shot it one mag. If u r unhappy bring it back. No prob.

HE: Can you honestly feel good about selling this rifle to somebody?
You said there are a few scratches I mean my God a few scratches is just a lie you didn’t tell me that the muzzle break someone took a pliers to it and ground off all the threads my God
Yeah I’m on my way back

ME: Ok see ya

HE: You seem like a nice guy and maybe you’re honest I don’t know you but selling a rifle like this is criminal

3 min away

Anyway he gets there and didn't act too crazy because maybe he picked up I was not happy and might throw his ass down my stairs. I don't think anybody has ever questioned my honesty or character before. I gave him his money back and took my stuff and just said Take care. Rather proud of myself.

He showed me a weld on the cocking tube he claimed was dangerous.

Any way I am showing a couple of pictures of the welds he railed about on the cocking tube. It is a century build so I am not sure if the welds are just ugly or the tube had a repair. Maybe ugly sure but I can't see how they could be considered unsafe since it is just the tube the cocking tube slides in. Does that with no problem.

Okay looked at my other CETME and it does not have the weld closer to the muzzle so definitely seems the cocking tube has been welded and repaired. Also the weld toward the receiver is a lot nicer.

Anyway just asking if this ass hat might have a valid point.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Well you handled that in a very mature way. I have had to send money back to two people because something was wrong with the gun we both missed (bad sight and missing a firing pin). Personally he should of noticed the scratches right away. Everyone wants a surplus gun in perfect shape when soldiers and importers tossed them around like cordwood.

As for the weld yes it is ugly and even uglier than my century cetme but I dont see a real issue with it. Pic of mine attached

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
He should have noticed that weld the first time. I'm not even sure why that weld is there, the one closer back to the receiver is normal, but that chunky weld looks like a later fix or something. There's no paint around it. If the cocking tube gap(unlocks easy) and bolt gap are good, bolt head hasn't been ground, the gun should fire fine. That weld is fugly though and looks like the cocking tube was repaired at a later time.

His fault for not inspecting it before he left. I always at the very least check the bolt head and bolt gap on roller locking guns.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,904 Posts
Dealt enough with people on eBay and Gun Broker to know people are straight up nuts, and especially anymore.

Its this kind of silly crap that makes me glad I figured out a long time ago, that selling things on consignment is the best way to go. Let the dealer deal with the nut jobs.

Paying the 10-15% consignment fee is nothing compared to the aggravation you often have to deal with, and I usually still make out better than I would doing a private sale too.

More people pass through the shop and see the gun, and since the dealer has got an interest in it, usually trys to get as much as he can for it. The more I get, the more he gets, and he does all the work. Win-win all around for me. :thumb: :)

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealt enough with people on eBay and Gun Broker to know people are straight up nuts, and especially anymore.

Its this kind of silly crap that makes me glad I figured out a long time ago, that selling things on consignment is the best way to go. Let the dealer deal with the nut jobs.

Paying the 10-15% consignment fee is nothing compared to the aggravation you often have to deal with, and I usually still make out better than I would doing a private sale too.

More people pass through the shop and see the gun, and since the dealer has got an interest in it, usually trys to get as much as he can for it. The more I get, the more he gets, and he does all the work. Win-win all around for me. :thumb: :)
That is a damn good idea and one I have done before. Completely slipped my mind. THANKS!!

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Monkey late Friday or early Monday Century build. IMO.

It is what it is, take it or leave it. Safety wise? As mentioned, bolt gap & such. Either it's good or it's not.

Oh, and no one comes to the house unless we KNOW them. Ever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts