Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Fenced In
3,441 Posts
In the grand scheme of things, it's easy to "make ready" even the cheapest rattle-trap of a gun if done right. One need look no further than the reports of some of the militants throughout Asia and Africa who are piecing together AK variants in huts and caves, and very much experiencing their SHTF-level crises on a daily basis. Life is often short and violent there, and the people wielding those weapons usually aren't cops or soldiers in the sense we're accustomed to.

My guess is that the vast majority of Westerners, be it Americans or otherwise, are not - and hopefully never will be - in a state of mind to be comfortable or even capable of living life in the way that people elsewhere do. I don't mean just in terms of combat, either. That's why I find it disgusting to see so many of our veterans, often those who were drafted rather than volunteered, reduced to homelessness and living in conditions worse than in the faraway places Uncle Sam sent them to fight.

So, yeah . . . making a gun ready is easy. Getting your mind right is a different story, and as much as I like to think that I could rise to the occasion if need be, if I'm being honest, I hope I never have to find out. Honestly, when folks set aside their fantasies and what-if scenarios, I think that most would prefer never to need their preps in the first place, and guns and ammo could provide a lifetime of enjoyment (and, for some, delicious meals) without ever being used for violence of any kind.

·
100% Texan
346 Posts
In the grand scheme of things, it's easy to "make ready" even the cheapest rattle-trap of a gun if done right. One need look no further than the reports of some of the militants throughout Asia and Africa who are piecing together AK variants in huts and caves, and very much experiencing their SHTF-level crises on a daily basis. Life is often short and violent there, and the people wielding those weapons usually aren't cops or soldiers in the sense we're accustomed to.

My guess is that the vast majority of Westerners, be it Americans or otherwise, are not - and hopefully never will be - in a state of mind to be comfortable or even capable of living life in the way that people elsewhere do. I don't mean just in terms of combat, either. That's why I find it disgusting to see so many of our veterans, often those who were drafted rather than volunteered, reduced to homelessness and living in conditions worse than in the faraway places Uncle Sam sent them to fight.

So, yeah . . . making a gun ready is easy. Getting your mind right is a different story, and as much as I like to think that I could rise to the occasion if need be, if I'm being honest, I hope I never have to find out. Honestly, when folks set aside their fantasies and what-if scenarios, I think that most would prefer never to need their preps in the first place, and guns and ammo could provide a lifetime of enjoyment (and, for some, delicious meals) without ever being used for violence of any kind.
Double Amen to that!

·
Hovercraft Pilot, Retired
2,012 Posts
The US has been in an active war since 9/11/2001, but the mindset of the country has not been on a war footing since WWII.
Civilians have not had to sacrifice much, or even think about preparing for hard times since the cold war ended.
The masses are under prepared.

·
What hell, pay attention
8,979 Posts
No, the real question is are you AND your firearm BOTH ready...
That is the real question, and it needs to answered realistically.

First and foremost, if you're not reasonably fit, what you have is pretty much meaningless. If you were "pressed", and had to grab and go what you have ready (if you do at all), on foot, right now, how far would you get? Can you even go 5 miles "off road" with nothing? Most of the people I work with couldnt, and we work physically outdoors 10-12 hours a day. Most of my inlaws, who are office workers, probably wouldnt make it out of the yard.

If youre not shooting what you have, regularly and realistically, youre also way behind the curve. Leisurely shooting bullseye targets from a bench proves nothing, and does nothing for you.

If youre Fat shooting is much more difficult than if youre in shape, and thats just the shooting part. Humping the gun and all its accessories just magnifies things exponentially.

You need to know what youre using, "intimately", so you know what to expect from it. That means not having to think (for even half a second) about how it works or shoots.

If you have multiple guns of different platforms, that means you have to be fluent in multiple languages, if you intend to be switching things up for perceived different needs (something you always hear). Are you practiced enough with "everything", to be able to pick it up and use it, without thought? Are you good enough with just one?

Keep in mind, its not what you did one time, on a good day, its what you can do, right now, on any given moment, "on demand" that you need to base youre fitness/shooting levels on. Same goes for anything else. That, is reality.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If youre Fat shooting is much more difficult than if youre in shape, and thats just the shooting part. Humping the gun and all its accessories just magnifies things exponentially.
theres so much negativity on this board towards people who are overweight... like they are helplessly incapable of surviving even the most mundane event.

Theres a lot more to surviving than being able to hump gear at a jogging pace for a mile, and i personally know a lot of "fat *****" (as you put it) i would be picking first over others on my SHTF kickball team.

·
Paratrooper X
3,547 Posts
Hey, reality sucks, but it is what it is.
I had a fat **** as you put it, for a 1SG way back when. Took like for ever him to run 2 miles. Put a ruck on his back tho and he put all us young bucks to shame.

I have also trained with a few Delta guys during my time in the Army and I can tell you that those guys come in all shapes and sizes. You would look at some of them and say there is NOWAY they are in Delta Force. Lesson learned? Never judge a book by its cover.

I understand where you're coming from, but some people will flat out surprise you

·
Registered
374 Posts
When it comes to firearms and or ammunition I can say without a doubt or reservation I am more ready than 90% of America. And probably more ready than 99% of Americans.

As for being more ready than many of you, probably not.

As to my overall philosophy about survival and being prepared - showing up and caring will get you half way there from the get go. And I understand if no one gets that abstract statement :)

As to making a presumption about someone's appearance. That is a mistake you will only (hopefully) make one time.

Regards,

Rob

·
Veteran 11BC2/EOD
2,021 Posts
"I understand where you're coming from, but some people will flat out surprise you"

Yeah and most who are a fat useless lump of .... on the outside pretty much fulfill all expectations of being as useless as they look.

Discipline is key to staying in shape just like taking care of everything else. And fat is a great indicator of a severe lack of discipline.

·
Registered
22,910 Posts
i suspect that SHTF is going to be more about "do i have the right skills" and "do i have the right equipment to fully use my skills" than "let's see if i can rappel up this cliff wall" or "let's see how quickly i can run through this tire-and-wall obstacle course"

even if you're in shape, i bet your wife isn't GI Jane and your kids can't climb a sheer cliff-face.

being in shape is good but the question is do you have the skills to take care of your family

Reactions: tomboyy

·
Paratrooper X
3,547 Posts
"I understand where you're coming from, but some people will flat out surprise you"

Yeah and most who are a fat useless lump of .... on the outside pretty much fulfill all expectations of being as useless as they look.

Discipline is key to staying in shape just like taking care of everything else. And fat is a great indicator of a severe lack of discipline.
I've had fat soldiers that were worthless true, but then have had skinny soldiers that were equally worthless

·
What hell, pay attention
8,979 Posts
Exactly.

being in shape is good but the question is do you have the skills to take care of your family
The idea is "both". You can have all the skills in the world, but if youre not in shape to take advantage of them, hows that helping?

I would think if youre really into prepping, you would take fitness into account.

I've had fat soldiers that were worthless true, but then have had skinny soldiers that were equally worthless
Worthless is worthless.

Are things that bad that the military back to taking/keeping anyone again? I knew a couple of people who were discharged because they couldnt control their weight and meet the cutoffs.

Reactions: PLA

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm overweight and have decided to do something about it. I can't do things that some people can, but I tell you one thing about being fat. You do come up with some ingenious ideas as how to make life easier.

Realistically though, is everybody here bugging out into the wastelands humping a pack for miles on in? I ask because there is a difference between being in shape to work all day everyday and shape to do what you are talking about. On a homestead I don't think it will matter too much one way or the other as long as they can work. Good thing is there is no better time to lose weight than when you are rationing food.

Any ways, back to the original post, I think the main thing to be ready for shtf is to have enough grit in the craw to take care of whatever is coming your way. Skills are an awesome thing to have, but things happen that you can't be prepared for. Being tough enough to take whatever is coming and live through it is going to be a big part of it.

·
Fenced In
3,441 Posts
Being tough enough to take whatever is coming and live through it is going to be a big part of it.
Woe to the folks (especially "millenials" and such) who spend their waking hours being offended, collecting "participant" awards and lamenting the lack of fairness in the world. Toughness seems to be in short supply these days, of both the physical and mental varieties.

·
Registered
22,910 Posts
Woe to the folks (especially "millenials" and such) who spend their waking hours being offended, collecting "participant" awards and lamenting the lack of fairness in the world. Toughness seems to be in short supply these days, of both the physical and mental varieties.
you hit the nail on the head on the "mental toughness" statement

mother nature doesn't give out participation awards

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.