Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that most of the wore out/broke rifles we have at work (I test ammo) are Marlin .22's. Are they generally a cheaper built rifle? They seem much cheaper built to me than a comparable Ruger or Remington, especially the extractors.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I don't know about the brand spankin new ones, but my 60ss has been through countless ammo with no problems.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
in a word, NO. They are comparable to most remingtons. The Rugers are probably the best made semiauto .22 rifles you will find. The Marlin .22s have been around a lot longer than the Rugers and almost as long as the remingtons, but because they tended to be less expensive they were given much more abuse. In the mid 70s a marlin model 60 could be bought brand new for under 50 bucks, if it was house branded, such as J C Pennys or Western Auto, it was around 40 bucks retail. And therewere more of them sold than the more expensive brands. as the designs were MUCH older than that even.

I would venture an educated guess that more people learned to shoot on Marlin .22s than all the rest put together.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have a very old marlin that my Grandfather gave me. That thing is an accurate as the day it was made and just as reliable. As for a newer models, I can't say.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I never cared for their tube fed semi autos.Too easy to lose the the plunger assembly.I like their older lever guns,even though they were tube fed.They hold their value.

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
I had one about 30 years ago, put THOUSANDS of round through it never a problem... Then it got stolen (Back when you could ride around with a gun rake in your back window and NOT be pulled over)

Now I have Ruger 10/22's and two Winchester 22's (One has only had less then 50 rounds through it, still looks like it just came out of the factory)

Oh and no more rack in the truck... (At least in the window)

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I had a couple of Marlin 22 rifles they were junk. I have a Marlin 35 Marauder it is a nice pice of quality work. I cant figure why Marlin would buy that cheep junk. I am sure it must be subed out it is crap. I just threw them away not worth trying to fix.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I had a couple of Marlin 22 rifles they were junk..

What models? When were they made? New? Used?

I had a brand new Model 60 that I bought maybe 8 years ago, it was very good and took a beating from many trips into the woods. It jammed a few times but that is probably due to feeding it massive quantities of bulk ammo. I traded it for a Steyr M95. :)

I wouldn't mind picking up another Model 60 in the future but right now I want to buy more mags for my 10/22.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts