Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
In new Canadian and U.S. research, scientists say compounds in the sweet Canadian staple could protect against diseases in the brain, particularly Alzheimer’s.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2583882/i...suggests-it-could-protect-against-alzheimers/
Yeah, probably because you die of diabetes before you get old enough to get senile. I worked in a sugar-woods in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont several years back in the early 70s - before the hippies ruined the state. I knew several senile old-timers that ingested a lot of maple products in their lifetimes and were senile to the max. Same later when I made syrup in NY with most other farmers did the same.

I know I nearly OD on maple sap every spring. We make our coffee with hot sap, we throw our eggs into the evaporator to cook them, etc. So, lets see how far my brain makes it. My mom got looney at age 86. So, let's wait 20 years and see if I do better (if I live that long).

·
Banned
1,938 Posts
No Way !

Vermont is known for being the US capitol for Maple Syrup. Its also known for being the most liberal, second to California where the country's fruit and nuts are grown.

So .... maple syrup can't be all that good for you. :rolleyes:

Now, having said the above, I realize this post will get flamed for all kinds of stuff including being politically incorrect. But hey ... I graduated from the Trump University having majored in political incorrectness.

Let the firing squad begin !

·
Registered
691 Posts
I purchased some bottles of walmart brand maple syrup. Over a few years I probably bought 10 bottles, I was purchasing them for long term storage. I opened one a few months ago, it was about 2 years old. It had started to ferment! I went to the pantry and looked at the rest and several of the oldest ones had something growing in them. These had never been opened. I threw about 1/2 away as you could see they were bad. I opened the rest and they smelled ok so I put them in the refrigerator.

·
King of Canada
4,421 Posts
We, the Canadians, already knew that Maple Syrup is brain food.

Why do you think we're so smart?

Maple Syrup isn't just brain food, it's soul food.

It's part of the Canadian life style.

Y'all ever try Maple Bacon Poutine? Probably not, but it's what we feed our kids and they grow strong on it. All the essential food groups; with essential vitamins and nutrients.

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
Just because it says Maple syrup doesn't mean it's pure. Most of the grocery store ones are just maple flavored. The real stuff is pricey. It also is graded. From light to dark with the light usually being more costly.

Me I just use the Vermont Maid grocery store on special 2 for $4

My palate ain't that refined. That's why I don't drink wine much.

·
Registered
6,481 Posts

Y'all ever try Maple Bacon Poutine? Probably not, but it's what we feed our kids and they grow strong on it. All the essential food groups; with essential vitamins and nutrients.
Yes! Everyone knows Hockey is a thinking man's game. Eh.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts

Canadian maple syrup - back when I was sugaring in Vermont in the 70s - often had formaldehyde in it from the "pills" stuck in the tap holes to keep them flowing longer. We used the pills too, but as I recall - the use carried on a bit longer in Quebec. Maybe it is that formaldehyde that is preserving Canadian brains.

As far as Canadians being smarter? I don't know. I'm trying to think of how many Canadian brand TVs, cars, computers, or tools I have around at my house in Michigan. Tell you the truth, I can't think of any other then a tube-type Canadian radio made for 50 Hertz power instead of 60 Hertz.

·
Registered
916 Posts

Said the person whose country still has the Queen on it.:D:

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
extracts of maple syrup from Canada showed neuroprotective effects, similar to resveratrol, a compound found in red wine,”
Not the syrup but the water extracted from the sap, I got a friend who has a diverse maple product business and they are selling the water that comes from the sap after the RO process.

·
Don't be dumb
7,232 Posts
Not the syrup but the water extracted from the sap, I got a friend who has a diverse maple product business and they are selling the water that comes from the sap after the RO process.
This I could see as true.

The sugar part, not so much. Unless you really like neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer's, MS, etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.