Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
Joined
·
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From this article

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2012/02/is-agriculture-sucking-fresh-wat.html?ref=hp

its estimated that agriculture consumes 92% of all fresh water used annually.
Think about that for a minute, 92% of all fresh water is used in food production. That only leaves 8% for other uses.

Every gas well that is fracked uses around 5 million gallons of water.

As the population continues to grow, our need for drinking water will continue to grow. How long until our need for drinking water conflicts with our need for food and water for industrial needs?
 

·
24 Year Combat Veterat
Joined
·
524 Posts
From this article

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2012/02/is-agriculture-sucking-fresh-wat.html?ref=hp



Think about that for a minute, 92% of all fresh water is used in food production. That only leaves 8% for other uses.

Every gas well that is fracked uses around 5 million gallons of water.

As the population continues to grow, our need for drinking water will continue to grow. How long until our need for drinking water conflicts with our need for food and water for industrial needs?

Unless we find an efficient way to filter and make salt-water drinkable, yes we are. More people mean more food, more water, more natural resources.

Water sustains life. Maybe we limit the number of children a family can have to 2?

Kidding, need lots of kids to run the farm post-SHTF.
 

·
6 Boys and 13 Hands
Joined
·
10,219 Posts
Some time in the mid 90's I read an article where some of the major corporations were buying up water companies and water systems manufacturing.

Here's a article that deals with it in a round about way.
Basically water is becoming big business.
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/154/a-sea-of-dollars.html

The conventional estimate is that around the world, water is a $400-billion-a-year business. That's four times the size of IBM's annual revenue, but that figure includes everything from digging up worn-out water pipes to building billion-dollar desalination plants. IBM says the smart-water market, the information-technology part of water, could be worth between $15 billion and $20 billion a year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,553 Posts
The last wars on Earth will be over water.

Out of the 32 conflicts in the middle east in the last 60 Years....30 have been over water.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bobbers

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,376 Posts
We have been talking about this for years. Right now there is talk about damming up the Mississippi River in the future to provide water to the US population. If you take Texas as an example there is only one natural lake in the State. Everything else is a man made lake.
Historians have projected for years that wars will be fought over water rather than oil.
 

·
.
Joined
·
10,548 Posts
Poor Mankind.

I bought my BOL because it is ontop of an Aquifer. I have three Wells, and a Hand Dug Stone Lined Well from back in the Days when they did'nt make them out of Concrete.
Poor Mankind.
I will never go without H2O. Before I bought this Place, I had to have the Water Tested to get my VA Loan Gaurantee. The State Water Tester included a Hand Written Note with my Analysis Results, saying that it was the Cleanest Water he has ever Analyzed.:thumb::thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,867 Posts
My BOL well taps into one of those most pristine water sources in FL and I am a mile as the crow flies from a spring head if I had to transport water.

I am not too worried about it. Also getting a metal roof put in on my house this spring to set up my water collection system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,956 Posts
We have been talking about this for years. Right now there is talk about damming up the Mississippi River in the future to provide water to the US population. If you take Texas as an example there is only one natural lake in the State. Everything else is a man made lake.
Historians have projected for years that wars will be fought over water rather than oil.
You're right too...but without oil no large quantities of water would be available for distribution.
 

·
Bravo Zulu
Joined
·
13,133 Posts
From this article

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2012/02/is-agriculture-sucking-fresh-wat.html?ref=hp



Think about that for a minute, 92% of all fresh water is used in food production. That only leaves 8% for other uses.

Every gas well that is fracked uses around 5 million gallons of water.

As the population continues to grow, our need for drinking water will continue to grow. How long until our need for drinking water conflicts with our need for food and water for industrial needs?
I've been saying for a long time that the world is overpopulated because of a shortage of our second most valuable resource.

Humans are roughly 70% water. If we go on an average weight of 50kg, that's 35 litres of water per human being. Do the sums, it starts to get scary after a while.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
391 Posts
Keep an eye on the US 4th Fleet

The U.S. added new official tasks to its so-called traditional mission of espionage, such as monitoring drug trafficking and combating underground immigration into the U.S., along with other secret tasks like countering Colombian insurgents, controlling the flow of minerals and oil, and managing resources such as fresh water and biodiversityhttp://watchingamerica.com/News/43123/venezuela-surrounded-by-u-s-military-bases
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
647 Posts
From this article

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2012/02/is-agriculture-sucking-fresh-wat.html?ref=hp



Think about that for a minute, 92% of all fresh water is used in food production. That only leaves 8% for other uses.

Every gas well that is fracked uses around 5 million gallons of water.

As the population continues to grow, our need for drinking water will continue to grow. How long until our need for drinking water conflicts with our need for food and water for industrial needs?
Ive been telling my son for years that he would live to see the day people would be hauled to jail for removing a cup of water from a lake or stream.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
Yes, there will be some shortages of water in certain parts of the world. Most shortages will be worsened by a government's reguation.
 

·
A Hoosier not a Hillbilly
Joined
·
3,016 Posts
uuummmm I thought the planet was a closed system, meaning the water is always here in one form or another. We cannot run out, we may need new methodes of cleaning or finding it but it will always be here.
Yes, it's a closed loop system but we're talking about fresh potable water not water in general. There are already many areas on earth that are in dire straits. When the glaciers melt in the himylayas(sp) s will hit the fan and splatter for thousands of miles. There are already water wars on the local level in this country. It's already happening.
 
1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Top