Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
LOST!!!!
227 Posts
I am a Civil Engineer and they should have calculations that a Civil or Structural Engineer did on the design. The calculations would tell you if they designed it to be buried or not. Just call them up and talk to them about it. If they designed it to be buried, then the calculations they did would say what is the maximum depth it can go. If it is designed to be buried, they would take a look if vehicles can drive over it or not as well.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
It is no bigger then the average septic. If you look in the yellow pages , you can find a much better deal on actual septic tanks, made much the same way. Way to small to spend any kind of time in, especially more then one person.

·
Is back.
548 Posts
It's buried that deep for a reason...thats where the door is and the vents are...now of course if you had some access to the door and extended the vents you could bury it. It is concrete designed to withstand extreme forces, so a couple inches of dirt won't hurt....I would also bet you could burry it level with your basement floor, with a tunnel from basement to the bunker...but all the earth on top might compromise it, and make SURE that it is watertight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why Not?

I see no reason this could not be buried deeper. That is provided you use common sense and design a that would move the vents higher and a secure and sturdy door way system

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the item is 2700 plus deliver between 100-200. My husband is a septic installer. We have backhoes & all euipment to do the work. I like the idea that the door is already installed. we would of course have to extend the venting system and build a tunnel for the door opening. We are only two of us there are no basements here at all. I am just thinking it would expediant to install I would like to put 3 feet of soil over the top instead of leaving it exposed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'd say no for 2 reasons, reason 1 is they put the top of the concrete just a few inches above ground level where a butyl sealer joins the brown colored top to the concrete box,go lower than that and you could have water seeping in..reason 2 would be that the door is close to ground level already.
I think you could make this work out though..you could build berm's around it,or you could dig a larger hole....maybe twice the width and length of the shelter and dig a hole in that one to place the shelter in...without seeing how strong the top is I would have a hard time saying burying it underground is safe.

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My idea is to build Skosuen walls paralel to the door and put 6" treated posts over the walls making a hallway/ tunnel for us to go through to get to the door. We could even put a barrier wall in the tunnel for ray diversion from the door. Then to cover over with visquine and mound over the entire structer with 3' coverage. It would not be in an area where driving would be an issue. We have access to heavy equipment and lots of sand/gravel we would have to buy the blocks or lumber we use for the walls and roof however by my calculations we could still get it done for less than 5K since we have the equpment. This would be about a 40 sq ft shelter I am just thinking it's not big enough to go to this much trouble for. Thanks for everyone's input back to the planning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts