Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get shooting and hunting catalogs a lot because its what I do. But I have noticed just about all of them have a survival section now. It's not just them but Costco, Sam's and other big box stores are carrying survival related items that they didn't carry a year ago. My question, is it just the capitalist trying to make a dollar off a growing market (us). Or are they finally finding out we are not so crazy after all and know something we have all known for years?

·
HOPE4BEST&PREP4WORST
493 Posts
It's gonna be the new cool! As demand for survival type products increase so will the supply as companys try to fill orders then market researchers will advise suppliers of the trend in consumer demand for such products. I predict that you will start to see a lot of longer shelf life food, canning supplies, camping supplies, grain mills, 5 Gallon food grade buckets, learn to hunt and fish classes, learn to cook from scratch, etc.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
are we trendy now?
no longer that gun nut down the block, but becoming (shudder) mainstream?

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,970 Posts
It's gonna be the new cool!
Oh great,.....now we gotta put up with YuppieSurvivalists too.:D:

I recently got my Midway fall catalog. It has 10 pages under the title of "Survival, Navigation and Comunication".

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't frequent those stores. What type of items are you noticing?
Costco carries 5 gallon buckets with 30 days of freeze dried food. Wally world is carrying hand crank radios and flashlights. Cabelas, Midway and others have many pages of survival equipment. It just seems to be everywhere you look now. Used to the only places you could get stuff was army surplus stores. Search Ebay, it's amazing.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
lord above- protect me from people that believe survivalism is the new Tai Bo.

Reactions: Highpower

·
Registered
604 Posts
After Katrina there was major sales of survival supplies. What your seeing now is the big companies trying to cash in on what use to be a very narrow market share of sales. Also in times were people have fears about the economy or the world, sales increase. Just look at what people bought in the 60s because of the fear of nuclear war and again at the huge survivalist movement during the economic hard times of the 70s. We now live in a world were people are being told by the media that terrorists are trying to get nuclear bombs to kill them with. If they survive that they are being told that they are looking at the second great depression. Gee wiz, I wonder what people are going to do. The big companies can see these trends also and they want to cash in.

This is a good thing. Remember your econ101. Greater demand = greater production = more competition = lower prices and increased availability. God bless the free market.

·
Registered
604 Posts
After Katrina there was major sales of survival supplies. What your seeing now is the big companies trying to cash in on what use to be a very narrow market share of sales. Also in times were people have fears about the economy or the world, sales increase. Just look at what people bought in the 60s because of the fear of nuclear war and again at the huge survivalist movement during the economic hard times of the 70s. We now live in a world were people are being told by the media that terrorists are trying to get nuclear bombs to kill them with. If they survive that they are being told that they are looking at the second great depression. Gee wiz, I wonder what people are going to do. The big companies can see these trends also and they want to cash in.

This is a good thing. Remember your econ101. Greater demand = greater production = more competition = lower prices and increased availability. God bless the free market.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Trust me folks, the people who run to Walmart at the last second to grab their 72 hour emergency kits will be the same folks who will give in to every demand the government orders them. They wouldn't last in a real survival situation.

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Yuppie Survivalists

Oh great,.....now we gotta put up with YuppieSurvivalists too.:D:

I recently got my Midway fall catalog. It has 10 pages under the title of "Survival, Navigation and Comunication".
****, I just googled 'yuppies survivalist' and got heaps of hits.
Check this http://men.style.com/details/features/landing?id=content_7476

This is truly Sick - although it might make a good thread in the Jokes section: "You might be a yuppie survivalist if......"

:D: hmmmmmm

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
****, I just googled 'yuppies survivalist' and got heaps of hits.
Check this http://men.style.com/details/features/landing?id=content_7476

This is truly Sick - although it might make a good thread in the Jokes section: "You might be a yuppie survivalist if......"

:D: hmmmmmm
Here's one of many lines that made me shake my head:

“But if a dirty bomb hit Dallas,” he continues, with the slightly misinformed hyperbole that preppers sometimes engage in, “every grocery store would be wiped out in an hour. That stuff can happen, and she doesn’t think it can.”

I added the bold to let you see what I was talking about...

·
Registered
774 Posts
are we trendy now?
no longer that gun nut down the block, but becoming (shudder) mainstream?
No. You're still the gun nut down the block. See, it's not the preparing for an emergency part that people think is crazy. It's the conspiracy theories that people think is crazy.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I wouldn't worry to much about it being the new cool. It'll pass y2k ring a bell everyone was prepping and as soon as the crisis had passed everyone went back to their lives it's still affects from Katrina. You don't see the mass affect you saw from y2k people quiting jobs and moving to their bug out retreat and such. The "new" economic crisis will pass and the sheeple will move back to normal life as the crisis pass and go back to the fast food joints and spending more then they make and we'll see another crisis and it'll swing again. I think the biggest mistake we every made was using credit for anything but buying a house and a car and I'm not to sure about a car.

·
Fashionably Prepared
78 Posts
It's gonna be the new cool!
Which means, for those of us who put a lot of thought into it, and make it our way of life, now we will have even more resources - a good thing.

For the people who latch onto it because it is cool and do it as half-assed as everything else in their life, without any research or practical assessment of their actual situation, strengths, weaknesses, etc, it will be of no use at all and they will eventually blame the government for not helping them prepare.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts