Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I have issues
2,507 Posts
Some will never learn until it is too late. There are those who see something on the news about a storm or whatever and have their eyes open, while others just really don't want to think about it. Kind of like if they don't think bad thoughts nothing will ever happen.
Tell who will listen and learn,,, pray for the rest.

·
Libertarian
2,750 Posts
Sounds to me like you've tried your best-good for you. If they don't see it,or just simply see things differently, so be it.:):xeye::sleep:

·
Threadkiller
1,881 Posts
She might be right, who knows? We arent supposed to be here now according to many back then. I really dont see why people dont think of prepping as food for retirement, and if anything else happens then fine.

Chicken little could be a good analogy also. I think something may happen but then its been that way for a long time now.

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
Stock a little extra for sis if she will be with you. We have fire insurance on our homes. The chance of your home burning is pretty slim, but if it does you are happy to have the insurance. Believe me you can multiply that 10 fold concerning your preps if needed.

·
Registered
908 Posts
To try and help people who think America is "perfectly fine" and nothing can ever happen here?

My sister is moving to L.A. in September. She refuses to believe that our economic situation is going to cause problems, and that everything will be fine in her imaginary LaLa Land.

I have a friend, who when the subject is brought up, says, well, thats why I have you to come to. Are you kidding me? Don't think I'm gonna come to your rescue.. I doubt I can save myself if something happens,

I have another friend, who when I try to warn, (keep in mind, i don't push the subject, I've mentioned it once or twice at most) says, "don't even tell me, i don't know anything about that crap" and when I try to tell him and he says, "ok ya sure"

My girlfriend, even though she doesn't care that I buy items to prepare for the worst, says the same crap, that she doesn't understand it, and is doubtful annoying could ever happen here.

Is there any way to open these people's eyes up? Or is it a waste of my time. Of course I prep for me and my girlfriend, despite how she thinks. But I see all these other people I care about, simply turn their heads to everything, and look the other way.

Any tips? Do I send them Videos? Links to economic articles? I truly am convinced our economy is headed for the worst, but, is it just going to annoy them if I keep bringing it up? Or should I just, turn my head on them?

Sorry, fellas, I've been drinking. I get sad that nobody cares. Thanks.

What would/do you guys do?
Just keep doing what you're doing, and let them stick their heads in the sand! :thumb: When it all falls apart their heads will be somewhere yours isn't!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think it is worth it. But when you find yourself talking to a brick wall don't burn yourself out. Energy is better spent on those that are at least somewhat receptive.

·
Weed 'em and reap
30,610 Posts
To try and help people who think America is "perfectly fine" and nothing can ever happen here?

My sister is moving to L.A. in September. She refuses to believe that our economic situation is going to cause problems, and that everything will be fine in her imaginary LaLa Land.

I have a friend, who when the subject is brought up, says, well, thats why I have you to come to. Are you kidding me? Don't think I'm gonna come to your rescue.. I doubt I can save myself if something happens,

I have another friend, who when I try to warn, (keep in mind, i don't push the subject, I've mentioned it once or twice at most) says, "don't even tell me, i don't know anything about that crap" and when I try to tell him and he says, "ok ya sure"

My girlfriend, even though she doesn't care that I buy items to prepare for the worst, says the same crap, that she doesn't understand it, and is doubtful annoying could ever happen here.

Is there any way to open these people's eyes up? Or is it a waste of my time. Of course I prep for me and my girlfriend, despite how she thinks. But I see all these other people I care about, simply turn their heads to everything, and look the other way.

Any tips? Do I send them Videos? Links to economic articles? I truly am convinced our economy is headed for the worst, but, is it just going to annoy them if I keep bringing it up? Or should I just, turn my head on them?

None of the above. My goal has never been to convert people. That's too much to ask. What I try to do instead is bring everybody I know one step closer to preparedness. For those who already prep, that means sharing whatever insight I have that might be in theid blind spot. For the sheeple, I take those teachable moments to recommend they start a small garden or have 3 days worth of food on hand.

If all you are recommending is one small bite, people will often take that bite. Don't ask them to eat an entire steer in one sitting. It is not YOUR job to help them prepare, it is OUR job. Your piece may be small, but essential.

·
It is what it is.
1,617 Posts

Find the middle ground. I prep because it takes away the fears. When my husband was dying the preps came in handy. Not all disasters are national or even local, some are so very personal. You cannot save the world but you can share knowledge when others need it and it is valuable beyond all else, even food. Now take some headache meds and a big glass of OJ before going to bed or you will wake up with a hangover.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I tried to warn everyone at work and got met with ridicule.
Last week one of the girls, one I really like ,...bought me an expensive bottle of perfume....because I had been a bit down. I was a bit shocked and thought "how very lovely". The next day she proceeded to tell me that I may be right and things are not looking too good as she had been talking to her brother who works in an import / export situation and things are grinding to a halt. This is the girl who told me she will be coming around to my place in a SHTF situation. Seems she means it !
I think we are going to have more and more realise we were correct and start to count us as their preps !

·
Registered
559 Posts
For those that say it is worth it to try and change them, I say that you are just interfering with natural selection and further enabling the decay of the human as a species.

The ones that are not smart enough to catch on by themselves simply aren't worth keeping in the gene pool.
Real with just a slight sprinkle of harsh, I like it.:thumb:

·
Get off my lawn
4,957 Posts
OP, I know what you mean. It's difficult seeing people you care about throwing caution to the wind, believing nothing will ever change. You asked if you, or anyone else, should turn your head on them - my thought is not to. Not seeing the writing on the wall makes you neither a bad person or ruthlessly ignorant. We all have our own choice to make about our friend and what we would do if things turned wrong. I just try to put a few food items away that I would be willing to offer them in their dire moments. A hungry person isn't going to turn down a can of generic corn (just an example).

I guess what I am trying to say is this: if things are really bad I will already have my mind filled with a bevy of continuous calculation and survival, sleeping will be rare, I don't want to further complicate that by making an enemy of my friend. Or worse, a sibling. I won't be able to coddle them but perhaps help them slip through their worst hours. Beyond that, it's either reciprocate or I simply can't donate more. At least I made the first effort. (not sure if that all came out right)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts