Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
WhoopAss Kwon Do Teacher
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if they require this insurance on guns and it passes in Mass and now in Ct it will surely catch on. The insurance companies will basically regulate through cost, who can own a gun. Maybe they limit the insurance to accompany carry permits - you can own it, but it can't leave your house without insurance and permit.
Some folks say that car insurance is required - so why not gun insurance? Remember that guns are a right, cars are a privilege. So its not the same.

Then where does this stop?
Will I need speech insurance? What if I say something that hurts someone's feelings, or something that is not true? Do I need a policy for this as well?
What if I am questioned by the police and refuse to answer? Do I need insurance to cover this as well?

How about this -- Constitutional Protection Policies in the amount of $1 Billion dollars for politicians that draft or propose laws that are unconstitutional.

That one makes the most sense to me. Then I can go about my business without constant harassment from these morons.

How do you feel about this issue? If you like the idea of another (austerity measure) mandatory insurance, please tell me what questions on the insurance application you would consider acceptable. And if denied coverage would you surrender your permit, your guns, or your freedom?

·
Weed 'em and reap
31,317 Posts
So if they require this insurance on guns and it passes in Mass and now in Ct it will surely catch on. The insurance companies will basically regulate through cost, who can own a gun. Maybe they limit the insurance to accompany carry permits - you can own it, but it can't leave your house without insurance and permit.
Some folks say that car insurance is required - so why not gun insurance? Remember that guns are a right, cars are a privilege. So its not the same.

Will I need speech insurance? What if I say something that hurts someone's feelings, or something that is not true? Do I need a policy for this as well?
What if I am questioned by the police and refuse to answer? Do I need insurance to cover this as well?

How about this -- Constitutional Protection Policies in the amount of $1 Billion dollars for politicians that draft or propose laws that are unconstitutional.

That one makes the most sense to me. Then I can go about my business without constant harassment from these morons.

How do you feel about this issue? If you like the idea of another (austerity measure) mandatory insurance, please tell me what questions on the insurance application you would consider acceptable. And if denied coverage would you surrender your permit, your guns, or your freedom?
Well, I just skimmed the Constitution again and didn't see, among its scant few articles and amendments, anything suffering the federal government the authority to require anyone to buy anything.

·
ΙΧΘΥΣ
9,746 Posts
They are going to argue that it is no different than liability insurance for your car. They will somehow connect it to the regulation of interstate commerce and that will be all she wrote. I just KNEW they wouldn't stop with forcing folks to buy health insurance. Pretty soon we will be forced to buy food insurance (everyone has to eat, you know), and any other type of insurance they can come up with. Grrrrrr

·
Pantomime Villain
3,969 Posts

I'm not sure how the American NRA works but the British NRA provide about £2 million worth of insurance to members gratis. Worth finding out.

As for saying things that are untrue ... you're liable to be sued for libel or
slander depending on whether it's in written or spoken form - unless it's covered by fair comment.

You're covered by the fifth amendment when asked questions by the police.

·
WhoopAss Kwon Do Teacher
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I just skimmed the Constitution again and didn't see, among its scant few articles and amendments, anything suffering the federal government the authority to require anyone to buy anything.
I agree with you whole-heartedly on this. I thinks it is abuse of power, favoritism, and completely unconstitutional. It like the powers-that-be think of the Constitution as a plaything, something they should try to thwart. They should respect it and not abuse it.
Thanks H Drudge

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
They are going to argue that it is no different than liability insurance for your car. They will somehow connect it to the regulation of interstate commerce and that will be all she wrote.
They might argue that point, but it is false. I am not required to have liability insurance on my vehicle. I am required to do so if I want to operate it on public roads. I can drive around on my property all day without it.

Yes, it would create a registry.

Yes, it would infringe on the COTUS.

How do you feel about this issue?
I hate it. I barely even think that insurance companies, as they exist today, should even be allowed to breath, much less have anything to do with a Right. Whoever suggested this in legislation should move to China.

And if denied coverage would you surrender your permit, your guns, or your freedom?
I would move to a free state. If it became federally mandated, I would move to a state that refused to enforce it. There will be about 38 to choose from.

·
WhoopAss Kwon Do Teacher
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure how the American NRA works but the British NRA provide about £2 million worth of insurance to members gratis. Worth finding out.

As for saying things that are untrue ... you're liable to be sued for libel or
slander depending on whether it's in written or spoken form - unless it's covered by fair comment.

You're covered by the fifth amendment when asked questions by the police.
There you go - if I use my gun unjustly and cause damage there are plenty of really strong laws to punish me and civil courts to take all my wealth and give it to the injured. So how is that different than a libel suit for defamation? There are laws for both.

5th amendment - the point I am asking is this - if I have to have insurance to be granted one of my constitutional rights would I need another policy for each of the other constitutional rights that I that the constitution say I have?

Then what?
I get my car insurance, my health insurance, and each of my constitutional amendment policies, then what... and where does it end?
I the Second Amendment a "right" if I have to be granted an insurance policy for it? And is it a right if I have to pay for it?

·
WhoopAss Kwon Do Teacher
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would move to a free state. If it became federally mandated, I would move to a state that refused to enforce it. There will be about 38 to choose from.
I agree with all that you said - good point on the car insurance, but I think that driving is privilege //// and 2A is a right not to be infringed upon and there is a difference in my eyes.

The insurance lobby is so powerful in my state that they run the whole show. If they jump, our little governor quivers ''like a dog that's been beat too much'' and he is on his first of two guaranteed terms - so I might be screwed. Well, screwed from a carry standpoint - I will still have it (gun) in my home no matter what. Do not count Tennessee in your 38 (take a look at our new and ever growing Work Comp laws.) Blue Cross has a monopoly on this state no matter what Odummer says.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Blue Cross has a monopoly on this state no matter what Odummer says.
Insurance companies have a monopoly in every state, they operate under anti-trust exemptions. They're evil incarnate.

I agree with all that you said - good point on the car insurance, but I think that driving is privilege //// and 2A is a right not to be infringed upon and there is a difference in my eyes.
You're absolutely right, one is a Right and the other isn't specifically enumerated in the Bill of Rights. Under the 9th it could easily be so though. Their argument is still flawed, it wouldn't make sense if they were both enumerated.

·
WhoopAss Kwon Do Teacher
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think the NRA has an "NRA Endorsed" liability type offering. Endorsed is the operative word. The endorsed company may kick-back a little of your money to the NRA, but I am not sure that they do.

·
WhoopAss Kwon Do Teacher
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
They are going to argue that it is no different than liability insurance for your car. They will somehow connect it to the regulation of interstate commerce and that will be all she wrote. I just KNEW they wouldn't stop with forcing folks to buy health insurance. Pretty soon we will be forced to buy food insurance (everyone has to eat, you know), and any other type of insurance they can come up with. Grrrrrr
Forcing us to buy this and that, camera lights, more fees for this and that -- I think of all these things as auterity measures to help prop up an over inflated over-entitled government. Sorry all you executive public workers - but I think Obama care is a way to get more money to help cover 'your' benefits.

·
Trouble following rules
2,201 Posts
Hmmm, not even medical insurance??? Well, I'll be damned... maybe someone should advise Dear Leader of this. ;)

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
my benefits are entirely self funded, but it is a state teachers retirement system, we don't pay into social security so we do not draw from it either.

The TRS takes no federal money in and is paid by member contributions and investments.

We have state benefits because we are a non profit charter school that takes juveniles from county probation departments and CPS, they live on site and get job skills training in addition to counseling and educational services.

My federal benefits are earned because I put my life on the line for them and suffer permanent injuries as a result.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts