Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ground some dried sweet corn once and it was horrible, might as well been sawdust. It was one of the hybrid super sweet varieties.

Nowdays I grow heirlooms, and Golden Bantam is one of the most prolific corns I can grow at my altitude. The corn doesn't shrivel up as much as the hybrid. Is it useful for anything, even chicken feed???

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, we froze a bunch last year, it had gotten past the stage where it was sweet enough to make good roasting ears, but it was good for soups. I really don't want to rely on freezing as a prepper though because electricity/refrigeration will probably be about the first thing that will go. I guess we could can a lot.

But still, I grow much more than we could use for canned corn in a year.

I don't have chickens YET, it's good to hear that the corn that is excess has some use. Would it be more palitable to chickens if I cracked it??? I have a grain mill.

I'm going to try to make some corn meal out of my GB when it gets fully dry, maybe it will be better than the hybrid stuff.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.