Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ground some dried sweet corn once and it was horrible, might as well been sawdust. It was one of the hybrid super sweet varieties.

Nowdays I grow heirlooms, and Golden Bantam is one of the most prolific corns I can grow at my altitude. The corn doesn't shrivel up as much as the hybrid. Is it useful for anything, even chicken feed???

·
Certified Organic Grower
4,969 Posts
Golden Bantam is good fresh, and does well frozen.
It has a short milk stage, so harvesting at the right time before freezing is key to a sweet kernel.

Dried GB on the cob is a delight for chickens too.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, we froze a bunch last year, it had gotten past the stage where it was sweet enough to make good roasting ears, but it was good for soups. I really don't want to rely on freezing as a prepper though because electricity/refrigeration will probably be about the first thing that will go. I guess we could can a lot.

But still, I grow much more than we could use for canned corn in a year.

I don't have chickens YET, it's good to hear that the corn that is excess has some use. Would it be more palitable to chickens if I cracked it??? I have a grain mill.

I'm going to try to make some corn meal out of my GB when it gets fully dry, maybe it will be better than the hybrid stuff.

·
Homesteader
4,467 Posts
Try parching it. Your particular variety might be a problem but parched corn is quite delicious and makes very good trail food. Now you may have left it dry to far for best results but it's worth experimenting with. With the super sugar I'm surprised that it is not very good.

I would guess that the hybrid is shriveling more because of the sugar content.

I've gone to mostly open pollinated too so I can use the seed from year to year. Some of the hybrids are very good so I still use some (just don't save the seed).

Cracking it for the chickens is fine (probably better) but I've fed them whole kernels and they do fine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.