Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a book on it, and I have about six months of food stored for my family but working towards a year. I keep an assortment of foods but mostly its the emergency long term dried food. Its simple and last 15 years plus if stored correctly. And as most of you know, store bought canned foods last way longer then the expiration date. So if you are into canning, whats your opinion on how its cheaper or easier?

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Well since the only produce we buy every year is citrus and avocado's we think so. We have healthy non GMO food that is picked at the best time and done the way we like it. Not done with tons of salt, or chemical's. Also we do allot of our game that way,why because we usually get about 1200 to 1600 pounds of wild game each year. I would hate to have it all in the freezers and lose all power for a month. So for us canning is a yearly ritual just for normal life.

·
patriarch
4,798 Posts
Interesting guestion. I've asked myself that same question many of times. Its not easier! Any real homemaker will tell you that its easier to go out and work.
In my case, after the initial investment, jars & canner, its just raising a crop, processing, & canning. Guess I could be watching soaps (general hospital). So, did I save any money on them 150 quarts of tomatoes?

How much is canned beef in the store, 16oz can? One free deer produces, 40-50 lbs of venison, which will produce 40-50 pint jars of ready to eat beef/venison. Did I save any money?
I realize in your mind that I would be paying myself a salary, but not for real, actually I donate my time to the future of my family. So, no wages paid.
With this being said, I know what I put on my crops, in the jar. I cannot guess what is in store bought food.
We made #45 of summer sausage just a couple months back. I had to purchase seasonings & casings for the meat, ($27). Meat was free. Compared to my brother-in-law, he purchased a deer tag, ($24) shot a nice deer. He took it to the butcher shop and had summer sausage made, #41 is what he got. He told me the bill was $169.00. You can do the math like I did. If you have an important job that requires your attention, then paying someone to do the job may be feasible. He is retired, I wish I were!

When your freeze dried is gone, have you thought about, "what then?"

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Years ago when I still lived with my parents, I had gone out of town for a friend's wedding. On the way home, I passed a farm stand out in the middle of the country. They had pick your own tomatoes. I believe it was like 25 cents a lb? Anyway, I picked a ton of them! Drove home, and my mom was going to help me make tomato sauce. I thought this was going to make jars and jars and jars of food.

To my surprise (never having canned anything before), after all that work in the hot kitchen, we only got like 10 pint jars of sauce. I wasn't impressed. I ended up paying like twice the price of the stuff in the stores (I also included the cost of the jars). Was canning worth it? Nope, not at all.

Fast forward a few years, I live on my own and have a huge garden. Last year I canned over 100 jars of tomato products. And, since I already have the jars, and I'm growing most of the food, the cost to can it is next to nothing. And I also understand now all the potential chemicals and garbage in store canned food. Is canning worth it now? Absolutely!

·
Deo iuvante
4,977 Posts
We mostly can things that we want to eat, and it's pretty much universally better tasting than anything similar we could buy. I've never tried to figure out the cost. We have a large garden. When we had a few too many tomato plants survive a couple of years ago, we ended up with about 400lbs of extra tomatoes. We canned tomato soup, tomato-vegetable soup, tomato sauce, tomato paste, stewed tomatoes, and whole tomatoes. It was a lot of food that would have just gone to waste (or been given away) if we hadn't been able to can it.

The following year, cold came early and caught all of our tomatoes still green. Not to fear, we canned green tomato salsa, green tomato mincemeat, salsa verde, and green tomato chili sauce. So that year we turned what some would have called an unsuccessful harvest into a lot of stored food. And that's just the tomatoes! We can also can our own pumpkin pie filling, jams, pickles of various sorts, and more.

We get a lot of other fruits and vegetables from family and friends who are farmers. So we can apple sauce, apple butter, and apple pie filling, peach pie filling, strawberry, blackberry, raspberry, and blueberry jams. It's a lot of work, but very satisfying when done. We'll often host a big canning party in the fall for doing big batches, so there is help with all of the chopping and cooking and everyone can go home with jars of goodness.

·
Super Moderator
20,619 Posts
It is easier and cheaper to go to the store and buy a can of tomatoes. However, there is no comparison to the taste of home canned food. Even if you buy stuff from the farmer's market or CSA instead of having your own garden it is very much worth it.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Canning yourself isn't cheaper but it's much better.

The main things I can are meat and beans. I know exactly what is in the jar... and I can put in exactly enough for a meal so my cost is lower than if I had to open a jar that was 1/2 again as big as I needed.

I still buy cans of veggies when they are on sale because I don't have an enormous amount of time, however I do know how to can them.

·
Registered
8,181 Posts
I bought a book on it, and I have about six months of food stored for my family but working towards a year. I keep an assortment of foods but mostly its the emergency long term dried food. Its simple and last 15 years plus if stored correctly. And as most of you know, store bought canned foods last way longer then the expiration date. So if you are into canning, whats your opinion on how its cheaper or easier?
My opinion:

If you buy grocery store tomatos at $1 a pound and can them, then you are spending $1 on a PINT of canned tomatos, plus the lid and the fuel and the labor and perhaps 1/10 of the cost of the jar (Depreciation). Call it $!.75 per pint. You could buy it cheaper if you wait for sales.

A pint weights a pound, so 1 pound of tomatos should fill a pint jar

But, if you raise the tomatos then you can have perhaps 10 cents in 2 pounds of tomatos, and the lid and 1/10 the value of the jar (depreciation) then you have spent 75 cents for a QUART of tomatos, which is half the cost of what you get in the store.

If you and your family eat a lot of tomatos, then it is a real savings to can your home-grown tomatos, but it may not pay if you have to buy them.

When I was growing up my Mom would can 200 quarts of home-grown tomatos a year for our family of 8, and so it was a real savings to have our spagetti sauce at half price

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I just had jello with peaches that I canned last summer. We have a small orchard. There is only so much jelly that you can eat, so canning the fruit makes sense. I dried a lot a couple of years ago, still have it. You will eat the canned food. So canning is well worth it. If another wild pig walks into the pasture, I may can it. the freezer is full. both freezers. Of note is canning only uses electricity when I'm processing. the freezer uses juice all the time.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I like to can my own meat when the grocery store is having a good sale..not only for my convience ..its long shelf life..its cheaper and taste better then the mystery meat you get in a can at the grocery store..but will save you money from buying takeout food too! If I'm sick,don't feel like cooking or whatever the reason might be I have something easy and already cooked to just pull off my shelf! I have canned my own Chili,Taco Meat,Beef In A Wine Sauce,Meatloaf,Chicken Breast and Tomato Sauce w/Hamburger...I have berry bushes that I made my own jam's..Had resources that gave me free Apples & Peaches so I made canned Applesauce,Apple Pie Filling,Peach Pie Filling & Peach Jam! Once my own Fruit Orchard starts producing I will be canning that fruit as well..I have a good size garden but for the past 4-yrs my garden gets hit with diseases..so I end up with very little to can...The feeling you get from canning your own food no words can express..I wouldn't say its cheaper than store bought sometimes~it depends on the sales..but I feel the investment in return for my family's health and the self gratitude beats the savings.

Another thing I would like to mention is Im a sahm so my job is help save my family money..I love canning,water bath canning to build up my stock of foods..I have the time unlike most people..Its A LOT of work but I love it!

·
Stop being on my side!
8,536 Posts
How much is canned beef in the store, 16oz can? One free deer produces, 40-50 lbs of venison, which will produce 40-50 pint jars of ready to eat beef/venison. Did I save any money?
I realize in your mind that I would be paying myself a salary, but not for real, actually I donate my time to the future of my family. So, no wages paid.
Not to mention that most canned meat is nasty. I agree with you about the salary, and would add that I think of a lot of my farm/garden type activities as entertainment. How much is basic cable? That's how much I'm not paying. ;)

·
patriarch
4,798 Posts
Not to mention that most canned meat is nasty. I agree with you about the salary, and would add that I think of a lot of my farm/garden type activities as entertainment. How much is basic cable? That's how much I'm not paying. ;)
Most people that discusses gardening, canning, raising my own food has one thing on their mind, $$$$$$$$ The first thing out of their mouth is "if you figure your time spent doing all that crap, you aint saving a cent"! What they don't realize is my time is doing what I want to do with my time.

·
Stop being on my side!
8,536 Posts
Most people that discusses gardening, canning, raising my own food has one thing on their mind, $$$$$$$$ The first thing out of their mouth is "if you figure your time spent doing all that crap, you aint saving a cent"! What they don't realize is my time is doing what I want to do with my time.
Exactly. It's not so much about comparing the price of green beans or eggs or whatever -- it's about one lifestyle versus another. By modern American crybaby standards, I work my butt off just to put food on the table. But I'm a lot happier (and healthier) than when I made tons of money for doing useless stuff and bought food at the local chain store.

·
Registered
16,008 Posts
I see it as much the same as handloading your own ammo, it might not be much, if any, cheaper, but you have more control and know exactly what is going in the jar.

Growing your own to can is always the best, but even canning fresh from the farmer's market or produce store is better than store bought. That said, we do buy a fair amount of canned tomato products at the store. We go through at least 10 gallons of tomato products a year, so use most of our home grown fresh.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I like the satisfaction of growing and canning my own food. It tastes better and I know what's in it. I like being outside in the summer tending the garden, and my friends and neighbors love the extra produce. Any fool can buy cans from the store, but what happens when the shelves are bare? I understand some would rather go to the store so they have more time to play video games, but that's not me.

·
Super Moderator
20,619 Posts
That is a good point. Plus the water costs, fertilizer/compost, tools, etc. I think gardening can be expensive in the beginning.

But it's the great taste and no chemicals that I really like when I can food.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts